Teach For America Employee Reviews

Good!
Math Teacher (Former Employee) –  New York, NY20 April 2018
Teach For America did a great job at placing me at a school that really needed me, and I enjoyed teaching there for five (rather than the minimum requirement of two) years.
Competitive Teacher Training and Placement Organization
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  New York, NY17 April 2018
Teach For America is a competitive, fast-paced organization that seeks to place the most highly qualified college alums into high stakes teaching environment in low-income and under-resourced communities across the united states.
Pros
Excellent networking opportunity
Cons
You will be giving up two years of your life
Very challenging but creative and extremely collaborative opportunity
Charter Corps Member, Roosevelt High School (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MO17 April 2018
I was a Special Education teacher; I was responsible for teaching World History and Career English. I learned how to effectively teach complicated lessons in creative ways. The workplace culture was very collaborative. The most enjoyable part of my job was connecting with students who were not adequately supported in their educational endeavors.
Pros
Collaborative environment
Tfa
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  New York, NY9 April 2018
A lot of these questions don't really apply to this, as it an unpaid position through Americorps. There was no compensation or benefits. They did not really "employ" me, as I worked as a teacher in the Buffalo D
NYC failing school
Americorps member (Former Employee) –  New York, NY27 March 2018
NYC schools are failing due to bad management and lack of care for the kids.
Great at the Start, Disastrous Towards the End
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NY22 March 2018
In the beginning: great mission, great team, great work/life balance. Then, an ill-equipped CIO was hired, followed by a host of under-performing staff, bad policies, mismanagement and abuses of authority and policy. For the sake of the (few) good people remaining I've given the place three stars, however, there was really nothing good left in the company by the time I resigned. The environment deteriorated so much that my resignation was more like a constructive firing: no human could expect to suffer the indignities that become the reigning culture.
Pros
nothing
Cons
Mismanagement and poor leadership
What is "Me Time"?
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TN17 March 2018
Difficult to maintain work/life balance as the job requires an insurmountable amount of work. TFA does however have excellent supports in place to further prossional development.
Pros
The mission, the kids
Cons
Mostly everything else
Great place to work if you can handle urban educational settings.
Corps Member (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MO10 March 2018
Great place to work if you can handle the job. This position is sort of an internship that places you in the classroom as a teacher in urban and rural areas where good teachers are most needed.
Never again
Summer School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PA25 February 2018
I had the misfortune of being placed at a charter that had a history of firing corps members. When I met the same fate as my predecessors, rather than supporting me based on my commitment to the mission of the organization, the organization chose to preserve their relationship with the school. Up until that point, I had supported the organization despite the miserable existence that the job required, but I became disillusioned about the disconnect between their stated mission and their actions. They are not there to support you, only the organization.
Fast-Track advancement through targeted professional development
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  South Dakota25 February 2018
Teach For America had an essential role in developing me as a teacher leader. Though the placement of my school, to the professional development opportunities through my two year commitment, I believe that my my career is set up.
Pros
International Network
Cons
Each region seems to be different from one another
Gateway to Education Career
Corps Member (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MO24 February 2018
If you like working in an urban setting and need training, schooling, and certification paid for then TFA is for you!

The experience is different depending on location and school placement, but do your research and make the right choice for you.
Pros
Education award, masters program partnership, certification training
Cons
Difficult partner school
Great
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GA19 February 2018
Very big help if you want to become a teacher but did not go to school for education. Highly competitive selection process though. Will help you financially relocate if needed
Great Organization with a lot of growth opportunities!
Educator/Teacher (Current Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TX14 February 2018
Like any organization, you get what you put in. It has been an enjoyable experience to serve with this team. There are many opportunities to grow and build your skillset.
Supportive network, difficult job
Elementary Teacher (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NV6 February 2018
There are a tremendous amount of responsibilities that come along with Teach For America. Teaching alone is a difficult job. Teaching in poorly rated schools is even more challenging. Teaching in poorly rated schools while going through the TFA coursework can be exhausting at times.
Pros
supportive staff
Cons
endless responsibilities
If need a way into teaching
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  New York, NY5 February 2018
High demands of new teachers. Puts lots of stress on teachers without giving them a lot of reinforcement. Expect you to attend all meetings, even though you are not paid through them.
Collaborative, fast-paced and inspiring
Manager, Recruitment (Current Employee) –  Portland, OR4 February 2018
TFA is an inspiring place to get to work at every single day. You will receive some of the best professional development out there and work alongside incredibly talented and passionate people. The work-life balance can be challenging given that it is a fast-paced environment but, it's a wonderful organization to work for.
Non Profit Organization linking leaders to teaching
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX30 January 2018
Teach for America is an organization that puts the country's best leaders into high need educational areas. They pave a path for alternate certification and for educational backgrounds and grounds all member in culturally responsive practices.
Pros
Cultural awareness, diversity hiring
Cons
Hard place to start a career as a teacher
High School Math Teacher (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PA25 January 2018
If you plan on teaching for life, there are stronger programs. This is a track to push you into leadership roles and other related fields - law, etc. Think about the nature of a short training program, they'll be a lot of scrambling for the first few years. Even if you did do a 4-year program on Ed.
Small fry in a big pond
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Boone, NC25 January 2018
I was a Campus Campaign Coordinator on a college campus working until I graduated and became a corps member. I was on a very small end of the recruiting team but got a good look into what it is like to work for the company.
Always Exciting
Managing Director, Enterprise Support Group (Former Employee) –  New York, NY16 January 2018
Emerging technology and always something new to learn and some new goal to reach for. Co-workers were very supportive, but management was very secretive. Lay-offs were always a concern.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Teach For America. Our community is ready to answer.