Sysco
Sysco Employee Review

They pay good, that's it

18 July 2019
In all honesty this branch of Sysco has been heading downhill for years, and isn't getting better anytime soon. They're bonus program can only be a achieved by working unsafe and putting your body and others at risk of injury. Coming in the door at this branch you'll be lucky to get 30 hours a week because they over staff to prevent anyone from getting full time. They've lost so much business they're one big customer away from closing the branch it seems like. Orders are maxed to the roof of trucks most nights to save money so they don't have to hire drivers, times are absolutely ridiculous to complete the orders. Working nights is already bad enough, but it's made even worse there. Supporting roles and supervisors do what they can but are so over worked I'm amazed they haven't quit themselves. When someone from management finally makes an appearance on nights for the most part you can see in their faces how little they care or want to be there. Honestly there's better jobs out there, pass on this place.
1.0Job security/advancement
Pros
Hourly rate but scarce hours
Cons
Honestly everything else
13 May 2021
Same role
Order Picker (Current Employee) - Acheson, AB
Sysco is an amazing company to work for, and I recommend it to everyone.The work-life balance is perfect for full-timers as you only work 4 10 hour shifts, which leaves you with 3 days off per week. It is also great for part-timers as they will work around your schedule and are very flexible. There is a good amount of vacation days, sick days, and family days you can take your first few years, and the amount you get increases the longer you work there.The pay is very good for a warehouse position - possibly one of the best in the industry - and there is plenty of optional overtime each week.The management is great, and full of wonderful people with friendly personalities. They will take the time to get to know every employee by name and interests.Although everyone works independently, most people are friendly with eachother and are willing to help out. There is a lot of diversity here in terms of culture. However, there are very few female associates.The hardest part of the job is of course hitting the daily quotas. However, it is definitely very doable. You are given a long probation period before you are required to hit the quotas, so really it is not an issue.The most enjoyable part of the job for me is not having to deal with customers or micromanagers. It is very independent, which is great for introverts.
Pros
4 day work week, benefits, very flexible for part-timers, incentive pay, union
Cons
Mostly male associates
6 May 2021
Same role
Forklift Operator/Order Picker (Former Employee) - Halifax, NS
Working in the warehouse was horrible it’s suppose to be unionized but people favour others and the team moral is horrible. Supervisors go out of their way to try and find ways so the can write you up. They only hire part time but say they have lots of hours available which is true but when you get close to getting full time hours they will make sure you only get your 20 hours a week so it’s Impossible to get the benefits of being a full time employee. They will preach that everything is done by seniority but in reality that is not the case behind the scene. I can’t really speak for any other Sysco location except for the one in Lakeside on duck Pond Road. I was an employee there for 2 years but quit because of the way they treat people. If this doesn’t help you go get the job and just ask people that work there night or day shift and they will tell you the same thing. Good luck!
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Environment
Official response from Sysco
11 May 2021
Thank you for the feedback regarding what it’s like to work at Sysco. We realize that while we work hard to provide a positive and inclusive work environment, it may not be the right fit for everyone. We wish you the best in all your future endeavors.
21 February 2020
Same location
Class 1 Tractor Trailer Operator (Former Employee) - Lakeside, NS
Only good part was the pay was decent but that's just because of the high turnover rate. Managers are horrible. I've never had such bad leaders in my life. I would get thrown from nights to days in an effort to fix other staff issues. Half the people dont speak English at all so theres no room for communication and everyone constantly is all for themselves and never helps anyone no matter how horrible things get. Their drivers dont even know procedures. Dont even get me started on rules and policies are not good either. If you want to be video taped constantly and have people chew you out and not be able to defend yourself this is the place for you !!!
  1. They pay good, that's it