Sysco Employee Reviews for Delivery Driver

Found 17 reviews matching the search See all 2,948 reviews
Featured review
Sysco selected this as a representative review
A company where you are always learning
National Sales Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 March 2019
Sysco itself is one of the best companies i had worked for.

The people and the intensity of learning more is what makes the company great.

Since working here, i had learned to develop public relations with major markets that uses Sysco as their business partner.

you learn to utilize your time management
Pros
Free Samples of Food
Cons
Long Hours
Hard work, terrible management
Delivery Associate (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC8 March 2019
I was a delivery associate out of Victoria for 5 years. Had lots of great customers and the pay cheque never bounced.
That being said I had 7 supervisors in 5 years and only one of them is still with the company. The others either were let go by the company or else saw their demise in the future and left for the competition.
There was a recent cull of management and supervisors, as well as another this week.
Management will not listen to your complaints about the warehouse and their lacklustre effort, and will only demand more out of you so they don’t get their jobs axed.
I’d avoid this place like the plague it is.
Pros
Cheque never bounced
Cons
Management does not exist and you will be worked until you are crippled
Great Career
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC3 February 2019
Foodservice is a trade and it takes time to learn it. Pay is equivalent to many other trades and there is usually extra work if you are motivated.

The work is physical but not heavy. Some boxes weigh a pound, others weigh fifty. Most weigh about fifteen and can be handled one handed. With time, the hardest part of the day is waking up.

People either stick it out and stay around forever or they give up early. With earned experience, the job becomes quite easy. You get to know your customers quite well and are made to feel appreciated for your roll in keeping their business running.

Local management does a great job. Food distribution is an incredibly complicated business and every day is a minor miracle.

20 years delivering for Sysco is a fairly common milestone. People pay off their houses, send their kids to university and can retire with a healthy pension.

Driving the truck is the easy part. We haul small trailers with light loads relative to GVW, using full sized power units.

The tractors get new tires long before legally required - usually before each winter driving season. When something breaks, it gets fixed. Tractors are assigned and we drive the same unit most of the time.
Pros
Good pay and income stability
Cons
Early starts, long days, steep learning curve
No suger coating for these guys
Delivery Associate (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC13 December 2018
Indeed has given me the opportunity to write a review about Sysco

WARNING: You may want to get everything in writing, keep an eye on your pay, and don't give out your personal phone number unless if you are willing to have your days off and sleep interrupted.

My summary review:

The early morning start allows for driving with low traffic volumes and to complete deliveries before some of the restaurants open.

I learned company protocol and what is being asked sometimes contradict each other, and the schedule often changes with very little notice.

Sysco gave out my personal cell phone number without my permission and pestered me with questions on my days off.

Loading errors are somewhat regular and I suspect sometimes its intentional.

The Transportation Manager and 3 Nanaimo delivery associates resigned within my time there, along with other staff.

Meeting unreasonable deadlines is the hardest part of the job and resigning was the most enjoyable part of it.

There are no excuses for being late therefore I have a Simple Challenge to Sysco Nanaimo.

Depart the VIU lower loading dock at 6:39am and back into the VIU upper loading dock at 6:40am you must follow the rules of the road.

If you are successful I will buy you dinner, retract my review and give you a hug ;)
Pros
Willing to hire almost anyone
Cons
Extremly disrespectful
Rewarding
Delivery Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 November 2018
Disipline is key, start times are from 02:00 - 05:00, four day weeks, 14 hour days. Unloading 10,000 pounds to 20,000 punds of food by hand cart by yourself. If you enoy physical hard work, then this jon is for you.
Pros
work on your own
Cons
Very long days
Great Experience for New Drivers
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL11 October 2018
If you are a new driver Sysco is a great place to work, you really learn how to get around the city in a big truck. Great co-workers. The hardest part of the job was the physical demands on your body, but if you can stick with it it will get you into fantastic shape.
No word
Az delivery driver (Former Employee) –  Toronto3 October 2018
Very disappointed with this Company. I had only 40 hrs left from my probation period and they dismissed me. They have just used me for 5 months and as soon as the business started getting slow they started getting rid of new people who are not unionized. Be careful guys before you start working with them this place is full of politics and back stabbing. Very hard work and you get all garbage deliveries for couple of years. It is based on seniority and they have many old people who been working from last 10 years or so. All downtown calls are downstairs or upstairs which drained out all the energy. I would recommend that get incorporated and work for your own business. I only like about this job is my co- workers.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
No job security
Newer Equipment, Poor management
Delivery Associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC20 August 2018
12 years at Sysco and they promote from within who they want to promote. The people in charge of the transportation department are not qualified to do the job. They were selected by a higher up that liked them. Guys are promoted more on the buddy buddy system vs actual qualifications. Huge lack of communication between departments. Drivers are always the last to know what is going on, trucks are loaded poorly. You will touch the same box 8 times before you deliver it. The pay is good but you are underpaid for the actual work you do. There are better jobs out there that pay less and have a better work life balance and are easier on the body
Pros
free turkey at xmas
Cons
body is sore after day 1 until you leave
Great company to work for.
Delivery Associate (Current Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BC16 June 2018
Great job if you want to keep in shape without going to the gym. (known as "industrial athletes")
Job requires that you have excellent class 1 driving skills and efficient customer service.
Excellent pay scale as well as comprehensive benefits.
Pros
Great exercise and lots of OT pay
Cons
Stressful job with long hours
swamper
Delivery Associate (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC27 March 2018
it was quite an experience to work with, learned how handheld scanners worked and to keep working hard till the duty was done, I liked the heavy lifting of the work any labourer work I enjoy doing.
not at all good place to work
Driver/Delivery (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 February 2018
worst company ever treats drivers like garbage pretends to be nice first but then keeps ripping u off on pay days .... they are always charging u 100$ for temprature gauge even when they are returned when they only sell them for 30$ most of us drivers here are looking for something else stay away from this place
High workloads, stressful days
Delivery Driver and Line Hauler (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS26 October 2017
At Sysco, you will never be looking for work. Management does not work to keep staff, and a high turnover means the drivers we have are overburdened. The equipment is barely maintained, the warehouse staff are overworked and underpaid, which makes your truck a mess when loaded. Your hours are long, overtime every single day. Very odd hours, you will get up before your spouse, and be home tired and in bed before suppertime. Not a family job.
Pros
High pay, lots of overtime, home daily
Cons
Long hours, intense labour, muscle injuries likely.
Best paying meat grinder job ever
Delivery driver (Former Employee) –  Ontario16 February 2017
I was lucky to have a great supervisor and some good fellow drivers but the company was a total meat grinder to work for. Despite being unionized the company is expert at using people seasonally with promise of long term employment and will discard you at the six month probation or the minute you get hurt on the job which is guaranteed with the demands placed on drivers. Start times vary between 2am and 6am and you never know when you will finish any given shift. Expect to deliver up to 1000-1100 pieces on a busy shift by hand and by yourself using a dolly off the back ramp. Some pieces can weigh up to 60lbs each and are shaped very awkward to deliver quickly. Delivery locations often have stairs and are difficult to deliver to with very tight delivery times especially restaurants. Trucks are often loaded very poorly making it difficult keep on schedule because you spend too much time digging and searching for product not loaded on the right skids but its always the drivers fault creating a blame game between driver and warehouse pickers. Falling behind is a nightmare because customers delivery times are so tight that you have zero room for externals you can't control like weather break downs ect. Once you fall behind expect to be harassed on your phone by dispatch, customer service, one or two sales reps, sales rep boss and one or two supervisors! Being new you will be spare board and always running random delivery runs making it difficult to get quick and efficient enough to be kept on permanently. If you can handle stress are super fit, don't smoke,can drive  more... fast enough to not shift your load you might pass probation. If you do you will have one of the best paying delivery jobs in the industry if you can handle the pressure.  less
Pros
Pay and benefits, weekends off, lots of overtime
Cons
Long hours, inconsistent start times, unrealistic expectations
Time of my life
Delivery Associate/AZ Driver (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 January 2017
Go to the race track, fiddle with race cars and hang out with similarly minded people all day. Sign me up. Time of my life was here.
Good Company
AZ Driver - B-Trains / Delivery Associate / (Former Employee) –  Ottawa West, ON1 March 2016
Good company.
no coworkers. work alone
driving positions
productive and fun workplace
delivery driver (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB1 November 2015
Fun workplace with supportive management,most enjoyable part of the job was working alongside my colleagues and learning from them.
It was a lot of variety in what i did each day.
It was a good job acutally not that bad
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB23 February 2015
a typical day at work was when our supervisor almost died he got crushed between tow trailers he forgot to pull the spring brakes on one of the truck when he was moving pallets from a trailer to another then he ended up in the hospital with broken desk and both legs after one of the workers was at the site that time he heard him screaming with loud voice then he knew he was hurt.
Good Job
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC4 February 2014
Lots of hours. sometimes over worked. People who loaded trucks did not do their jobs correcty resulting in damaged product being delivered to customers.
Pros
lots of hours
Cons
hard on the body, constant rushing