Syncrude Employee Reviews

Negative environment and unhealthy behavior
Scaffolder (Former Employee) –  Base plant11 March 2018
People who are working directly for syncrude does not treat well contractors. Funny part is washrooms in some buildings are strictly for syncrude employees (not sure which era these guys are living) cause excuse that outsiders are stealing their stuff from their locker rooms. Really??? Biggest lie. If they found that you are contractor very few of them will be pleased to talk with you nicely. Some leaders in plant area have mentality of owning syncrude which is not good. They will talk with you very rudely and if you try to respond they will show their power of being syncrude employees. Worst place to work at as a contractor. Thank fully got better job outside of site and do not need to think about this worst place.
Pros
Can not find it
Cons
Very rude people with boss mentality
Not for new immigrants
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Fort mcmurray10 March 2018
I worked there for couple of years in the maintenance department. Micro managed and frontline management is racist from new foundland. Worst place among oil sands team players.
Pros
Close to town
Cons
Thin pipes cause explosions
Once was a good company
B Pressure Welder/Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB7 March 2018
Recent economy downturn and company ownership changes have destroyed what was once a GREAT company. I enjoyed the best of times from 1983 to 2002, then things went downhill fast. I went back as a contractor and saw many unhappy people there but the company butt kissers all did okay. I am glad I got out when I did. .
Pros
Challenging, diverse work, good benefits
Cons
Nepotism, buddy and neighbor favoritism, (geographic)
productive and fun
Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB19 January 2018
An amazing and progressive experience. Great
people and environment. also hardworking- No hard
parts be
cause I loved e
very minute and
built relationships
safe place to work
MILLWRIGHT, INTERPRO TECHNICAL SERVICES (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB10 January 2018
will happily work there again. knowledge base of plant operators and contacts made working there very easy. camps provided were clean and food was good.
A lot of silly rules
Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Mildred Lake, AB27 September 2017
Must be willing to look down on others once you receive your orange helmet. NEVER give respect to contractors!(as a orange helmet your just naturally better) disown friends you may have had that are still contractors, and brag about the money you make!
Still there unfortunately but trying to get out !! People aren't likely to hire you once they know you work here they assume you have the same poor attitude.
Pros
Money
Cons
The rest
Used and learned new skills
Power Engineer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB15 June 2017
Great company to work for. Ability to use my existing skills in Power Engineering . Great team work and ability new learn new skills. Enjoyed new challenges daily
construction worl
Electrician and Instrumentation Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB1 June 2017
electrical equipment and panel installation, terminating and commissioning, maintainence, instrument calibration, operating equipment, pre-commissioning and start-up.
Productive and fun
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB3 March 2017
What I learned mostly Canadian culture, team working, trust each other, keep the confidential, being well organized, making freindship
Pros
Shuttle
the crew is good
Class 1 Driver (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB17 February 2017
the crew at syncrude are very good too work with good formen the jobs are good and the orther operators are good and working on syncrude .driving roll off and lugger trucks
not happy
Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB23 January 2017
they don't believe in family values and there is a lot behind the scenes the public doesn't see and they don't help when tyou ask fort it
Place ok to work
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB29 October 2016
Hours doesn't work for me and long ride on site. It's a very good job for stabilization and benefits. Different shift and hours available. Training available
A great work envioment,safety
"B" Pressure Welder (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB18 March 2016
long hours of work,also free time to use rec.facility .able to use welding skills of different welding process ,call for more information.
Pros
good food
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB6 February 2016
Gave me lots of great experience!! Would of definitely gone back if it wasn't so far from town. Lack of childcare for my toddler.
Team work to accomplish organisation objictives
Office assistant (Former Employee) –  Namdeb30 December 2015
I Work on various tasks and projects, anything from preparing meeting, assisting with . Constant communication flow, meetings, organizing events, calendar management, routing phone calls contacting team members for deliverable , running reports
Pros
team work and healthy enveironment
Cons
unpropriate working enviroment
Company never did me wrong
Planner / Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB10 December 2015
Enjoyed my time with them and would return if there was a position. All courses I had requested were paid for by Syncrude. They certainly look within at their own people when looking to fill positions.
Pros
Career progression
Cons
Bus ride to site working M-F
Syncrude
Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB12 August 2015
Got to meet a lot of people that have been working there for their entire workers.
I enjoyed working for them
They dedicate a lot of time and effort in the community and charities
Family oriented company
Average at best
Post 8 Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB7 July 2015
Work was easy, people were friendly, you could pretty much do your own thing, some managers were on a power trip.
biggest issue, they hired kids out of school that didn't have a clue about working in the real world, and the woman that got hired, 90% were useless.
Pros
never a hard day
Cons
50% of co workers had no work ethic.
Employment Layoff - end of project
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB30 June 2015
I didn't work at this position long enough to fully review company, I am sure it is a great company to be employed at, but unfortunately my project was not one of long term.
Wish I didnt leave.
Tailings Operations Heavy Equipment operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB29 April 2015
One of the best companies that I have worked for. Team mates are more like family. I was treated very good here. Highly recommended employer.
Pros
6&6 shift
Cons
No camp option