Sysco Employee Reviews

Found 249 reviews matching the search See all 2,831 reviews
Great Career
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC3 February 2019
Foodservice is a trade and it takes time to learn it. Pay is equivalent to many other trades and there is usually extra work if you are motivated.

The work is physical but not heavy. Some boxes weigh a pound, others weigh fifty. Most weigh about fifteen and can be handled one handed. With time, the hardest part of the day is waking up.

People either stick it out and stay around forever or they give up early. With earned experience, the job becomes quite easy. You get to know your customers quite well and are made to feel appreciated for your roll in keeping their business running.

Local management does a great job. Food distribution is an incredibly complicated business and every day is a minor miracle.

20 years delivering for Sysco is a fairly common milestone. People pay off their houses, send their kids to university and can retire with a healthy pension.

Driving the truck is the easy part. We haul small trailers with light loads relative to GVW, using full sized power units.

The tractors get new tires long before legally required - usually before each winter driving season. When something breaks, it gets fixed. Tractors are assigned and we drive the same unit most of the time.
Pros
Good pay and income stability
Cons
Early starts, long days, steep learning curve
Can make a lot of money at the risk of permanent disability
AZ Truck Driver/order picker/forklift operator (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON25 January 2019
I have done every job at Sysco outside any office position. You can make a good money here if you want to work 60 hours a week and do permanent damage you your body in the process. Very hard job physically and is definitely not for everyone or anyone who wants long time employment. Management does care about you or your safety, all they care about is if the customer gets their product, all else is trivial to them.
Pros
Can make good money, had decent benefits
Cons
Will destroy your body
If you like your life at all, dont work here
Order Selector (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ON21 January 2019
employees are required to work mandatory overtime where they have no idea when their shift may end. (14 hour work days, 5 days a week during summer time) while working these hours if employees use any sick days and/or do not maintain a 95% rate of efficiency you are fired.
Good Job!
AZ DRIVER (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON1 January 2019
Good place to work. Heavy lifting. Early mornings. Good benefits. Work independently. Home every night.
4 day work week. Unionized. Good equipment. Have all tools to do your job. They have a pension.
Fun fast passed work place
OrderDesk / Pricing Analyst (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON22 December 2018
It is unfortunate that his company downsized however in my 10 years of employment I learnt a lot about the day to day operations of an office. I met life long friends and had a secure paycheque and wonderful benefits and retirement savings plan.
Pros
decent pay stable job
Cons
job relocated
owner operator
Class 1 Owner/Operator (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC20 December 2018
Hand deliver between 14,000 to 25,000 pounds of products daily, using a hand cart to deliver to individual restaurants and anywhere else where Canadians can get a meal away from home. Early 2am starts averaging around 14 hours a day, hauling up to 53 foot trailers with in the Okanogan.
productive
Chef d'équipe (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC18 December 2018
First, we need to follow the instruction of the quality control before entering in the warehouse and all employers need to proceed correctly without risk of contaminate the production room.
No suger coating for these guys
Delivery Associate (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC13 December 2018
Indeed has given me the opportunity to write a review about Sysco

WARNING: You may want to get everything in writing, keep an eye on your pay, and don't give out your personal phone number unless if you are willing to have your days off and sleep interrupted.

My summary review:

The early morning start allows for driving with low traffic volumes and to complete deliveries before some of the restaurants open.

I learned company protocol and what is being asked sometimes contradict each other, and the schedule often changes with very little notice.

Sysco gave out my personal cell phone number without my permission and pestered me with questions on my days off.

Loading errors are somewhat regular and I suspect sometimes its intentional.

The Transportation Manager and 3 Nanaimo delivery associates resigned within my time there, along with other staff.

Meeting unreasonable deadlines is the hardest part of the job and resigning was the most enjoyable part of it.

There are no excuses for being late therefore I have a Simple Challenge to Sysco Nanaimo.

Depart the VIU lower loading dock at 6:39am and back into the VIU upper loading dock at 6:40am you must follow the rules of the road.

If you are successful I will buy you dinner, retract my review and give you a hug ;)
Pros
Willing to hire almost anyone
Cons
Extremly disrespectful
New beginining
Credit Coordinator/Finance (Former Employee) –  Acheson, AB6 December 2018
Was a great company to work for things changed with budgets and the economy Got told they were letting go upper management and we had nothing to worry about our jobs were secured. Come into work with HR at my desk my manager didn't even know they were letting me go as in laid off. I asked to go to my desk to collect my personal belongings was told no and I wasn't allowed to say good bye to anyone. I would not recommend Sysco.
Pros
Cheap food
Cons
Worked overtime didnt get paid for it
Sysco is alright for a little bit
Swamper (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB1 December 2018
The pay is decent for the work you do. It sucks putting up with the truckers. It starts to catch up to you, on your stress levels, and physical body. I’m glad I threw in the towel a second time, in under a year.
Pros
Pay, Good customers
Cons
Customers complaining, Stress, Putting up with truckers on a daily basis
Très bonne rémunération
Camionneur-livreur (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC29 November 2018
Un travail physique exigent mais une rémunération o"K
Great Employee Perks
Human Resources Intern (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON21 November 2018
Excellent opportunities to purchase food
Learned a lot from great managers
Culture in the office was great
Management was friendly
Good employee compensation programs
Great sales learning experience
Senior Marketing Associate (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB19 November 2018
You work to your customer's schedules, that involves weekends and holidays, early mornings, and sometimes late nights.
Chefs can be moody, you need to find the relationship that binds you to acquire the business.
Pros
Home office
Cons
Good company to work for
FINANCE (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB18 November 2018
Good company to work for. Work life balance is good. Management is reasonable. Job security is good. Regional office is small, so may not have a lot of room to move around.
Not very good company
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB17 November 2018
overworked underpaid and underlooked trailers are dirty just not a fun place various racism problems aswell especially in warehouse I only recommend if you’re in need of a job
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Long hour
Good place to start if you need driving experience
Class 1 Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Lakeside, NS13 November 2018
Very hard work, lots of lifting, early morning start, high stress. Equipment breakdowns frequent, management not easy to work with, hard to get time off.
Rewarding
Delivery Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 November 2018
Disipline is key, start times are from 02:00 - 05:00, four day weeks, 14 hour days. Unloading 10,000 pounds to 20,000 punds of food by hand cart by yourself. If you enoy physical hard work, then this jon is for you.
Pros
work on your own
Cons
Very long days
Rewarding if you are always doing well
Delivery Manager (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC9 November 2018
Overall a good company, leadership can change quickly and can be inconsistent from one to another.

There are some awesome locations with great culture and then there are other locations where the culture is very bad.
Pros
associate level people are fantastic
Cons
Leadership level is okay with losing good loyal people to make an extra $
It's fun to work at Sysco. Very friendly staff and management
Fork lift operator (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON1 November 2018
Since day one I love to work at Sysco. It's a strong well known company in Canada and USA. Customer service is no one priority here. Very friendly and save work environment. Good wages and benefits. Flexible shifts available based on seniority.
Pros
Company payed family day, Bbq, Christmas party and random lunch/dinner
Cons
40 hrs/ week + overtime occasionally
corporate focused business
Business Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 October 2018
This is a corporate based business meaning they are looking out for the bottom line and share holders first. Good growth opportunities with average salary's. Training is good.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sysco. Our community is ready to answer.