Symposium Cafe Restaurant & Lounge

Symposium Cafe Restaurant & Lounge Employee Reviews

Way too many rules and expensive uniform
Server (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON10 April 2018
Be prepared to work lots of split shifts and pay 200 bucks for a uniform. Its okay if you've never served before but if you're an experienced server the tips are kind of mediocre. Not piercing or tattoo friendly, and a bunch of other rules (ie if you're a male server you must be clean shaven or take time off to grow a beard). When you first start look forward to a huge booklet of homework and no tables of your own for 2 weeks. Also if you double punch 2 separate orders you will lose your tables to another server. If you don't follow steps of service or miss one during a surprise evaluation they can terminate you on the spot. Lots of turnover.
Pros
Great for those without serving experience.
Cons
Overpriced uniform, homework, mediocre tips, split shifts, some weird rules
Great Place To Work!!
Server (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON22 March 2018
My experience with this company...

Shifts are very flexible, management is very understanding and accommodating at this location. Staff are very friendly and work together as a team. The work environment is positive and professional with lots of opportunities to learn and grow. Symposium steps of service set you up for higher check averages which in turn allows you to earn a bigger tip.

Overall a very positive experience working for this company.
I would recommend
Server (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON22 March 2018
I have worked at symposium for over a year now and I would definitely recommend working here. The smaller scale restaurant is nice and cozy and staff and other employees are friendly and always accommodating!
Pros
Friendly Staff
Cons
Schedule comes out week of
Productive and fun workplace
Server/Desserts & Barista (Former Employee) –  Bolton, ON26 February 2018
I made specialty coffee ex, latte, cappuccino, espresso.
I worked on desserts preparing cakes, brownies, cookies, fruit.
helped with expo and serving tables
Barista and Server (Current Employee) –  Toronto25 February 2018
Symposium has an amazing atmosphere and the management is great. Everyone here is very professional and makes working here a great pleasure. Great hours, pay is always on time. The other employees are great and amazing to be around. Good team spirit. If you want to work at a great establishment and have a great working experience this is the place to be!
Pros
No cons
Definitely not the most stable work environment
Server (Former Employee) –  Stouffville, ON29 January 2018
Mind you, I came in the middle of a few transitions. During my one year stay at Symposium, management had switched twice. Head office took over and things were TENSE.

Generally, most of the head office staff consisted of unpleasant people. They also had unreasonable demands of their staff, often making us stay way past our scheduled shift time to clean WITHOUT PAY.

I hope it's gotten better now that new management has taken over the franchise, but this place left a sour taste in my mouth.
Best place to work,,
Cook (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON18 January 2018
It was a good place to work, .paid on time,..plus tip out,, helpful co-worker and nice owner, number one. pay is good and on time, your food is free, and learn a lot.
Pros
Good pay
So far so good!
Barista (Current Employee) –  North York, ON3 January 2018
I've been working at the Symposium for three months as a barista/desert artist and it has been great. Everyone is kind and encouraging and helpful during a rush.
Pros
Tip Out Bonus
Cons
access to too many desserts
Uplifting, Organized, Fast-Paced Working Environment
Server/Hostess (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON29 December 2017
As a server/hostess at the Symposium Café I had many different opportunities within the work day. I learned new skills, I gained knowledge on many things that will further help me in the work field.
Pros
Management, Food, People, Atmosphere
I enjoy working in Symposium
Manager (Current Employee) –  Oakridge, ON13 December 2017
- Good opportunity to growth
- Good wages
- Good environment
- Good business to learn everyday something new
- Flexible hours
- Easy to run any shift any position if you follow the system and policy
- Businesses on Growth
- No surprise
- Moving on by market demand
Pros
Somthing new and positive different in resturant industry
Cons
All is good no missing from my point of view
Love working for this company. Very unique concept and pleasant atmosphere. Theres also so many choices of foods to choose from.
Secretary/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 December 2017
Awesome! Very unique concept. Artwork / decor is always a conversation starter. Friendly atmosphere and great food/food choices. Wage is good. I recommend Symposium Cafe to all my friends and family. Everyone whos tried it loves it, especially my best friend. She loves the food! :)
Pros
Rewarding, variety of food, wage is good
Cons
None in particular that I can think of
Scheduling is a suggestion here.
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON11 December 2017
Kitchen was good enough. Excelled when cooking fresh dishes. Well trained individuals worked well as a team. Was always asked to stay beyond schedule, come in on days off. Booking days off in advance didn't matter, you were still scheduled and expected to find someone else to cover. Schedule was often posted the day before the previous schedule ran out, or changed midway through the week.
Pros
Great free food
Cons
Long hours, Chaotic Scheduling
fast paced but good
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON21 September 2017
i started on the busiest weekend ever but it ended up being pretty good. the people there were really nice and helpful and always there for you if you needed it.
Pros
very chill mornings usually
Cons
busy nights for cocktails
Productive and fast paced restaurant.
Server/Waitress (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON18 September 2017
Serving daily including washing dishes and hostessing and running food. Taught me greatly in serving exceptional service for my tables, however with all tasks considered the job was definitely challenging.
fun environment
Server and Bartender (Former Employee) –  Oak Ridges, ON17 September 2017
the team works effectively together to ensure the customers best experience. It taught me a lot about the restaurant industry to enhance my career. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing me employees get along and all have the same target at the end of the day; customer satisfaction.
Pros
employee discount and good food
Cons
we get really busy
Decent start up
Dishwasher/Food Prep (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON11 September 2017
I enjoyed going to work I have learned that not everything is as what it seems. management was nice but the owner had his own ways he would treated everyone different oh well not my business.
Fun place to work
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bolton, ON17 July 2017
Difficult if one has not been a waiter before. The menu is long but I believe they have shortened the menu, it was a good place to work but if watering is not ones cu of tea then it will for sure be difficult
Server/Bartender (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON14 July 2017
Great place to work! Lots of muiltitasking required and great customer service skills. Must memorize extensive introduction and many daily features. Overall enjoyable
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Inconsistency of business
Fun place to work just not busy enough
Server (Current Employee) –  Stouffville, ON6 June 2017
The environment of the restaurant is very nice and the staff as well, the location just isn't great therefore resulting in the restaurant not being busy enough. Especially for someone looking to make enough money to support themselves, I don't recommend
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Not busy enough
Terrible Experience
Server (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON5 June 2017
Missing wages, harassing owner this says a minimum of 150 words but I dont feel I need to say much more then to advise you to avoid this workplace it is not worth the risk
Cons
Improper Pay, Improper treatment of staff

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Symposium Cafe Restaurant & Lounge. Our community is ready to answer.