Techmation Electric & Controls Ltd Employee Reviews

Steady work. Nice to have in this economy
E/I maintanance (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 October 2019
My interaction with anyone at Techmation is extremely limited, I go to the clients site, work, go home. Hardly ever talk to anyone, which I don't mind. Pay could be better but the economy isn't helping that.
apprentice electrician
Apprentice Electrician (Former Employee) –  Dawson Creek, BC22 September 2019
travel between BC and Alberta

Lots of camp work

if you show potential they will encourage you in career growth

you will be cold

good guys

learn lots
Pros
educational
Cons
not consistent work
Great culture and fair treatment of employees
1st Year Electrical Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Hardisty, AB20 September 2019
Always felt like I was a valued employee, even at the entry level. Really glad there was such a focus on safety and the mentor ship was excellent in that I could always ask questions and the Journeymen were always happy to answer.
Terrible work conditions and managment
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 September 2019
One of the cheapest companies I have ever worked for in my professional career. Found it very difficult to get the slightest necessities like a heated washroom with ability to wash you hands. Management onsite was very weak and didn't take into consideration any of the simplest suggestions from the crew at site level.

Safety Equipment was slim and hard to supply to the crew trying to complete a task. Every employee was expected to provide all power tools to conduct any task, company didn't supply any. Material was not readily available so tasks got started and then left incomplete. Never knowing when material was coming in and when it did no communication that it was received.

Overall I will not work for this company again and would not recommend it anyone in the future.
Great place to start my trade.
1st year apprentice (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB7 August 2019
I started my trade 8 years ago with Techmation. From the day I walked into the office in Red Deer, Management was very helpful with introducing me to the company the trade and what to expect and also what was expected of me after 2 years of working for Techmation I took a chance to make more money. I worked for 3 of the largest E&I companies over the next 6 years and cant believe the difference in management and trades people who don't care and how you are treated. I did get paid more money at a couple of the companies I worked for but when I looked back, I made less money through the year for sitting around for those other companies not working when they say they have work. I will never forget the manager that hired me and all the field foreman who guided and trained me. when I look back they always kept me busy always had work and most of all management respected the employees so for the couple dollars I made less at Techmation it would of been worth it just to stay.
But I am a consultant now and have made Techmation Electric my go to Electrical contractor for all my jobs. I will never use any other contractor that I worked for over the years .
Thank you and keep up the good work at being a leader in this trade and creating the best trades people in our industry
Pros
Great people to work for and lots of work.
Cons
They could pay a little better
Well its a job.
3rd Year Apprentice Electrician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 August 2019
This Company must go through more employees then any I've ever seen. My first week there two of my supervisors quit , had no idea who i was supposed to be working for as their replacement took a while to figure everything out , He ended up quitting too. The culture was pretty awful, There were a small group of techmation workers who had been there for a little while and they had grown sick of seeing new faces it would seem as they were not a very friendly bunch to most new hires. They also make you pay for there coveralls you are required to wear which is probably because most people only work there as a last resort and quit not long after starting. The one positive thing i could is they always seem to have work, and its usually mind numbing easy, they'd hire j man and have them on cable pulling so you don't need to know much to work here regardless of your apprentice level. so overall its just a paycheck until you find some real electrical to do.( the head safety got highly intoxicated and ran over the welder at a golf tourney)
Pros
Pay cheques
Cons
Everything else
If you are hard working and willing to sacrifice personal life for work its great!
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, AB13 July 2019
Those people who live to work but can party hard when they get a moment are the kind of people they are looking for.
Pros
Steady work
Cons
Low wages and away alot more
Upper branch management made for a bad work place
Maintenance Electrician (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB11 July 2019
The company as a whole was a good place to work. The electrical manager was on his game and a good individual to report to, the branch manager was not. It was because of the branch manager that i didn't fully enjoy my time there.
Pros
Good team to work with.
Cons
Branch manager
Good Place to Work
Electrician (Current Employee) –  Dawson Creek, BC13 June 2019
Great team, and always busy. Management cares about employees, good group of experienced electricians to learn from and grow with. Plenty of work to keep workers busy but also understanding of need for time away for family.
i like working for this company
Electrician (Current Employee) –  Airdrie, AB31 May 2019
i have worked at Techmation for the last three years. My out of town shift has been mostly a 15-6, I have been ale to work lots of hours with some good OT. The week off is great and the money has been even better. My co-workers are awesome and the management has treated really good. The safety culture is strong but yet it doesn't get in the way of us getting the job done. I would highly recommend this company to others, I worked with other E&I companies in the past and Techmation is by far the best company so far that I have worked for
Pros
Lots of hours
Cons
none really, I like working here
Good place to make money, poor workplace culture
Regional Instrumentation Manager (Former Employee) –  Weyburn, SK30 May 2019
*I liked the place to work and always had work
* had a major disconnect between head office and various different branches.
*Good company for developing safety programs
apprentice electrician
Apprentice Electrician-4th year (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC29 May 2019
Job security is quite good. This comes with a caveat however. The pay is very low for camp work. That may just be a sign of the times but it's very hard to justify leaving your family for 2 weeks at a time for compensation comparable to local work.
Knowledgeable employees and great work environment
Electrical Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Acheson, AB2 May 2019
Management is approachable and easy to talk to. The hardest part of the job is the time away from home. The most enjoyable part was meeting people that i have formed friendships with outside of work.
Pros
All Good
Great Company
Electrician (Current Employee) –  Acheson, AB2 May 2019
Excellent company with great opportunity. Safety and quality are at the highest standard and they have always treated me good and have been flexible with days off when I needed them.
Pros
great safety culture, great opportunities
Journeyman Electrician
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC26 April 2019
Worked out of the FSJ shop. This company is terrible for the industry, they drive wages down and treat you like a rented mule. You have to pay for your own company logo coveralls and safety training, on top of that enjoy providing ALL tools even drill bits and taps. Safety is all for show, you are encouraged to do risky / sketchy stuff daily. The management is a boys club most aren't qualified just friends of friends. If you are desperate sure they always have work because of these reasons.

The best part about it is all 5 star reviews from current management because they know tech would be rated 1 star without them inflating the numbers on indeed.
Pros
Cons
All of the above.
Great environment with strong safety culture
First Year Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Hardisty, AB23 April 2019
I found the team very easy to get along with and there was always a focus on safety that everyone (especially management) took very seriously. There was no exclusion for any reason and no grudges. Everything was dealt with in a timely manner and we felt taken care of.
Lots of work
QAQC Inspector / Red Seal Electrician (Former Employee) –  Acheson, AB23 April 2019
This company is great if you are looking to advance your career. They seem to always be hiring, so it doesn't take too long and pretty soon your not the new guy anymore.
Terrible Company
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 April 2019
Work for them for 6 months now i can never get rehired. Worst wages in the province just bringing down the average and lowering all wages every where. Management are all chummy so if you're new good luck to not getting layed off. Safety is a joke, saying a board on cable tray is good for pulling cause there too cheap to setup scaffolding is a joke. CHECK YOUR CEC not for standing on or for sitting on. Make you work all your weekends then lay you off to replace you with long time employees after you've been on since the start.

HR shrugs off your calls either pretending to be too busy to answer them or pretends you have bad connection call and hang up on you.

There's trucks on site but there just for the foreman and supervisor to driver around in while you carry everything back and forth all day long.
Pros
Work unless you get replaced by lifers
Cons
everything else
Not the best place
Apprentice Electrician (Former Employee) –  Alberta6 April 2019
Worked for them on a couple jobs in Alberta.One was up north and they gave us misleading information to get us to the job site.
When there van was late they did not want to pay us for them being late so some of us lost there
The second job we were call in to help them get back on schedule after about a week or two went to work and found out that they got let go from the whole project
Pros
Cons
not the employer of choice
Low pay, not a happy place to work!
Administration (Former Employee) –  Hardisty, AB1 April 2019
I was fired after mentioning I have an auto-immune disease and was asking to go to my doctor to get a letter so I can renew my driver's licence to get their Security Clearance that was needed but they never gave me the chance. They neglected to tell me this during the phone interview and the formal interview so this could be ready for my first day of work. This is discrimination to my medical condition.
If you are an admin, don't settle for $19-$20 per hour, I got $24/hour!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Techmation Electric & Controls Ltd. Our community is ready to answer.