Symposium Cafe Restaurant & Lounge Employee Reviews

Stoney creek Management is brutal
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ON14 July 2018
Management at Stoney creek location is extremely narcissistic and controlling.
Schedule comes out LATE, work hours are extreme due to understaffing, and illegal paycheque deductions.
Multiple broken appliances that owner refuses to fix, including vantilation system and fridges.
Pros
Cons
It’s like being in an abusive relationship
Productive and fun place to work at
Regional Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON4 July 2018
Productive and fun place to work at, management are involved with the staff with strict workplace culture. the hardest part of the job is to be consistent with the customer service.
No appreciation
Server (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON18 June 2018
This establishment has good working people, unfortunately management is nowhere near where they should be. There is no appreciation for the work done by servers. Management expects servers to give and give with no incentives. Pay is usually inaccurate and there is no open door policy as concerns go unanswered or ignored. This place has increased anxiety levels significantly.
Shady management & nasty practices
Front of House Staff (Former Employee) –  Georgina, ON4 June 2018
Not worth it if you are trying to make decent money consistently.
What you are scheduled is not what you work and more often than not tips won’t even cover gas for the week.
Because of company culture many senior staff and management have uppity attitudes and are unwillingly to provide feedback or tips to do better even when repeated asked.
Hours worked and pay received often don’t match and one must check the schedule and pick up cheques on days off Definitely eye opening to see that servers acts as dishwashers and the kitchens with cramped and breeding grounds for cross contamination.
Ultimately not worth the effort and definitely needs an inspection from BBB and MInistry of Labour.
Pros
Cash tips (which is illegal at the moment)
Cons
Incorrect payment practices, aggressive and negligent management
Fishy practices and terrible training
Server (Former Employee) –  Keswick, ON29 May 2018
prepare for no breaks, going home earlier or later then you are scheduled for, and paying for mistakes that were not your fault. Training was horrible.
Great learning experience
Barista/Server (Former Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ON8 May 2018
The job is busy and teaches you a lot about serving and bartending in a smaller resturant.

It is a steady pace, which can be easy to keep up with, although it can feel understaffed at times.

Management can be a little demanding and can sometimes not try to provide individual management needs.
Pros
Discounted lunch, hours, tips
Cons
Management techniques, long (alone) hours
Way too many rules and expensive uniform
Server (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON10 April 2018
Be prepared to work lots of split shifts and pay 200 bucks for a uniform. Its okay if you've never served before but if you're an experienced server the tips are kind of mediocre. Not piercing or tattoo friendly, and a bunch of other rules (ie if you're a male server you must be clean shaven or take time off to grow a beard). When you first start look forward to a huge booklet of homework and no tables of your own for 2 weeks. Also if you double punch 2 separate orders you will lose your tables to another server. If you don't follow steps of service or miss one during a surprise evaluation they can terminate you on the spot. Lots of turnover.
Pros
Great for those without serving experience.
Cons
Overpriced uniform, homework, mediocre tips, split shifts, some weird rules
Great Place To Work!!
Server (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON22 March 2018
My experience with this company...

Shifts are very flexible, management is very understanding and accommodating at this location. Staff are very friendly and work together as a team. The work environment is positive and professional with lots of opportunities to learn and grow. Symposium steps of service set you up for higher check averages which in turn allows you to earn a bigger tip.

Overall a very positive experience working for this company.
I would recommend
Server (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON22 March 2018
I have worked at symposium for over a year now and I would definitely recommend working here. The smaller scale restaurant is nice and cozy and staff and other employees are friendly and always accommodating!
Pros
Friendly Staff
Cons
Schedule comes out week of
Productive and fun workplace
Server/Desserts & Barista (Former Employee) –  Bolton, ON26 February 2018
I made specialty coffee ex, latte, cappuccino, espresso.
I worked on desserts preparing cakes, brownies, cookies, fruit.
helped with expo and serving tables
Barista and Server (Current Employee) –  Toronto25 February 2018
Symposium has an amazing atmosphere and the management is great. Everyone here is very professional and makes working here a great pleasure. Great hours, pay is always on time. The other employees are great and amazing to be around. Good team spirit. If you want to work at a great establishment and have a great working experience this is the place to be!
Pros
No cons
Definitely not the most stable work environment
Server (Former Employee) –  Stouffville, ON29 January 2018
Mind you, I came in the middle of a few transitions. During my one year stay at Symposium, management had switched twice. Head office took over and things were TENSE.

Generally, most of the head office staff consisted of unpleasant people. They also had unreasonable demands of their staff, often making us stay way past our scheduled shift time to clean WITHOUT PAY.

I hope it's gotten better now that new management has taken over the franchise, but this place left a sour taste in my mouth.
Best place to work,,
Cook (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON18 January 2018
It was a good place to work, .paid on time,..plus tip out,, helpful co-worker and nice owner, number one. pay is good and on time, your food is free, and learn a lot.
Pros
Good pay
So far so good!
Barista (Current Employee) –  North York, ON3 January 2018
I've been working at the Symposium for three months as a barista/desert artist and it has been great. Everyone is kind and encouraging and helpful during a rush.
Pros
Tip Out Bonus
Cons
access to too many desserts
Uplifting, Organized, Fast-Paced Working Environment
Server/Hostess (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON29 December 2017
As a server/hostess at the Symposium Café I had many different opportunities within the work day. I learned new skills, I gained knowledge on many things that will further help me in the work field.
Pros
Management, Food, People, Atmosphere
not the greatest
Server (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON24 December 2017
worked with some great people and some not so great ones too. keep track of hours or you will be stolen from. owner is nice to your face but not so much when your not around
Pros
great coworkers
Cons
disorganized
I enjoy working in Symposium
Manager (Current Employee) –  Oakridge, ON13 December 2017
- Good opportunity to growth
- Good wages
- Good environment
- Good business to learn everyday something new
- Flexible hours
- Easy to run any shift any position if you follow the system and policy
- Businesses on Growth
- No surprise
- Moving on by market demand
Pros
Somthing new and positive different in resturant industry
Cons
All is good no missing from my point of view
Love working for this company. Very unique concept and pleasant atmosphere. Theres also so many choices of foods to choose from.
Secretary/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 December 2017
Awesome! Very unique concept. Artwork / decor is always a conversation starter. Friendly atmosphere and great food/food choices. Wage is good. I recommend Symposium Cafe to all my friends and family. Everyone whos tried it loves it, especially my best friend. She loves the food! :)
Pros
Rewarding, variety of food, wage is good
Cons
None in particular that I can think of
Scheduling is a suggestion here.
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON11 December 2017
Kitchen was good enough. Excelled when cooking fresh dishes. Well trained individuals worked well as a team. Was always asked to stay beyond schedule, come in on days off. Booking days off in advance didn't matter, you were still scheduled and expected to find someone else to cover. Schedule was often posted the day before the previous schedule ran out, or changed midway through the week.
Pros
Great free food
Cons
Long hours, Chaotic Scheduling
fast paced but good
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON21 September 2017
i started on the busiest weekend ever but it ended up being pretty good. the people there were really nice and helpful and always there for you if you needed it.
Pros
very chill mornings usually
Cons
busy nights for cocktails

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Symposium Cafe Restaurant & Lounge. Our community is ready to answer.