TEKsystems

TEKsystems Employee Reviews for Software Engineer

I was working in TEKSystems’ professional service department.
People are assigned to different customers’ projects. The projects could be either “managed” or “none managed”. As an employee, I have no choice to work on which project. So some assignments are interesting and challenging, some others are boring. In between the assignments, there are bench times. For some people, the bench time is a chance to learn new technologies. But for many people, the bench time is boring. The professional service department has an architect team, they drive the technical direction on all the projects for customers. They are hired as “last say”. The architects show up as strong technical authorities internally. All the developers have to respect them. However, when they deal with customers, the architects’ ideas or proposals were failing to get contracts more than accepted by customers. So the developers’ bench time got longer and longer. Hope Teksystems professional service team will adjust the way of driving the architecture, so that more customers’ contracts can be located.

Teksystems’ management and IT team are doing excellent job. People will get their paycheck every weekend.
Good place to learn
Disclaimer: I work in the Montreal office.
The Montreal office is a development shop, as opposed to the rest of TEKsystems where the company is rather a recruitment firm.

Typical day at work:

One agile team per project (Project Manager, Business Analyst, Architect, Team Lead, Developers & QAs)

What to learn:

* The very knowledgeable lead architect is always striving to better ourselves by spending an hour per week on discussing many technical topics.

* Formations are given to learn about the different phases of an Agile project (inception, sizing, story writing, etc.)

Workplace culture:

People are helping each other out, as much as they can - which is awesome!

All in all, a very good company to work for (again, specific to the Montreal office), however....

The downside: the salary increase does not compete enough with what the market has to offer, and thus TEKsystems has a hard time keeping the good players in.
Pros
great learning experience
Cons
yearly salary increase are mediocres
Terrible place
I Joined Tek as part of their EA recruitment, they basically wasted my time.
Paying me was such a tough issue to solve, benefits were a joke compared to similar roles elsewhere

After my contract was ended it took me two days to find a better paying job without their help.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at TEKsystems?