Sysco Employee Reviews in Winnipeg, MB

Found 22 reviews matching the search See all 3,016 reviews
Featured review
Sysco selected this as a representative review
A company where you are always learning
National Sales Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 March 2019
Sysco itself is one of the best companies i had worked for.

The people and the intensity of learning more is what makes the company great.

Since working here, i had learned to develop public relations with major markets that uses Sysco as their business partner.

you learn to utilize your time management
Pros
Free Samples of Food
Cons
Long Hours
Was good in the beginning...
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB22 February 2019
Worked there for 3 years on the sales desk. Things were okay in the beginning until some of the core staff starting moving on to different departments, instead of filling their spots with reliable skilled individuals they either increased the course load on the rest of us by A LOT - suddenly we were doing tasks outside our job descriptions and doing the work of multiple people... or they would begin to hire people that didn't fit the job but rather just the "image" they were trying to achieve as a company - clearly skill set started to not matter. In result this created a high turnover rate near the end of my time there.

The management started off being very hands on and always interacted with their staff in a friendly way - near the end of my time there it had completely changed to where managers were in their offices with the doors closed all day long no longer with smiles on their faces and cheery dispositions.. me and many other coworkers were convinced that this place was making us all miserable.

Do not work here if you cannot handle high stress volumes - working with the food industry is very demanding even from just a "call center desk" you're expected to go above and beyond for your customers but get little to no recognition for it. BUT make one simple mistake (which you have to expect with human error and working under pressure) and suddenly you get a "strike" ....well 3 strikes you're out. I've seen it happen to a couple people over my time there.

A distinct memory of mine that changed at how I looked at the company was when one of our full time employees
  more... passed away suddenly and the managers allowed none of us staff to attend the funeral.. Instead we were told by our sales director that we must "continue with business as usual" this is someone we saw 40+ hrs a week for a couple of years - this was more than a coworker to some of us and the message came clearly to some of us that we were just a number to them and can be replaced like that. I think that was my turning point with the company.

Don't apply for a sales desk position if you value your weekends. The shifts are almost always Sunday - Thursday. Sure you get the Friday off which is nice BUT - they make up for it by making you work every single holiday and long weekend. Long weekends will no longer exist for you working at the order desk. AND it's like pulling teeth to get requested time off. It's nearly impossible to work here as a student as there are no evening shifts the hours range from 8-430 9-530 10-630 and 1030-7.

Now it wasn't all bad - or else I wouldn't have stayed for as long as I did. You do build relationships with your coworkers and the customers you deal with on a daily basis, there are definitely aspects that I had found made all the stuff we dealt with "worth it".

But nonetheless it is not a healthy environment if all the staff have the attitude of "well this place is horrible but at least we have each other..." I was almost forced to go on stress leave at this job cause I couldn't take the treatment we'd get for doing the best we can with our resources but it still "not being enough" in their eyes. I began dropping weight like crazy, my hair was falling out. I would be physically ill from stress to the point that I was almost throwing up on a daily basis for months at a time..

And guess what... all of that changed when I finally got the courage to put in my 2 weeks and explore new job options. They offered me a raise the day I put in 2 weeks but turned it down cause even then it wasn't worth it at that point. Honestly I haven't looked back - the only thing I miss from that workplace was my coworkers. This may be not a bad place to work if you are planning to do it for a short period of time but I seriously don't know who could handle this high stress long term.
Pros
free food, social events, vacation time
Cons
hours, stressful, no holidays off
Good company to work for
FINANCE (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB18 November 2018
Good company to work for. Work life balance is good. Management is reasonable. Job security is good. Regional office is small, so may not have a lot of room to move around.
Not very good company
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB17 November 2018
overworked underpaid and underlooked trailers are dirty just not a fun place various racism problems aswell especially in warehouse I only recommend if you’re in need of a job
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Long hour
good workplace good people and can leaqrn lost of skills.
Swamper (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB28 August 2018
was an early shift mostly 3am start times. meet lots of great people
repetitive workout throughout the day. the hardest part of the job I would say is the really long days like 16 17+ hours and only getting a few hours of sleep for the next day. The most enjoyable part is just doing the job great people lots of exercise. plus I got to known the city really well.
Pros
free food from restraunts.
Cons
really long hours.
Nice Pay,Shame about the company
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB9 August 2018
The pay is great but what you have to go through isn't worth it. A lot of kissing up to upper management,back stabbing,bullying and unrealistic work expectations make this a toxic enviroment. Avoid at all cost
Pros
Decent wage per hr
Cons
Great people makes it feel like home
Customer Service Representative (Team Lead) (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB8 July 2018
Very understanding Manager/Supervisor. A great group of people to work with. Feels like family. Our coworkers keep us coming back. Love the job :) SYSCO FOODS :)
Pros
free food at times :)
Cons
can be busy at times
Challenging
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  1570 clarence avenue winnipeg mb.25 March 2018
Being an order selector from sysco is very challenging, this job is to build your physical abilities and carries various tasks. Its fun working here, and the job helps you to get fit.
Pros
Sometimes free lunches, and have discount in their products.
Cons
10 hours per day
Rush all the time
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB13 March 2018
Pay scale is not bad, but not worth it when compared to the work they expect from you as a order selector. Just think of being at a war everyday go go go like a machine for numbers they want from you. They keep u part-time for about 3-4 years to get the best use of you moving hours and workdays here and there according to how much work they have and then consider you full time if u can last. Good luck man.
Pros
pay scale
Cons
hard, night job
Garage place to work
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB15 February 2018
This place sucks the big one. They treat you like a machine because that’s what they want. They may pay well but good luck having a healthy body after working there. I’m telling all of you, if you can work elsewhere than do so, it’s not worth the pay.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Everything else
A productive and fun place to work
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB22 March 2017
Nice and friendly work environment, chances to grow in the company, chances to work overtime and save money for investments or travelling. Also improves your work skills.
Pros
Free lunches and lots of overtime
Cons
Heavy standards
productive and descpline workplace
Delivery Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB27 January 2017
it's really fun place to work, staff is really helpful and bondable. averaging good hours on daily work week. it feels safe to work with this company.
great pay
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB9 January 2017
not bad, management is great. Learned to work with rf scanners, training is great. Co-workers were good to work with. hardest part was being away most of the time from family during the days.
Worst place to work for
Order Picker/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB28 October 2016
Supervisors were slack at there jobs didn't give care about u hire ex employee to train new one when he couldn't do the job saying it's easy when he would work on his breaks to get his numbers
Pros
Nothing really
Cons
Working nights
A productive environment
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB14 August 2016
Working here can be fun, everyone is supportive of each other.

Expectations for performance is high and environment supports success.

Great and friendly managers.
poor management
Broker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB7 April 2016
dont work for sysco winnipeg, management will never listen to your problem and will always say do more do more, even if that means driving trailer with air leak, or full loaded to back of trailer and you have to unload and deliver that trailer by standing at 3 inch wide lip. and do not be a broker there, that ll be your life's biggest mistake, including myself 5 brokers are gone.
Pros
Cons
long list
its alright ,we have a gym inside the company
Order Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB18 March 2016
typical day at work just continues order pick ups ,i learned to be totally organized, mangement wise is pretty fair, my co-workers are awesome, difficult part of the job is when we get difficult orders with lots of quantity like about 50 or more of the same product with the weight of 50pnds and you have to do it in like 2-5 mins.the most enjoyable is when work is done.
Pros
good environment
Cons
heavy job
Great place
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 January 2016
Everyone is friendly and management is great. Can buy product at reduced prices. More training should be provided. It is a very busy place with dealing with customer across Canada.
Pros
free fruit
Cons
shift work
fun workplace all the employees are good
Order Selector/forklift operator (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB22 January 2016
we always thinking about our grades i learned to communicate to the other people all my co workers are friendly the hardest part of my job is to have a not enough guys for that day the most enjoyable part of my job is pay day
Pros
free lunches
Cons
You want to work like a dog?
order selector (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, manitoba15 June 2015
This company dosent care about you. They make up guidelines like saying you have to get 100% every week just to keep your job. To get 100% you have to hold in number 1 and number 2 also skip breaks if your lucky you will get 100 %. If for example you get 98 % then you will get a letter. I can bet that none of management could even come close to getting 100%. They are all talk no show. Also the company likes to hire new immigrants to use them as slaves because they know they will not get far within the company and as soon as your close to your probation ending they will fire you. Its not worth it most american companies don't care at all. So its up to you if you like to be the pawn lol. Also lots of favouritism if they dont like you they will give you orders so high in volume that its truly impossible to 100 % unless you want to be a old depressed handicapped old man.
Pros
free food
Cons
gives you free food to make you work harder
Very positive environment with opportunities for advancement.
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 July 2013
I enjoyed my time at Sysco Winnipeg very much. Everyone was very encouraging and positive.