Sysco Employee Review

Was good in the beginning...
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB22 February 2019
Worked there for 3 years on the sales desk. Things were okay in the beginning until some of the core staff starting moving on to different departments, instead of filling their spots with reliable skilled individuals they either increased the course load on the rest of us by A LOT - suddenly we were doing tasks outside our job descriptions and doing the work of multiple people... or they would begin to hire people that didn't fit the job but rather just the "image" they were trying to achieve as a company - clearly skill set started to not matter. In result this created a high turnover rate near the end of my time there.

The management started off being very hands on and always interacted with their staff in a friendly way - near the end of my time there it had completely changed to where managers were in their offices with the doors closed all day long no longer with smiles on their faces and cheery dispositions.. me and many other coworkers were convinced that this place was making us all miserable.

Do not work here if you cannot handle high stress volumes - working with the food industry is very demanding even from just a "call center desk" you're expected to go above and beyond for your customers but get little to no recognition for it. BUT make one simple mistake (which you have to expect with human error and working under pressure) and suddenly you get a "strike" ....well 3 strikes you're out. I've seen it happen to a couple people over my time there.

A distinct memory of mine that changed at how I looked at the company was when one of our full time employees
  more... passed away suddenly and the managers allowed none of us staff to attend the funeral.. Instead we were told by our sales director that we must "continue with business as usual" this is someone we saw 40+ hrs a week for a couple of years - this was more than a coworker to some of us and the message came clearly to some of us that we were just a number to them and can be replaced like that. I think that was my turning point with the company.

Don't apply for a sales desk position if you value your weekends. The shifts are almost always Sunday - Thursday. Sure you get the Friday off which is nice BUT - they make up for it by making you work every single holiday and long weekend. Long weekends will no longer exist for you working at the order desk. AND it's like pulling teeth to get requested time off. It's nearly impossible to work here as a student as there are no evening shifts the hours range from 8-430 9-530 10-630 and 1030-7.

Now it wasn't all bad - or else I wouldn't have stayed for as long as I did. You do build relationships with your coworkers and the customers you deal with on a daily basis, there are definitely aspects that I had found made all the stuff we dealt with "worth it".

But nonetheless it is not a healthy environment if all the staff have the attitude of "well this place is horrible but at least we have each other..." I was almost forced to go on stress leave at this job cause I couldn't take the treatment we'd get for doing the best we can with our resources but it still "not being enough" in their eyes. I began dropping weight like crazy, my hair was falling out. I would be physically ill from stress to the point that I was almost throwing up on a daily basis for months at a time..

And guess what... all of that changed when I finally got the courage to put in my 2 weeks and explore new job options. They offered me a raise the day I put in 2 weeks but turned it down cause even then it wasn't worth it at that point. Honestly I haven't looked back - the only thing I miss from that workplace was my coworkers. This may be not a bad place to work if you are planning to do it for a short period of time but I seriously don't know who could handle this high stress long term.
Pros
free food, social events, vacation time
Cons
hours, stressful, no holidays off

Other Sysco Employee Reviews

Productive and fun place to work and friendly everoment
Payroll Specialist (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON The head office at The East Mall16 July 2019
My typical day at work is when I get to work and we are all working as a team.

I learned a lot - The payroll system ie ADP how to run reports and interface it to manual life and run report for payroll to remit deductions to the government. In short I a lot there that I am today using plus all my other experience with other Payroll software.

Management - where great they give you the tools needed to get your job done on timely bases also, people persons.

Workplace culture was excellence everyone help each to grow.

The hardest part of the job for me is having - to leave at the end of my contract.

The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that we are human beings and we all worked very happy with each other.
Everyone there are out to screw you cause there union.
Truck driver (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB9 July 2019
The union protects the lazy man, the company bows to there needs, I never worked with a bunch of lazy people in all my life.0
Pros
Good employee food prices.
Cons
Management cant be trusted.(