Techmation Employee Reviews

short lived expirience
Apprentice Electrician (Nightshift) (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB23 April 2018
short lived experience with under paid workers when out of town. i do not recommend working for this company unless its a last resort and need employment.
Lowest pay, If you like bing just a number this is for you!
Apprentice Electrician (Former Employee) –  Acheson, AB18 April 2018
Lowest pay of any employer, industrial first year is $17. They make you pay $150 for you coveralls. You get one pair. They work you like a number, awful management. Don't even think about going a minute over your break time, you will be noticed. Just avoid, do yourself a favour.
Pros
Cons
See review..
fun
Foreman (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB9 April 2018
Fun and rewarding place to work. People were the best part of the job. Only bad thing is if it slow you will be sitting. Other than that i enjoyed my time there
Its a job
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 March 2018
Really has a big compnay feel to it. You dont feel like you really grown with the company, more you like you just help the company grow. Management really doesnt care much about the guys in the field more about the numbers. Lay offs seemed to be for random workers on site. I wateched good guys get layed off while the less effective workers stayed. The last big issue is that pay checks were always wrong, not for one guy but for mutiple guys consistently from cheque to cheque. If you have other opportunities with other companies i would definitely take it.
Pros
Decent hours, good guys to work with
Cons
Management, job security, paychecks are wrong
Lots of work at a low wage
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Bonnyville, AB10 January 2018
They acquired a bunch of work because they started biding jobs at a rate way lower than the other E/I contractors, and that low rate was reflected in the quality of the work we were doing. Thanks to Techmation E/I is the lowest payed trade in the oil and gas industry, and by a good margin.
Pros
lots of work, safety
Cons
low wages, cut corners to save a penny
Bringing E/I back 50 years
Journeyman Instrumentation Tech (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC7 January 2018
Terrible big company mentality where the bottom line takes presidence over the employees who make profit for them. During slower times due to lower resource prices they chose to slash rates in an attempt to rapidly expand. Except you get what you pay for, and the quality workers that had the positions that they hostiley procured didn’t stay long, or didn’t move over at all. That’s why there’s the constant barrage of employee wanted ads. The have lots of work that requires highly skilled technicians, but they don’t offer even close to an acceptable wage to attract them. At least in other trades management stands up for the worth of their workers and would never slash rates. As it’s a complete insult that ultimately dumbs down the two trades that should and once required and attracted highly intelligent people.
Pros
Cons
Low pay, low quality journeyman to learn from
Good people and lots of work
Electrician Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB25 November 2017
These guys have lots of work and have a good group to work with. The foreman are easily approached and are willing to teach and give advice. I have been working here for over a year now and am happy. I would recommend working here.
Pros
Lots of work
Cons
Most of the work is out of town
Great guys, good management, lots of hours
Instrumentation Technician (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB25 November 2017
I have always stayed very busy with lots of hours. The guys are great to work with lots of fun. Management is responsive and has always kept me busy. I do work out of town a lot but I am good with that
Pros
Great guys, and good work experience
Good for work
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Alberta4 November 2017
A lot of favoritism so no real room for advancement unless your best friends with someone in management, it's not what you know it's who you know. Work was always done safely, usually steadier than most companies but they nickle and dime with pay.
Pros
Consistent work
Cons
no room for advancement, management pick favorites, paying way less than going journeyman rate
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Acheson, AB13 March 2017
Was a good place to work. Everyone had fun, and the foreman were approachable. Got along well with everyone, and had lots of fun. Good work dynamic among everyone.
Great company to work for but hours are unpredictable.
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, AB6 January 2017
This was my first electrical company. I enjoyed the work but hours varried due to the price of oil. Company was managed very well. Safety was always the most important part of the job. Hardest part of the job was working outside in the cold.
Pros
Good money
Cons
Working in the cold
It'll do for local work
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB22 November 2016
I worked at the Blackfalds Mod yard on and off for a while. The mod yard life isn't the worst. Home every night. But every construction job gets layoffs, and their method for laying people off is horrid. No loyalty at all. No transparency between the management and the employees whatsoever.
was a good job expirience
Full time summer job (Former Employee) –  Olds, AB5 July 2016
Show up early at work have a morning meeting, to talk about the work contracts for the day, and what I would be doing.

I learned about the different kinds of oilfield sites, equipment, and situations you would be in. How to meter prove, read different weekly reports of flow and equipment, and other oilfield tasks that you would have to do in the workforce.

The management was nice and understanding, tried to include me in the everyday work that went on, still being in school at the time.

Co-workers were oilfield workers so some days were more crude than others

The long days of work were tiring, some of the time having to work twelve hour days.

Learning a lot about the oilfield and I was able to put some of the concepts I learnt about to use.
Pros
lots of overtime
Cons
the negative oilfield attitudes
Fun, dedicated group and atsmophere.
Electrician Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, AB18 August 2015
Management was a bit off and unresponsive a lot. Gave last minute job, where you were expected to pack for a 10 day job in a matter of hours. Just to be out at work for 18+ days. Great group of people to work with as long as you were liked.
Pros
Great people and lots of work back in the day.
Cons
Favouritism, Rushed, Hard to learn anything
words from the unemployed
Instrument Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 June 2015
Was a great company to work for with good people, as a company taking a person (myself) who knew pretty much nothing and gave me a second chance on my tq, I felt blessed to know something I consider what I do quite exciting when I can talk to others who would understand such concepts
shame they didn't get the contract to give me a job but shameless nonetheless
proud to have it on my resume hope the experience will benefit on the next job
Pros
working
Cons
not working
Gained a lot of knowledge from working with Techmation
Instrumentation Technician (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB1 June 2015
Techmation was a good starting company for me to get some knowledge of what instrumentation really was. I met a lot of great guys in the process of being there. Upper management did like to try to pay you as little as they possibly could which made it hard to stick with the company.
steady work
2nd Year Electrician (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB12 May 2014
Good company to start your apprenticeship but could have more qualified personel on site