Sylvan Learning Center

Sylvan Learning Center Pay & benefits reviews: Center Director

Clear
3.0Pay & benefits

Great learning experience

I’ve worked off and on at SYLVAN for over 6 years and worked from teacher assistant all the way to center director. Benefits: you are off most Fridays and two weekends a month, great training, you never have the same day twice, and you can really get to know families well in a way you can’t within the school systems. It’s a great place for advancement.Cons: I make 34,000 a year and almost no commission on bringing new families in. As a working mother, it is extremely hard to work until 7:30 at night and be home in time to put them to bed. We are short staffed ALL the time so on top of all my administrative roles, I tutor all the time.

Pros

Good hours, great for advancement, great for someone looking to get out of the classroom; great ratios

Cons

Pay, late work hours, short staffed

Did not value employees

This was an interesting place to work. I did not accrue vacation or sick days for an ungodly amount of time, there was a huge lack of support from above, and I (and everyone else) was treated like a replaceable body in the chair. The people who work here bust their butts for this business and rarely receive a “thank you” let alone a raise. The teachers who work here have not received a raise in over 5 years. The owners (both old and new) do not know how to run their system or exactly how the center operates day to day so they rely on the directors to do everything but pay them atrociously for the amount of work they do. This was an eye opening experience for me and what NOT to do when running a business. The second star is for the fantastic people that still work for these Sylvan centers.

Pros

Great coworkers

Cons

Pay, undervalued, COVID response, high expectations, lack of support, no benefits.

Horrible Place to work

Unpaid and overworked for the most part. I really liked the children and customers. The company as a whole is about money and doesn't really care about the customers

Pros

convenient location

Management Inconsistency

Working with children and most parents were wonderful however, management cared more about revenue then employees. Schedule often changed without notice and no benefits. Expected to work overtime without pay and only 5days vacation pay a year and 2 sick days per year. When taken a sick day, you were given a hard time. And when I left the organization, never received payment for the 4 vacation days earned. earned..

Best Employment Experience I’ve ever had

Working at Sylvan has been wonderful! I’ve felt welcome from the first phone interview. Directors are given the tools and freedom to succeed and are praised and compensated for success. The executive director is always available for help and to assist running the business. The owner and executive director often see the potential in employees and provide opportunities to see it realized. Watching students grow and achieve their goals make the long hours and workload worthwhile.

Don’t work in management in an Sylvan in Utah

Terrible hours, over worked for low pay. You get Paid Time Off but good luck actually being able to use it. Sooo stressful and all about sales. If you actually care about children and education you won’t be valued and your talents won’t be utilized.

A bad franchise to work for

If you ever want to know about a franchise to NOT work for, it's Sylvan. The profit margin is so low that they cannot afford to pay to keep good people. Pay for tutors is insultingly low. And they treat their people like peons.

Flexible hours

If you enjoy working with kids in a relaxed atmosphere then Sylvan Learning Center is the place for you. As a manager there is very little micromanaging from owners and you have the freedom to run your center as you please as long as you are getting your job done and making a profit. The downside of this job is that you are paid hourly, with no benefits and no retirement fund. The hours can be long and you must work evenings since that is when the center is open for instruction.

Pros

Flexible hours and friendly staff

Cons

Not salaried, no benefits

An okay job; no benefits; heavy sales push

There was a heavy sales push but the non-standard hours were nice. there weren't benefits so that made it difficult. I learned that management only really cared about how many loans were being pushed through. the culture was a little hostile if you did not hit your sales goal. The regular staff was very nice to work with

Work First

Sylvan is a great place to work if you do not have a family oriented life. The job is one of the most rewarding experiences you will ever have however the benefits are not great and there is no work/life balance.

Acct executive- challenging but fun job

Loved this job, but business transferred out of state. I did not want to transfer so I did not move with the company.

Pros

Great training, great management, great benefits, great pay and great everything

Cons

cmpany transferred to texas

Never a dull moment at Sylvan

Sylvan is an incredible place to work. As a Center Director, I can say that I wear many hats throughout the day; I act as the General Business Manager, Director of Admissions, Financial Consultant, Accountant, Teacher, Mentor and Staffing Agent. I have been graced with the ability to work with hundreds of students from all walks of life achieve their academic potential. My training, as well as Sylvan’s expectations, have been great and incredibly diverse. This has made me an expert in the field of education as well as business as I confidently run a thriving center while delivering services that have won the praise of my clients and the acclaim of many local organizations.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sylvan Learning Center. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1Job security/advancement