Sylvan Learning Center Employee Reviews for Tutor

Effective educational system
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 August 2017
Students benefited noticeably. Reading and mathematics showed improvement of 1 to 2 grade levels within six weeks. The salary was not enough for someone of my educational level and skills. Overall a positive work environment.
Great for just teaching
TEACHER/TUTOR (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 July 2017
It is a great environment to get back to the teaching part of Education. Just working with the kids and helping each of them succeed without any planning or headaches of administrative work.
Pros
Nothing brought home
Cons
Only Part time
Excellent place to work part-time
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 July 2017
Not a lot of room for advancement and not many hours in the summers. Works for some students but not all. The program is proven to work, preferable to the Kumon approach.
Pros
flexible
Cons
no advancement opportunities, lack of hours
A fun environment, tutoring students aged 5 to 19, in every subject imaginable!
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB5 July 2017
Sylvan Learning Center follows a strict teaching guideline that must be followed throughout all the Sylvan Centers across Canada to allow for continuity for its students. While at first I was not used to teaching under such strict guidelines, I found ways to 'make it my own'. A big positive were the small class sizes- usually just 3 students at one time; although each of the 3 could be different ages, attend different schools and need help with different subjects! It was an intense, personal, fulfilling environment. I loved seeing the progress students made during my time at this position.
Pros
Small class sizes
Cons
Not able to work full time at any Sylvan Center unless you are NOT a teacher! (Ex: custodians, receptionists, etc WERE able to have full time work)
Awesome place to work
Academic Tutor (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, AB1 February 2017
One of my favorite jobs. I worked here while still in high school and was able to balance a work schedule while studying for diploma examinations.
Supportive management and enjoyable workplace
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Thornhill, ON9 January 2017
Teaching academic reading, writing, math and French lessons for a wide range of students grade JK to 12, with work customized to student’s individual learning needs. Management was very accommodating to schedule changes and teaching resources were well provided.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Not enough hours and far commute
Work is rewarding. Pay is not.
Tutor/Instructor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 September 2016
Being a tutor at Sylvan must be viewed as what it is; a low paying hobby job. Since the turnover at these centers is very high/fast, most instructors do not even really consider the degree to which they are being taken advantage of financially, before they leave for greener pastures. For example, students pay $50/ hour and an instructor who tutors on average of 3 students per hour makes $10-$15/hour; a tenth of the incoming revenue. For whatever reason, judging from the majority of the reviews here, most Sylvan instructors think this is perfectly OK. This may be attributable to the fact that most Sylvan employees are housewives, retirees and/or students and are therefore able and willing to overlook the fact that the only person benefitting financially from the arrangement is the franchise owner. And in the context of a fun, hobby job it is rewarding to work with small numbers of students. These students do sometimes benefit from the very expensive attention given to them since the role of the instructor is to be a supportive, nurturing presence.

For most people Sylvan does not represent a career path but a filler or temporary job that can give a person extremely valuable insight into the necessity of labor unions and fair employment laws which Sylvan is barely within the parameters of, at times; and definitely clearly exploiting highly educated people and their credentials for personal gain. Make no mistake about that, if you choose to donate your time & talents to this organization.
Pros
A sense of personal satisfaction from connecting with students
Cons
Low pay, no benefits, sporadic shifts often cancelled at the last minute, being exploited by a corporate entity, questionable testing and performance assessments
Great experience and led to further opportunities.
Education Tutor (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB1 May 2016
The work is quite varied and interesting. I learned to be efficient with time maximizing learning for each student. Management was not consistent and it changed a lot. Co-workers worked well together. The hardest part of the job was that the salary was very low for qualified teachers. The most enjoyable part of the job was the relationship with the students and the success they achieved.
Great environment for students to learn and grow
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Courtice, ONT12 June 2014
Sylvan learning Center provides the necessary tools and environment for aiding students from K-12. The amazing staff accommodate all students without hesitation and are always willing and ready. Management is handled most appropriately and efficiently. The job as a whole is quite enjoyable; being able to assist students and seeing them do well is the reward in itself!
Good staffing, great management.
Tutor/Teacher (Former Employee) –  Brantford, On22 October 2012
The centre in Brantford was well managed, and the staff at the time were well-trained and skilled in working with young people -- I learned a lot about teaching from them. It was a good job, and things ran pretty smoothly most shifts, even when students didn't show (which was not often). They allowed me to be flexible in how I presented the material, as I worked often with advanced students. It was a good experience for me.
Pros
short shifts, working with youth, sense of accomplishment
Cons
short shifts, evenings only, unrealistic salary
Great place to teach and learn at the same time.
Senior Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC10 July 2012
Working a sylvan learning centre provided me with the opportunity of working with more than ten employees at the same time. As an instructor I had to meet my desired target and that not only included good grades for students but also make learning fun so we have more happy customers at the end of the day. I also helped with local advertising and new student recruitment.
Pros
friendly atmosphere.