Sysco Pay & Benefits reviews

Found 83 reviews matching the search See all 3,379 reviews
NOT Recomended
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 November 2019
No work life balance, unrealistic goals & targets. pay not good compare to industry average. poor management style , no room for advancement.

NEVER included with your job applications
Pros
Cons
long hours with out adequate pay
freezer outbound selector
Selector (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 November 2019
benefits are good, salary in the freezer is not enough the may need to step up there, management is not fair and overall not bad at all may be better a little bit compared other warehouses
fast paced work environment
File and admin (Former Employee) –  edmonton, AB21 October 2019
for my first job in the administration world I the experience i have gained at this job has bee fantastic. great benefits and food perks. location in not the greats and I drive for over an hour to get t work everyday.
Ok
Warehouse (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB17 October 2019
The job is fine. The pay is good. It is fast paced an stressful, lots of pressure. You don't really feel appreciated much, besides the good pay. Not a bad job.
People were good, management is all about the customers
Loader/Unloader (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL10 October 2019
I worked at Sysco for over 5 years and it was noth good and bad. It is physical and high demand to meet the needs of the customers serviced. This caused the employees to be treated as secondary to the customers.
Benefits
Good work place
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON28 September 2019
- hard work life balance
- difficult times
- heavy lifting
- working with team
- organized
- long work day
- good pay
- benefits provided and recognition
Great pay, long hours
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ON15 September 2019
Was a driver in Woodstock, a bunch of trailers were junk and management didn’t care at all, kept adding more paperwork and always asking for more out of the drivers
Pros
Pay
Cons
Long hours, salary
It's ok
Class 1 Driver (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC27 August 2019
It's an ok place to work.
Unfortunately, like a lot of big corporations, they care more about the bottom line than their employees.
Very long hours. .
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Long hours. Bad equipment.
Awesome
Class 1 Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS2 August 2019
Started my driving career there at Lakeside, amazing staff and helping and caring. Professional attitude of drivers and get to know with people while serving local business es and representing Sysco... Feels great
Pros
Good salary and benefits and environment
Cons
Injury ain't worth it
The big fish in the pond that doesn't want to feed but will eat the most unless you speak up.
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON21 June 2019
Employer that does not actually practice work/life balance even though they say they promote it, will try to maximize the work while providing the least amount of compensation and rewards. Recently underwent a restructuring. Do not actually address employee concerns and minimal organizational communication provided top-down.
Just A Number
Sales (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS2 June 2019
You are not a person. You are a position and a salary. They let people go with no notice only to replace you. Probably at a lower salary. Disregard for employees. Management looks out for management. HR is useless. Low moral. No appreciation.
Pros
Able to buy product for just above cost.
Cons
Management. HR. High turnover from them cutting salaries.
Bad place to work
MA (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 April 2019
Is a extremely large company, you are one more number, you are nothing, they only give opportunities for Canadian (white), you don't have future, only use all you life and they will be millionaire and you are nothing
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
98 % of all
Terrible, anxiety inducing experience
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON4 April 2019
You are required to work long hours, doing very hard labour which is fine because you are compensated for it. However, you're forced to wear a computer on your atm that measures your efficiency and if you're not maintaining 95% efficiency on a nightly basis, you're fired. Fear tactics are used to make you work longer hours when mandatory isnt called. The union is a joke, their purpose is to protect the employees but this is taken advantage of by lazy old timers so the company is constantly at odds. Lots of employees who pretend to be your friend then rat on you to get you fired. The moral is so low that as a new employee on probation people are constantly telling you "dont get injured, keep your head down, dont get sick, come when called in etc" or you'll get fired. You're forced to sign a contract stating they can fire you any time within 1040 hours of work without a reason which is a time span that can sometimes last 4 or 5 months. I personally was fired a day before becoming unionized at this mark without a reason - likely having to provide job security, a raise and benefits.

The night shift is truly poor
Pros
21 some odd dollars an hour
Cons
Forced contract 14 hour days, fear tactics, poorly unionized, no job security, people will attack your position for favor with higher ups
What I Learned!
Finance Clerk (Former Employee) –  Halifax Regional Municipality, NS2 April 2019
Employees are very hard working, long work days.Decent benefit package, but could do better. Always unexpected layoffs, heavy workloads, many deadlines to meet each week.
Was good in the beginning...
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB22 February 2019
Worked there for 3 years on the sales desk. Things were okay in the beginning until some of the core staff starting moving on to different departments, instead of filling their spots with reliable skilled individuals they either increased the course load on the rest of us by A LOT - suddenly we were doing tasks outside our job descriptions and doing the work of multiple people... or they would begin to hire people that didn't fit the job but rather just the "image" they were trying to achieve as a company - clearly skill set started to not matter. In result this created a high turnover rate near the end of my time there.

The management started off being very hands on and always interacted with their staff in a friendly way - near the end of my time there it had completely changed to where managers were in their offices with the doors closed all day long no longer with smiles on their faces and cheery dispositions.. me and many other coworkers were convinced that this place was making us all miserable.

Do not work here if you cannot handle high stress volumes - working with the food industry is very demanding even from just a "call center desk" you're expected to go above and beyond for your customers but get little to no recognition for it. BUT make one simple mistake (which you have to expect with human error and working under pressure) and suddenly you get a "strike" ....well 3 strikes you're out. I've seen it happen to a couple people over my time there.

A distinct memory of mine that changed at how I looked at the company was when one of our full time employees
  more... passed away suddenly and the managers allowed none of us staff to attend the funeral.. Instead we were told by our sales director that we must "continue with business as usual" this is someone we saw 40+ hrs a week for a couple of years - this was more than a coworker to some of us and the message came clearly to some of us that we were just a number to them and can be replaced like that. I think that was my turning point with the company.

Don't apply for a sales desk position if you value your weekends. The shifts are almost always Sunday - Thursday. Sure you get the Friday off which is nice BUT - they make up for it by making you work every single holiday and long weekend. Long weekends will no longer exist for you working at the order desk. AND it's like pulling teeth to get requested time off. It's nearly impossible to work here as a student as there are no evening shifts the hours range from 8-430 9-530 10-630 and 1030-7.

Now it wasn't all bad - or else I wouldn't have stayed for as long as I did. You do build relationships with your coworkers and the customers you deal with on a daily basis, there are definitely aspects that I had found made all the stuff we dealt with "worth it".

But nonetheless it is not a healthy environment if all the staff have the attitude of "well this place is horrible but at least we have each other..." I was almost forced to go on stress leave at this job cause I couldn't take the treatment we'd get for doing the best we can with our resources but it still "not being enough" in their eyes. I began dropping weight like crazy, my hair was falling out. I would be physically ill from stress to the point that I was almost throwing up on a daily basis for months at a time..

And guess what... all of that changed when I finally got the courage to put in my 2 weeks and explore new job options. They offered me a raise the day I put in 2 weeks but turned it down cause even then it wasn't worth it at that point. Honestly I haven't looked back - the only thing I miss from that workplace was my coworkers. This may be not a bad place to work if you are planning to do it for a short period of time but I seriously don't know who could handle this high stress long term.
Pros
free food, social events, vacation time
Cons
hours, stressful, no holidays off
Can make a lot of money at the risk of permanent disability
AZ Truck Driver/order picker/forklift operator (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON25 January 2019
I have done every job at Sysco outside any office position. You can make a good money here if you want to work 60 hours a week and do permanent damage you your body in the process. Very hard job physically and is definitely not for everyone or anyone who wants long time employment. Management does care about you or your safety, all they care about is if the customer gets their product, all else is trivial to them.
Pros
Can make good money, had decent benefits
Cons
Will destroy your body
Good Job!
AZ DRIVER (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON1 January 2019
Good place to work. Heavy lifting. Early mornings. Good benefits. Work independently. Home every night.
4 day work week. Unionized. Good equipment. Have all tools to do your job. They have a pension.
Fun fast passed work place
OrderDesk / Pricing Analyst (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON22 December 2018
It is unfortunate that his company downsized however in my 10 years of employment I learnt a lot about the day to day operations of an office. I met life long friends and had a secure paycheque and wonderful benefits and retirement savings plan.
Pros
decent pay stable job
Cons
job relocated
Sysco is alright for a little bit
Swamper (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB1 December 2018
The pay is decent for the work you do. It sucks putting up with the truckers. It starts to catch up to you, on your stress levels, and physical body. I’m glad I threw in the towel a second time, in under a year.
Pros
Pay, Good customers
Cons
Customers complaining, Stress, Putting up with truckers on a daily basis
Great Employee Perks
Human Resources Intern (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON21 November 2018
Excellent opportunities to purchase food
Learned a lot from great managers
Culture in the office was great
Management was friendly
Good employee compensation programs

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sysco. Our community is ready to answer.

41K