Sysco Employee Reviews

Found 260 reviews matching the search See all 2,977 reviews
Featured review
Sysco selected this as a representative review
A company where you are always learning
National Sales Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 March 2019
Sysco itself is one of the best companies i had worked for.

The people and the intensity of learning more is what makes the company great.

Since working here, i had learned to develop public relations with major markets that uses Sysco as their business partner.

you learn to utilize your time management
Pros
Free Samples of Food
Cons
Long Hours
Excellent Training for new hires.
National Pricing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS6 May 2019
Great for training and learning new tasks.
Co-workers are amazing and easy to get along with.
Vacation package is great.
Lots of data entry.
Workplace culture is great.
good place to work
TRANSPORTATION & MAINTANCE SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL26 April 2019
Enjoyed working with this company over the years. Learned alot and the workplace culture as great. I enjoyed most was interacting with the customers on a daily basics
Bad place to work
MA (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 April 2019
Is a extremely large company, you are one more number, you are nothing, they only give opportunities for Canadian (white), you don't have future, only use all you life and they will be millionaire and you are nothing
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
98 % of all
Good training and opportunities
Procurement Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 April 2019
A good multinational company that focuses on efficiency and customer focus. Learning and developmental opportunities exist even with the evolution and structure of the company.
High pressure but great company
Marketing Associate (Current Employee) –  Jackson, WI8 April 2019
High pressure to sell, goals keep getting pushed higher and higher but is motivating for you to be your best self. Work/life balance is hard, not a 9-5 position.
Terrible, anxiety inducing experience
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON4 April 2019
You are required to work long hours, doing very hard labour which is fine because you are compensated for it. However, you're forced to wear a computer on your atm that measures your efficiency and if you're not maintaining 95% efficiency on a nightly basis, you're fired. Fear tactics are used to make you work longer hours when mandatory isnt called. The union is a joke, their purpose is to protect the employees but this is taken advantage of by lazy old timers so the company is constantly at odds. Lots of employees who pretend to be your friend then rat on you to get you fired. The moral is so low that as a new employee on probation people are constantly telling you "dont get injured, keep your head down, dont get sick, come when called in etc" or you'll get fired. You're forced to sign a contract stating they can fire you any time within 1040 hours of work without a reason which is a time span that can sometimes last 4 or 5 months. I personally was fired a day before becoming unionized at this mark without a reason - likely having to provide job security, a raise and benefits.

The night shift is truly poor
Pros
21 some odd dollars an hour
Cons
Forced contract 14 hour days, fear tactics, poorly unionized, no job security, people will attack your position for favor with higher ups
What I Learned!
Finance Clerk (Former Employee) –  Halifax Regional Municipality, NS2 April 2019
Employees are very hard working, long work days.Decent benefit package, but could do better. Always unexpected layoffs, heavy workloads, many deadlines to meet each week.
Great job if you are confident in your own time management skills. Not impressed by upper management though.
Sales Associate - Outside Sales (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 March 2019
I like many aspects of this job, although I feel upper management and the corporate culture behind them is way behind the times and very unmotivating.
Happy environment always staying on task.
Swamper/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC8 March 2019
We knew what we were doing each day, no one had to tell us. We were always on time and made customers happy.
Great work out for the day and full energy burning fun.
Pros
Learning everything
Cons
Slippery surfaces especially the ramp.
Hard work, terrible management
Delivery Associate (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC8 March 2019
I was a delivery associate out of Victoria for 5 years. Had lots of great customers and the pay cheque never bounced.
That being said I had 7 supervisors in 5 years and only one of them is still with the company. The others either were let go by the company or else saw their demise in the future and left for the competition.
There was a recent cull of management and supervisors, as well as another this week.
Management will not listen to your complaints about the warehouse and their lacklustre effort, and will only demand more out of you so they don’t get their jobs axed.
I’d avoid this place like the plague it is.
Pros
Cheque never bounced
Cons
Management does not exist and you will be worked until you are crippled
Pénible
Préparateur de commandes (Picker) (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC27 February 2019
Horaires difficiles, temps supplémentaire obligatoire. Bonne paye. Employés sympatique.
Pros
Salaire, uniformes de travail, job assurée.
Cons
Beaucoup de temps supplémentaire obligatoire, direction confuse et changeante. Peu de stationnement, beaucoup de blessures. Aucune vie de famille.
Was good in the beginning...
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB22 February 2019
Worked there for 3 years on the sales desk. Things were okay in the beginning until some of the core staff starting moving on to different departments, instead of filling their spots with reliable skilled individuals they either increased the course load on the rest of us by A LOT - suddenly we were doing tasks outside our job descriptions and doing the work of multiple people... or they would begin to hire people that didn't fit the job but rather just the "image" they were trying to achieve as a company - clearly skill set started to not matter. In result this created a high turnover rate near the end of my time there.

The management started off being very hands on and always interacted with their staff in a friendly way - near the end of my time there it had completely changed to where managers were in their offices with the doors closed all day long no longer with smiles on their faces and cheery dispositions.. me and many other coworkers were convinced that this place was making us all miserable.

Do not work here if you cannot handle high stress volumes - working with the food industry is very demanding even from just a "call center desk" you're expected to go above and beyond for your customers but get little to no recognition for it. BUT make one simple mistake (which you have to expect with human error and working under pressure) and suddenly you get a "strike" ....well 3 strikes you're out. I've seen it happen to a couple people over my time there.

A distinct memory of mine that changed at how I looked at the company was when one of our full time employees
  more... passed away suddenly and the managers allowed none of us staff to attend the funeral.. Instead we were told by our sales director that we must "continue with business as usual" this is someone we saw 40+ hrs a week for a couple of years - this was more than a coworker to some of us and the message came clearly to some of us that we were just a number to them and can be replaced like that. I think that was my turning point with the company.

Don't apply for a sales desk position if you value your weekends. The shifts are almost always Sunday - Thursday. Sure you get the Friday off which is nice BUT - they make up for it by making you work every single holiday and long weekend. Long weekends will no longer exist for you working at the order desk. AND it's like pulling teeth to get requested time off. It's nearly impossible to work here as a student as there are no evening shifts the hours range from 8-430 9-530 10-630 and 1030-7.

Now it wasn't all bad - or else I wouldn't have stayed for as long as I did. You do build relationships with your coworkers and the customers you deal with on a daily basis, there are definitely aspects that I had found made all the stuff we dealt with "worth it".

But nonetheless it is not a healthy environment if all the staff have the attitude of "well this place is horrible but at least we have each other..." I was almost forced to go on stress leave at this job cause I couldn't take the treatment we'd get for doing the best we can with our resources but it still "not being enough" in their eyes. I began dropping weight like crazy, my hair was falling out. I would be physically ill from stress to the point that I was almost throwing up on a daily basis for months at a time..

And guess what... all of that changed when I finally got the courage to put in my 2 weeks and explore new job options. They offered me a raise the day I put in 2 weeks but turned it down cause even then it wasn't worth it at that point. Honestly I haven't looked back - the only thing I miss from that workplace was my coworkers. This may be not a bad place to work if you are planning to do it for a short period of time but I seriously don't know who could handle this high stress long term.
Pros
free food, social events, vacation time
Cons
hours, stressful, no holidays off
Good Workplace
Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON11 February 2019
Friendly and open people to work with
receive free food from vendors
environment always changing
proactive learning environment
customer focused setting
Great Career
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC3 February 2019
Foodservice is a trade and it takes time to learn it. Pay is equivalent to many other trades and there is usually extra work if you are motivated.

The work is physical but not heavy. Some boxes weigh a pound, others weigh fifty. Most weigh about fifteen and can be handled one handed. With time, the hardest part of the day is waking up.

People either stick it out and stay around forever or they give up early. With earned experience, the job becomes quite easy. You get to know your customers quite well and are made to feel appreciated for your roll in keeping their business running.

Local management does a great job. Food distribution is an incredibly complicated business and every day is a minor miracle.

20 years delivering for Sysco is a fairly common milestone. People pay off their houses, send their kids to university and can retire with a healthy pension.

Driving the truck is the easy part. We haul small trailers with light loads relative to GVW, using full sized power units.

The tractors get new tires long before legally required - usually before each winter driving season. When something breaks, it gets fixed. Tractors are assigned and we drive the same unit most of the time.
Pros
Good pay and income stability
Cons
Early starts, long days, steep learning curve
Can make a lot of money at the risk of permanent disability
AZ Truck Driver/order picker/forklift operator (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON25 January 2019
I have done every job at Sysco outside any office position. You can make a good money here if you want to work 60 hours a week and do permanent damage you your body in the process. Very hard job physically and is definitely not for everyone or anyone who wants long time employment. Management does care about you or your safety, all they care about is if the customer gets their product, all else is trivial to them.
Pros
Can make good money, had decent benefits
Cons
Will destroy your body
If you like your life at all, dont work here
Order Selector (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ON21 January 2019
employees are required to work mandatory overtime where they have no idea when their shift may end. (14 hour work days, 5 days a week during summer time) while working these hours if employees use any sick days and/or do not maintain a 95% rate of efficiency you are fired.
Good Job!
AZ DRIVER (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON1 January 2019
Good place to work. Heavy lifting. Early mornings. Good benefits. Work independently. Home every night.
4 day work week. Unionized. Good equipment. Have all tools to do your job. They have a pension.
Fun fast passed work place
OrderDesk / Pricing Analyst (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON22 December 2018
It is unfortunate that his company downsized however in my 10 years of employment I learnt a lot about the day to day operations of an office. I met life long friends and had a secure paycheque and wonderful benefits and retirement savings plan.
Pros
decent pay stable job
Cons
job relocated
owner operator
Class 1 Owner/Operator (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC20 December 2018
Hand deliver between 14,000 to 25,000 pounds of products daily, using a hand cart to deliver to individual restaurants and anywhere else where Canadians can get a meal away from home. Early 2am starts averaging around 14 hours a day, hauling up to 53 foot trailers with in the Okanogan.
productive
Chef d'équipe (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC18 December 2018
First, we need to follow the instruction of the quality control before entering in the warehouse and all employers need to proceed correctly without risk of contaminate the production room.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sysco. Our community is ready to answer.