Sylvan Learning Center

Sylvan Learning Center Employee Reviews

Canada43 reviews
Experience gained is worth. Had really great colleagues and the manager was friendly and helpful. I never felt stressed, she was always there behind me. Gained knowledge and enhanced my teaching skills.
I worked at Sylvan for the equivalent of one school year. My shifts were around 2-4 hours during after school hours for the students I would be working with.

It was fairly a straight forward job, and lessons were provided by Sylvan's program or you worked with the students on homework they had from school.

Initially started out making more than minimum wage, but once the national minimum increased, the centre kept the wage the same (which was the new minimum).
You have the opportunity to meet all kinds of people. Sylvan helps students of all ages from Pre-K through 12th grade get extra academic help so that they can be successful in school. It is great to work with students and know that you are making a difference in their lives.
I really loved learning a lot at Sylvan learning center. The students were engaging and learned new lessons. Overall,it is a great atmosphere. There are ups and downs and sometimes I felt I was overworking because I speak in French. But moreover it was great and I am glad I worked at Sylvan. Would highly recommend.
Pros
great learning atmosphere
Cons
unexpected homework and assigning students with different subjects at one table
Work can be easy, but the pay does not reflect their desired qualification and there is no chance for a raise unless asked for (possibly owner dependent), and even then it is not likely. Working hours are only after school, so this job only suffices as a side job.
Management tries their best to create a friendly environment but the salary is abysmal. As all tutors are part-time positions, we also didn't get any benefits. The workload wasn't overwhelming and management is usually good at letting you know their expectations.

Unfortunately, the training they provide tutors is not enough to handle the day-to-day challenges you might face while teaching. Sylvan also doesn't provide any training on how to help students with special needs.

The company has a high turnover rate for tutors and the staff is underpaid in general. Don't expect support when dealing with special needs children and you don't need to be a certified teacher to get hired and start working there.
A student reported being abused to which given my professional affiliations I had a duty to report. Police investigated and confirmed abuse was occuring in the home. The parents complained to Sylvan that teachers had no right to report the abuse and that they were pulling the child from service. (thus no money) I was told by Sylvan "we are here to make money, not help every kid. as long as parents are paying we don't ask questions." I resigned that day on the spot as I refuse to work for a company that lacked ethics (at this location)
Pros
well structured system of learning
Cons
money was priority not progress of learning.
Pay is low, employees' skills are taken advantage of, management is extremely unprofessional, not supportive, frequent technical errors. Good place to work if under different management.
The staff isnt always friendly. The hours and schedules are just made up at random. They call you in whenever they need you, there is little flexibility when it comes to switching or cancelling shifts. Plus, they ask you to teach other subjects, regardless of your qualifications. They print out worksheets online for student. It would be best to get your child an in home tutor.
a typical day at work was one hour I help with one kids another hour a different one and 3rd one in the last hour. I Learned I need to always put a smile on even if I dislike it. hardest part of the job is when you explain to them for one question but they can't do it a second time.
It is great to interact with the kids and have minimal paperwork to complete as all of the lessons are prepared for you and materials are provided. The downside is that the pay is fairly low and the hours are not guaranteed as it is based on students' attendance.
Management is very supportive and the job is very rewarding. It was wonderful to see children learn and achieve and the programs offered give teachers a different experience in small group-individualized planning.
Pros
Very rewarding job
Cons
Required to work in evening, weekends, summer holidays
Sylvan had me in an engaging work experience with children eager to learn about computers and what they can do. Their energetic attitudes kept the work feeling interesting and fun while also giving them the knowledge to code machines.
Pros
Relaxing Work Environment
Cons
Certain Supplies Were Missing Or Not Available
Whether you are on track to become a teacher or not, Sylvan is a great place to challenge yourself and learn new skills while building a positive and meaningful relationship with students. Management is supportive and caring. The Directors at Oakville Sylvan are not only extremely experienced but know how to create a positive team environment. As a current teacher, Sylvan helped me to further develop the confidence and skills I needed o transition from teachers college to the classroom. You will learn many skills to help struggling students but also how to communicate to a variety of a different learners. Technology is also a huge part of Sylvan program and helped me in understanding how and when technology can really aid students in their learning. For most students, Sylvan is an extremely positive experience thanks to great families, staff and directors.
Pros
- flexible work hours
I worked at Sylvan Oakville for 1 year as a part time tutor and 1 year as a full time lead teacher and I loved it! The work Sylvan does is truly rewarding and every day is unique. Having lessons planned for you and materials ready to go really allows you to develop your skills delivering lessons to a variety of students. I left Sylvan a way better teacher then I was when I started, and was definitely way more prepared to take on the challenge of my own classroom because of this. The team at Sylvan Oakville is exceptional! They repeatedly go out of their way to make sure staff are prepared, comfortable and in a position to be successful every day. The kids and families love it at Sylavn Oakville and being a part of that community every day was special. Highly recommend any passionate teacher to spend some time developing their skills at Sylvan Oakville!!
Pros
Flexible schedule, Great work environment, Great for developing teaching skills
Cons
Few long term career opportunities available and low salaries for full time employees
I worked at Sylvan Oakville for almost two years and enjoyed every minute of it. The staff are supportive and provide their teachers with the necessary tools to succeed. Everyone supports one another and works together for the benefit of the students. Working so closely with students, you get to know them and you see the positive impact that you have on them each day. It is one of the most rewarding aspects of the job. Sylvan Oakville has a great owner and Director of Education and it is great to work with such dedicated people.

I would go back to Sylvan Oakville in a second if I lived in the area again!
Working at Sylvan was a great experience. As teachers, we know how competitive the job market can be, and working in a place like this definitely gives you a leg up on the competition. Extra teaching experience never hurts, plus you learn strategies that you may not have been taught while earning your degree. I find myself applying things I learned at this center in my own classroom on a daily basis.

The administrators at this center will give you all the support you need, and understand that your availability may differ from week to week due to other commitments. That being said, I wanted to work every day and they were able to provide the hours for me. You honestly won't find nicer people to work for.
Pros
Flexible hours. Good admin.
I worked at Sylvan as a Teacher for 3 years and loved every minute of it. Sylvan Oakville has a great owner as well as center Director and Education Director. Everyone at Sylvan Oakville just want their students to succeed. Working at Sylvan part time made it really easy for me to balance both a full time job as well as my other extra curricular's. Its a great way to keep on teaching while you wait for a board to open up and its a great way to learn how to be a better teacher.

If I moved back to the area I would work at Sylvan in a heart beat!
Students benefited noticeably. Reading and mathematics showed improvement of 1 to 2 grade levels within six weeks. The salary was not enough for someone of my educational level and skills. Overall a positive work environment.
It is a great environment to get back to the teaching part of Education. Just working with the kids and helping each of them succeed without any planning or headaches of administrative work.
Pros
Nothing brought home
Cons
Only Part time
Not a lot of room for advancement and not many hours in the summers. Works for some students but not all. The program is proven to work, preferable to the Kumon approach.
Pros
flexible
Cons
no advancement opportunities, lack of hours