Talize Employee Reviews

Run away
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON11 April 2019
DO NOT WORK HERE!!!

Management picks on younger staff members but has respect for older employees. They abuse their power and talk down to you as if you’re slow. They pick favorites and Management is extremely phony. Supervisors love to huddle and gossip instead of actually doing any work and do NOT Lead by example. Pay is NOT worth the amount of stress you will endure while working here. They expect way to much from staff because they are under employed. Your hours will only be good in October and if you have allergies this place will trigger sinus issues! Stay away people!!! Not worth it.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Evil management
Bullying from Management
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON25 March 2019
If you raise any concerns to management, you will be punished. Management is incompetent and two faced. They’ll lie to your face and write you up for no good reason. This company does not like its employees. People are just a number and are replaced or bullied to quit.
Pros
Paid birthday
Cons
Be prepared to break a sweat
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON24 March 2019
Worked with the production (warehouse) team full time. A lot of pushing and lifting required so be prepared for that. Honestly, if it wasn't for the poor management I probably would've stayed. But being constantly yelled at for something out of my control was ridiculous. For instance, a manager once told me to change the light bulb. Yes because I get paid to risk my life for minimum wage. It did smell but I mean it is a thrift shop so what else do you expect. Overall 3/10. The people that I worked with were pretty cool but poor management couldn't make up for it. In just the three months I was there I saw a lot of people leave, either by force or by choice.
Pros
50% off, occasional pot luck
Cons
management
Management should be ashamed of themselves
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON23 March 2019
I have never worked in a place where there is so much b.s favoritism snitches that think they are going to be safe haha that's funny. Everyone there is replaceable and when they tell you your safe it's a lie...the production management will throw you under the bus. The sickness that goes around in there is unreal ...oh but if your not 100% you should stay home then the next day you are written up ..when new staff are hired they are afraid to ask questions so they end up quitting...now that's how you keep a good production team lol people are spoken to either like your stupid or a child ..needless to say just stay away until management is cleaned up !! Not likely to happen they are on power trips to see who can be thrown under the bus first ..oh and the comment about the recycling job must have been someone looking to stay safe well nobody is safe!!!
Pros
Days no weekwnds
Cons
Everything eles!
Back
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON17 March 2019
Horrible place to work. Management does not care about staff. Will not get days off when neededunless they decide to. Favouritism to certain staff. Bullying.
Pros
Not a thing
Cons
Entire production room
Fun and fast paced work environment
Recycler (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON2 March 2019
Talize is a great place to work if you actually like to work the days go by fast and there is always something to do I have been with talize for just under a year and have already made advances in the company if your looking for fast paced hard work give talize a chance.
Pros
Paid birthday off, Team events, Caring work environment, Room for advances in the company
Cons
Some days are rough and can drag on, Turnover rate is high
Joke.
Recycler (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC10 January 2019
I had worked at Talize Langley for a little over a year. Very grateful for my position but in the last few months since new mgmt took over it was never the same. Hours were cut, even though we were promised full hours, we were told we didn’t know how to do our job properly, safety issues were not being addressed etc. I decided it was time to move on. I found a new job that guaranteed full time hours with over time, and more pay and close to my home. I went in to give my notice and was told to leave they didn’t even let me finish my notice out.... WTH!
Pros
Discount, benefits, and I made a few new friends, other then that Nothing
Cons
New management seems like they don’t know what they are doing and very nervous.
Bad management
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON6 January 2019
Most of the sales floor managers are extremely rude and demeaning, except for one. If you don't know something, they'll sound annoyed and talk to you as if you're stupid. I spent several shifts holding back tears because of how stupid one manager made me feel. It doesn't matter if you're new; you're expected to know everything already.

There is extremely poor communication; everyone will give you a different answer. I once asked 5 different coworkers -- who had been working there since it opened -- where to put the rag-offs (unsellable items to be destroyed) and nobody could give me an answer. This happened repeatedly, and was very frustrating.

There is no schedule printed for everyone to view. They print out little personal schedules for each employee. Three times, they didn't print out mine, and they were annoyed at me for asking them to print one. They also won't tell you when your break is, so you have to ask them, and they get annoyed at that, too!

Customer service is supposed to be stressful because of the customers, not because of your employer. If the management changes, this might be an okay place to work. Otherwise it's just constant walking on eggshells.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Everything else
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON4 January 2019
Terrible company to work for...the only person in that company that knows anything is the manager in the brampton location. Otherwise the hr team for this company does not know what they are doing hence why the turn over is so high don't waste your time
Chaos
Production worker (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC13 December 2018
Used to like working here. Not sure what happened but all of a sudden heads were chopped off and it’s been chaos ever since. Keeping my head down and hoping for some form of leadership to return. Right now it’s just confusion.
Pros
50% discount
Cons
Dirty, lack of hours, no real management left
Productive, friendly work environment
Cashier/Production (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC3 December 2018
Most enjoyable part of job is getting to know customers and the regulars. fellow young employees, the little gathering pot lucks we had. dressing up for halloween month and thee contest
only had summer BBQ once a month
Bookkeeper (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 November 2018
it is small company the owner was not involve in employees work there was only VP he have done everything it was contract job so I don't have much about this company to say.
Pros
very quiet environment
Cons
no job security and benefit
Great job
Sales Floor Manager (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON1 November 2018
My time so far at Talize has been very different than my past retail jobs as the work-life balance is so much better than working 90% of other retail jobs. It is fast paced, never a dull moment and the team is great. The management team works well together making sure that the days run smoothly and the all team members are treated equal which helps keep staff motivated and creates a positive work environment.
Pros
work-life balance, positive enviroment
Highschool V2
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON25 October 2018
Great job if your in highschool. Work environment functions a lot like brats in highschool which is very entertaining. Management also makes critical moves and claims without any evidence or reason why these actions are made which will remind you a lot of your parents yelling at you for no reason. Like stated before the highschool atmosphere further conveys itself when you see your fellow employe favorited over you which leads to no raises and disrespect for the people who actually work. All in all this job will teach you valuable life lessons and how to deal with people . I recommend working here for a good time not a long time ...
Pros
50% off
Cons
Atmosphere, management
productive, positive, enjoyable
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC24 October 2018
A typical day at work was fun, upbeat, welcoming. I learned so much from the people I had the pleaser to work with. I learned how to sort items and give great customer services.
Worst environment I have ever worked in
Cashier // Delta, BC (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC2 October 2018
I had previously worked at the Talize in delta for nearly a year. i can say with confidence its by far the worst place I have worked at in my life. The following is some of the fun things you get to enjoy being an employee at Talize-

Very stressful place to work
Toxic work environment
Rude customers
Poor pay
Physically exhausting job
Store is filthy

Talize for me was one of those jobs that at the end of the work day you feel depressed and dead inside, and when waking up in the morning I would become nauseous knowing I had to do it all over again after barley getting through the previous day. I cant stress enough how rude and ignorant the management team is. Overall Talize is ok if you are a customer, but as a former employee I can confidently say that I would rather be unemployed that ever work there again.
Pros
It allows the less fortunate to be able to shop affordably
Cons
Pretty much everything if you are an employee
hours
Floor Rep/ Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON25 September 2018
was given full time hours when i was first hired, then was given only 5-10 hours a week as they hired to many employees after i was hired. hardest part was finding hours to work,
Pros
nice employees
Cons
short hours
Horribly Managed
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON12 September 2018
Talize is a great store; however, it is horribly managed.

There is a high turn over rate. The reason for such a high turn over rate is the lack of leadership from the management team. They lack the skills to properly hire the right candidates for the jobs and for current employees there is no development or coaching plan in place to help build a productive team.

Management uses fear based tactics and instead of coaching and developing people — they hire and fire, hoping to hire the right people rather than developing their team and discovering where people’s strength can be used in the business.

No job security. The company doesn’t care about its employees and only sees them as replaceable cogs in a wheel.

The store itself has gone down hill over the past six month. Not as clean. Higher prices. Morale is low among employees.

Low wages. (Min wage)
Pros
Mon-Fri day shift with weekends off, paid birthday off, benefits
Cons
Management, employee development, job security, wages
Unorganized Company
Sales (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 August 2018
Competitive salary and good work life balance however;

- management doesn't care about you - there's no real "coaching" or "development", and management is absent from site half the time (so if you want immediate answers, you'd be waiting a while)

- high turnover rate, job security is questionable especially in sales

- extremely unorganized company - it's difficult to gage progression in the next 5 years with the number of frequent structural changes that happen

- if you prefer an entirely entrepreneurial environment, and aren't too phased by job security then you may be a great candidate here
Terrible
Production Associate (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON25 July 2018
Management in the production room is terrible. Shows favouritism with certain staff. Only cares about numbers and does nothing to help. They claim to have an “open door policy” but will use that against you in the end. Managers talk about other employees in front of their coworkers. They say they care about “high morale” and yet everyone is miserable. People quit or get fired often. Chooses not to fix the problems and just hire new staff. Would not recommend this place.
Pros
Paid birthday
Cons
Everything and management