Syncrude Employee Review

power engineer worked solely on fluid cokers and looking to expand knowledge in the field
Process Operator (Current Employee) –  fort mcmurray21 August 2013
over the past 4 years I have worked on 3 different fluid cokers within my current company. We work rotating 12 hour shifts on a 3 days and 3 night with 6 off schedule.

a typical day within my experience involves standard mechanical and safety rounds multiple times per day if not outside all day. I have taken care of fluid coker unit processes, such as heavy ends processing, sour gas processing, working with large compressors, air blowers, turbine and electric pumps, fractionators, boilers, exchangers, steam production, reactor and burner management, isolations, shutdowns, start ups and overseeing that all work is completed from paperwork down to cleanup of the posts.

i have learned to work quickly and efficiently while keeping all process circuits, troubleshooting techniques and hands-on job completion in a high tempo environment working mainly outdoors for 12 hour shifts all year long.

i find the hardest part of my job is continuously doing the same tasks repeatedly and I am looking to expand my experiences and knowledge within the field so as to keep me in an upward learning curve within the field.

the most enjoyable part of my job is working outdoors and not sitting at a desk all day.
Pros
high rate of pay and good benefits enabling me to provide for my aging parents
Cons
working in the same area all the time can get monotonous

Other Syncrude Employee Reviews

Great Company to work with
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB26 March 2018
Syncrude is a great company to work with.

The benefit a good, life/work balance is reasonable and retirement plan is one of the best.

Calgary office and Site culture and atmosphere is different though
Negative environment and unhealthy behavior
Scaffolder (Former Employee) –  Base plant11 March 2018
People who are working directly for syncrude does not treat well contractors. Funny part is washrooms in some buildings are strictly for syncrude employees (not sure which era these guys are living) cause excuse that outsiders are stealing their stuff from their locker rooms. Really??? Biggest lie. If they found that you are contractor very few of them will be pleased to talk with you nicely. Some leaders in plant area have mentality of owning syncrude which is not good. They will talk with you very rudely and if you try to respond they will show their power of being syncrude employees. Worst place to work at as a contractor. Thank fully got better job outside of site and do not need to think about this worst place.
Pros
Can not find it
Cons
Very rude people with boss mentality