TJX Canada Employee Reviews

Great associate relationships and fun environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON23 January 2019
Loved the other sales associates I worked with -- great floor environment. However, management was a different story. much improvement could be made (company wide -- but more specifically, in the store I worked at) with the management staff. Hours were unstable and sales associates were often asked to perform way over their job description (i.e., performing tasks meant for higher level and management positions) without any recognition or pay raises.
Pros
Fellow Associates
Cons
Unstable hours
you might enjoy it here if you're a robot
Associate (Former Employee) –  British Columbia29 December 2018
* A typical day at work includes being understaffed and overworked, then being asked to stay later or come in earlier. I even got called in on days where I was at my second job after I had repeatedly told them I could not work on those days.

* That leads me to management; there is no communication between the store managers so I would call in sick or alter my hours because of my second job and they would call wondering where I was and why i hadn't turned up. I had filled out paperwork stating these things and given acceptable notice and still kept getting called while at my other job.

* I worked 4 days a week for 7 months and as soon as Christmas was over they cut me down to 1 day a week! I wasn't the only one.

* work is monotonous and repetitive with no option to move forward into higher positions

* the most enjoyable part of the job is clocking out at the end of the shift.

* If I had advice to give other than don't even bother applying, it would be don't do favours for them unless it directly benefits you, don't stress about the work, they don't care how many favours you do for them. They won't remember. To them you are replaceable!

Maybe I have high expectations of an employer, maybe I've been lucky in my previous work. Who knows. I know I would steer very clear of this place.
Pros
I met some nice people.
Cons
no employee appreciation, no job security
Productive & great place to work
Data Entry Clerk (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON7 September 2018
Great place to work and learn, tons of opportunities to progress to the next level.
Management take cares of the employees really well.
Good benefits provided by the company. Stable job with room for growth for the right potential.
Safety Paramount
Pros
Good Work Life Balance
Productive and good environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON10 December 2018
Good company, fast pace company. I also built long-term customer relationships and advised customers onpurchases and promotions.
Answered customer questions and offered details about productsand services while efficiently processing orders and managingaccount details.
Served as liaison for customers, management and sales team.
Ensured superior customer experience by addressing customerconcerns, demonstrating empathy and resolving problem
Pros
Free lunches
fun workplace
Sales Associate (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Halifax, Nova Scotia24 October 2018
I worked at tjx Canada for more than a year and it was a really fun and positive environment that enabled me to grow mentally and as a person and it was a really valuable life experience.
Pros
life experience and decent salary
Cons
sometimes long shifts
Middle management heavy!! No appreciation for associates!!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  BC5 January 2019
1. Good hard working associates hardly ever noticed and associates that never work are never corrected
2. Low wages. Nobody gets the wage that reflects their years of work experience
3. Management do nothing except sit in the offfices and play on their phones. Never come when they are needed. Zero communication between managers.
4. Too many levels of management. And rather than promote within the store, management brings in coordinators and asm’s from outside.
5. Turn over is at least 50% and management does not care who comes or goes.
6. No concern about long term staff even when on sick leave.
7. Return policy is way to lenient as it allows for a lot of dishonest customers.
8. Associates always work short staffed and long hours and asked to stay later.
9. Mark downs are always back loaded instead of front loaded on the schedule. Then they panic.
10. Lack of loss prevention in the store does not seem to bother management to bring down shrink.
All in all this is the worlds worst place to work.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Too many to list
Stay Away
associate (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC21 October 2018
Just my opinion based on my experience from one store. If I knew what I know now, I would work someplace else.

* A typical day usually means the store is under staffed. And, don't be surprised if your shifts are cut short. Or, send home when you show up for your shift.

* I leant worksmart. The company has excellent training videos,work guidelines, and best practices for employees. Unfortunately, management at store level doesn't seem to believe in it.

* Management "?" Purposely alter policies to fit personal agendas. Favoritism, or worst, tribalism and alternative truth.

* Workplace culture "?" A place encourages you to report on your co-workers, friends and supervisors. I guess it could be an effective tool against internal thieves. Unfortunately, some people take it too far.

* The hardest part of the job is that you are NOT evaluated and compensated based on your job performance or demonstrated abilities.

* The most enjoyable part of the job is the moment you get to clock out.

Frankly speaking, stay away. That's probably the best decision you have made for your career.
Pros
a small employee discounts
Cons
too many to list
Loved the place
Business/Operations Analyst (Former Employee) –  Canada9 August 2018
Lots of learning opportunity. Management is very supportive. Good benefits. Open door culture. Great colleagues. a day at work is always fun and something you look forward to.
Great environment , with many different areas to work
General Labour Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON24 April 2018
A typical 8 hour day at TJX can involve working alone or in a partner dynamic.
Great physical exercise on the job.
Get to learn about different locations in Canada, as the items are being delivered to different cities and provinces.
Able to work with bilingual merchandize for our french speaking Canadians.
Great benefits, and union.
Would recommend to work at TJX.
Pros
Extra 15min break, alot of festive days for different cultures, company discount on merchandise, great work environment.
Cons
Little room for overtime, slow period stall work and production
Fun place to work
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 January 2019
TJX highly thinks of their employees. They conduct potlucks every now and then to maintain work culture. It takes any discrepancy or fights very seriously. The upper management is very good and provides their employees with everything they need. They do one-to-one sessions with people who want to grow in the company and train them for future. In order to train new managers for cases like firing or having difficult talks, they even have role-plays to make sure that the manager is comfortable about the whole situation.
Pros
10% discount
Cons
During difficult times, undeserving people get promoted.
Sortation
material handler (sortation) (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON28 August 2018
Love working here. Co workers are friendly and staff is friendly. This is a union job so that comes with better benefits. It is a great job for students.
will fire you over nothing.
Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC25 November 2018
they fired me over not being able to afford a doctors note for having a knee injury. they don't care about their staff and would rather have a person who doesn't do anything then one that does. head office doesn't do anything and unless you are full time staff you don't get more then four hours a day. store managers yelled at me in front of customers because i couldn't afford a 80 dollar doctors note.
Pros
some nice co-workers, customer interactions
Cons
management wont stand beside you and will fire you for little things.
Don't apply here, the store has an awful culture. Worst place I've ever worked!
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON16 January 2019
A typical day at work is coming in and unloading a truck and then taking the items to the floor and putting them away on shelves. You do not need any special skills to do this job. The management at our store is unorganized and unprofessional on a high level. They have no conflict resolution skills and will harass and bully you if they don't like you. They are unfriendly and unapproachable. When the senior managers come in they smile for the camera but don't even talk to their own staff. Sometimes the senior managers don't even talk to us. I once approached a manager to speak to her about a problem and she started talking to someone else. It was over five minutes before she acknowledged me , and when she did it was as though I was bothering her. I was trying to do my job. Don't work here...it is the most depressing place to be.
Pros
I think the company is good, but not this location
Cons
Poor management
Worst place to work!! Run!!!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL25 November 2018
Working at Winners in the Avalon Mall was truly the worst experience of my life!!! I am still in disbelief of the way things are run at that location! If you are not a suck up don't bother to apply! If you get sick and have to go off work for any amount of time they don't even call to see how you are doing! If you can't do anything for them they don't care about you anymore. So much for their core values which by the way are only on paper...they do not live by those values!!! The Joy Project is a joke ...the only ones to get their name put on that list is someone who puts water in the fridge for the staff. Thats the only "Joy" they experience!!! Most management and coordinators have very little respect for part time workers which is why the turn over is so high. The majority of staff leave shortly after orientation if they last that long all! My advise is to stay away! McDonalds is a better option!!!
Pros
Cons
very bad management
Back to Highschool
Planning Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON29 November 2018
Overall a terrible experience at TJX Canada. The company talks a real good game about being dynamic, exciting, progressive etc. In the interview process they hit all the marks.

In reality this company is full of it. The turnover is about 50% within the company as people eventually figure out how backward the company really is. You have systems dating back to the 80’s making work completely redundant and boring. Do you like trending ladder plans (Calculating performance with massive printed reports pencil, calculator and paper??? )

Most managers are unengaged and lack any experience. Very top down management mostly parachuted in from the US. Ever changing direction an fiddling with results. Nepotism, gossiping, favouritism are rampant. Zero bonus for non mgt employees

Stay the away from this place. You will regret spending any part of your careeer here
Pros
Company discount
Cons
Zero development opportunities
Great Co-workers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Moncton Area, NB20 November 2018
I got this job while I was in school and it was great because of the flexible hours. You get 45 min breaks which is also great. Most of the staff are very nice and hard workers.

On the other hand I worked there for a good while and I wasn't trained in anything but dressing rooms and cash. The pay is unliveable. They do not value seniority or hard work. One can fully expect that other newer associates will be trained in higher positions with higher pay.

If you get injured most likely you will lose your job or your job will be in question.

The management is questionable. Two of the managers are great. They are loving and actually care about you, but there is one manager that will yell at you for just doing your job depending on her mood.

Its a very stressful environment with no real chance in moving forward in anything.

Overall it wouldn't be a bad place to work if they fixed these things.
Pros
Nice Co-workers
Cons
Doesn't value employees
Amazing company culture
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON28 May 2018
The culture of TJX Canada has help grow the business. With their model they are able to be recession proof. Yearly they have increased sales and made many advancements within their associates.

I have learned a lot being in the distribution centers of a unionized environment while maintaining the culture. So a typical day would have it's obstacles but it would always challenge and help you move forward to do your best and know that you are with a strong company that contains growth.

Hardest part of the job can be the limitation of decisions an operations supervisor can make without getting approval from whole team. THere may be some times where one person can hinder potential opportunity in increasing efficiency. Which Management is always there to support.
The most enjoyable part of working at TJX is meeting great people in all walks of life. It has helped me develop more as a manager/supervisor.
Pros
Company culture
Cons
Afternoon Shift
Fun place to work at with a great culture
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 January 2019
Fun place to work at depending on location and management.
The 483 location has a great culture, fun, caring and respectful staff and management
there is always snacks to eat in the breakroom which is fully decked out with a TV, DVD player, refrigerator, microwave, toaster oven, kettles, plates, cups, utensils, you name it
Disaster of a place to work
Sales Associate/Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Stockyards9 December 2018
I work for just over a month in that time I has associates humiliate me in public, management not take it seriously. and then in the end lied to by management and told I will not be needed after one more week of work. to which I resigned before end of date. Everything I read about this company seemed amazing. I was very excited to start and be apart of a company that I thought held the same morals as I do. So when things started happening I was surprised and now extremely disappointed in how this company deals with conflict and how it treats its employees. If your a teenage with no understanding of your rights "to be treated with respect and dignity in the work place" then this is the job for you. Maybe that's why I don't see a lot of older people working at this company. If you stand up for yourself they will find a way to weed you out.
Pros
you get 4 hour shifts
Cons
a lot of the employees are rude and have no regard for basic treatment under the human rights code, Management is poor as they dont even care enough to ask employees if they're ok, Nor do they do necessary followup, And you get all this for minimum wage, and only 10% discount in store WOW not even the taxes.
Good for minimum wage
Merchandise Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON28 February 2018
Each store has it's pros and cons. Some managers are a delight to work with and others will make you hate the company. Some managers don't mind when you switch shifts and others will give you a hard time. You are not allowed to take a picture of the schedule because of a privacy policy. That being said sometimes the managers change the schedule without informing the associates so check the schedule every shift you work. The harder you work the more hours you'll get.
Benefits are for full time employees only. All associates receive a 10% discount card with every pay stub that expires every 4 weeks. They have weekends where you can get 20% which happens quarterly.
Of course with every job you have the people who love to gossip. This company gossips a lot about other stores, managers and associates within the district. Try not to get caught in the mix.
Everything you do is monitored. Everything!
My best advice is keep your head down and just do your job.
Pros
There are always fun activities that happen outside of work as well as inside to keep up the morale.
Cons
Simply put; fall in line or leave.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at TJX Canada. Our community is ready to answer.