Tarpon Energy Services Employee Reviews

Workplace Culture
QHSE Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 January 2018
When I worked at Tarpon, I found the organization to be dysfunctional and difficult to imitate change. Management at the time was not supportive and appeared to focused to much on profit over people.
Pros
Learning experience
Cons
A good place to work with.
Document Controller / Administrative Officer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 November 2017
An awesome workplace and staff workforce. Good management and company policy. Employees safety is the first priority and everyone's development are being in placed from the beginning. The most enjoyable part of the job is being in the group all the time. Working as a team member developed my personal skills.
Great company to work for!
Second and Third Year Electrical Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 November 2017
This was my first industrial company. Everyone here was great to work for and with. Great benefits, great pay for in town work. Lots of over time you wanted it, and there site has a great set of amenities. Indoor bathrooms and a cafeteria open to all the staff. Office is also on site at the Calgary so it makes dealing with the office staff a lot easier
Productive Workplace
Draftsperson (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 October 2017
Excellent company to work for. Good management and everyone is committed with the company. Good benefits and comfortable facilities and offices. Recommended.
Organized, Approachable Management
Apprentice Electrician/Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB27 September 2017
In my 2 stints with Tarpon I was always treated fairly and honestly. The conduct their work in a safe manner and address all safety concerns. They always kept us informed on present and future Jobs
good
E & I Site Superintendant (Former Employee) –  kuwait15 September 2017
company and company policies is very good,accommodation,food,transportation also very good,work site safty is excellent,management and other officers are very friendly
Pros
free
Cons
long time
Fun work place
Apprentice Electrician (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB6 September 2017
Tarpon was a great place to work. They were very supportive and I felt with the journeyman I worked with I was trained in accuracy and execution of small assigned projects.
1st year electrical apprentice
First Year Electrical Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 August 2017
Consistent work at the time. tarpon wasn't to honest about end dates and layoffs though. wage was fair for in town work. Leadership was to a minimum do to the amount of guys they had working for them.
Project Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 August 2017
I was hired on as a Project Admin in Calgary. I was only able to work for a short period because my family unexpectedly relocated out of province. This was disappointing because I loved working there. What a great group of people, it was fun and the work was challenging. They were always flexible and accommodating. I would work there again in a heartbeat if I had the chance.
Trades orientated Company from ground up
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 August 2017
I found that the work environment was all Tradesmen throughout the company, even at the highest level. This is not seen very often. Tarpon is now merged with Warwick Industries and was very messy. Technology should be for the geeks, not tradesmen. Tech support was very different and not reliable. (lost backup) but people were great!
great pay/benifits not a great learning environment
2nd year - 4th year Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 June 2017
The company is a great place with great people. Excellent in town pay.

not the best place to learn a trade as the general attitude is here is a task now go figure it out.
Pros
good pay
Cons
not much learning
Safe Workplace
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 June 2017
-High standard of safe working environment
-Assistance in receiving the proper training to complete your job to the best of your ability including obtaining certificates.
poor management
INSTRUMENTATION TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB29 May 2017
poor management and bad scheduling led to many people being laid off to pinch pennies. The only redemption the job had was the coworkers, or at least some of them tried to help you out.
great company
Electrical Manager (Former Employee) –  Athabasca, AB26 May 2017
this was as well a great company to work for. With trying to raise a family I thought it would be better in joining a company that would have more flexible hours and work better with the family i have
Typical Oilfield/industrial
Electrical Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Nisku, AB9 May 2017
mostly unorganized, massive hires and layoffs, cut rates, un motivated crews
few decent managers/foreman
no job security
wont pay for safety training
too big
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 May 2017
seems like they hire way more bodies than what is needed, spent all day standing around pulling short runs of wire with 7 other electricians, when it couldve easily been done with less than half those numbers
poor place to work
Electrician (Industrial) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 May 2017
terrible management, mass hires and layoffs. If youre looking to make a quick buck this is the place to work, if youre looking for longevity and organization this is not the place for you
Poor management culture in engineering group
Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 February 2017
No planning ahead of time and everything had to be done yesterday
They have high expectations from you and you don't get any appreciation.
Every once in a while someone needs to remind the manager that this is not a classroom and you are not the teacher! really poor management culture...
In the engineering department I haven't seen anyone satisfied, everyone sticks around just because economy is down and there are not many opportunities out there.

However, I had good co-workers and friendly team members in our department (except the manager) and other departments.

The worst aspect of the job for an educated engineer is that you don't learn much ENGINEERING, you will learn however how things are assembled in a real shop and how things are run down in the chain...
Pros
fair job security
Cons
low pay, poor management, not the best place to learn
Big mod yard, lots of hours
Electrician Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 January 2017
The tarpon mod yard is a fast pace, high activity electrical yard. You can learn a lot due to the different types of buildings being built. Usual daily tasks include, fabricating strut, building tray, bending conduit, pulling wire, moving and installing MCC and switchgear and overall wiring and terminating gear.
consistent
ElEctrician apprEnticE (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 January 2017
it was hard to learn anything new as they had people who did certain tasks. Even if you requested to learn they would keep you doing the same thing because it would slow down their production and that's all that mattered. Your knowledge was not important.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tarpon Energy Services. Our community is ready to answer.