Sylvan Learning Center Employee Reviews

Great, supportive environment and rewarding work
Tutor, Summer Camp Director (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON5 January 2018
Whether you are on track to become a teacher or not, Sylvan is a great place to challenge yourself and learn new skills while building a positive and meaningful relationship with students. Management is supportive and caring. The Directors at Oakville Sylvan are not only extremely experienced but know how to create a positive team environment. As a current teacher, Sylvan helped me to further develop the confidence and skills I needed o transition from teachers college to the classroom. You will learn many skills to help struggling students but also how to communicate to a variety of a different learners. Technology is also a huge part of Sylvan program and helped me in understanding how and when technology can really aid students in their learning. For most students, Sylvan is an extremely positive experience thanks to great families, staff and directors.
Pros
- flexible work hours
Excellent environment and great place to develop
Former Tutor and Lead Teacher (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON11 December 2017
I worked at Sylvan Oakville for 1 year as a part time tutor and 1 year as a full time lead teacher and I loved it! The work Sylvan does is truly rewarding and every day is unique. Having lessons planned for you and materials ready to go really allows you to develop your skills delivering lessons to a variety of students. I left Sylvan a way better teacher then I was when I started, and was definitely way more prepared to take on the challenge of my own classroom because of this. The team at Sylvan Oakville is exceptional! They repeatedly go out of their way to make sure staff are prepared, comfortable and in a position to be successful every day. The kids and families love it at Sylavn Oakville and being a part of that community every day was special. Highly recommend any passionate teacher to spend some time developing their skills at Sylvan Oakville!!
Pros
Flexible schedule, Great work environment, Great for developing teaching skills
Cons
Few long term career opportunities available and low salaries for full time employees
Amazing workplace
Lead Teacher (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON10 December 2017
I worked at Sylvan Oakville for almost two years and enjoyed every minute of it. The staff are supportive and provide their teachers with the necessary tools to succeed. Everyone supports one another and works together for the benefit of the students. Working so closely with students, you get to know them and you see the positive impact that you have on them each day. It is one of the most rewarding aspects of the job. Sylvan Oakville has a great owner and Director of Education and it is great to work with such dedicated people.

I would go back to Sylvan Oakville in a second if I lived in the area again!
Good atmosphere, supportive directors.
Lead Teacher (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON9 December 2017
Working at Sylvan was a great experience. As teachers, we know how competitive the job market can be, and working in a place like this definitely gives you a leg up on the competition. Extra teaching experience never hurts, plus you learn strategies that you may not have been taught while earning your degree. I find myself applying things I learned at this center in my own classroom on a daily basis.

The administrators at this center will give you all the support you need, and understand that your availability may differ from week to week due to other commitments. That being said, I wanted to work every day and they were able to provide the hours for me. You honestly won't find nicer people to work for.
Pros
Flexible hours. Good admin.
Amazing place to work
Lead Teacher (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON8 December 2017
I worked at Sylvan as a Teacher for 3 years and loved every minute of it. Sylvan Oakville has a great owner as well as center Director and Education Director. Everyone at Sylvan Oakville just want their students to succeed. Working at Sylvan part time made it really easy for me to balance both a full time job as well as my other extra curricular's. Its a great way to keep on teaching while you wait for a board to open up and its a great way to learn how to be a better teacher.

If I moved back to the area I would work at Sylvan in a heart beat!
Effective educational system
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 August 2017
Students benefited noticeably. Reading and mathematics showed improvement of 1 to 2 grade levels within six weeks. The salary was not enough for someone of my educational level and skills. Overall a positive work environment.
Great for just teaching
TEACHER/TUTOR (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 July 2017
It is a great environment to get back to the teaching part of Education. Just working with the kids and helping each of them succeed without any planning or headaches of administrative work.
Pros
Nothing brought home
Cons
Only Part time
Excellent place to work part-time
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 July 2017
Not a lot of room for advancement and not many hours in the summers. Works for some students but not all. The program is proven to work, preferable to the Kumon approach.
Pros
flexible
Cons
no advancement opportunities, lack of hours
A fun environment, tutoring students aged 5 to 19, in every subject imaginable!
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB5 July 2017
Sylvan Learning Center follows a strict teaching guideline that must be followed throughout all the Sylvan Centers across Canada to allow for continuity for its students. While at first I was not used to teaching under such strict guidelines, I found ways to 'make it my own'. A big positive were the small class sizes- usually just 3 students at one time; although each of the 3 could be different ages, attend different schools and need help with different subjects! It was an intense, personal, fulfilling environment. I loved seeing the progress students made during my time at this position.
Pros
Small class sizes
Cons
Not able to work full time at any Sylvan Center unless you are NOT a teacher! (Ex: custodians, receptionists, etc WERE able to have full time work)
Part Time
Tutor and Sales Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 June 2017
Good if you want to get into teaching, shifts are shorter but you get to teach a variety of subjects.

Current centre director (June 2017) is a great director and really has the place running smoothly
Making a difference in the lives of children and families
Center Director (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB20 March 2017
Sylvan Learning Centres really offer programs that make a tangible difference in the lives of children and families, as children succeed in their academic goals.
Pros
Low teacher to Student Ratio
Cons
Busiest in the summer
Awesome place to work
Academic Tutor (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, AB1 February 2017
One of my favorite jobs. I worked here while still in high school and was able to balance a work schedule while studying for diploma examinations.
Supportive management and enjoyable workplace
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Thornhill, ON9 January 2017
Teaching academic reading, writing, math and French lessons for a wide range of students grade JK to 12, with work customized to student’s individual learning needs. Management was very accommodating to schedule changes and teaching resources were well provided.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Not enough hours and far commute
Learnt a lot throughout this job.
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON22 November 2016
Maintain a professional decorum in the main reception area, receive new and scheduled students/parents

Prepared and administer Sylvan Skills Assessments and provide enrollment kits for parents

Process accounts payable and accounts receivables duties; bank deposits and student account reconciliations

Volunteers – maintain volunteer database and recruit for BIA events as required
Poorly run by the franchise owners.
Centre Director (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 October 2016
Unfair hiring practices with salaries given out of desperation. Unfair sales tactics to win the business of families. Overworked for underpay. Unrealistic expectations of employees. Loud learning environment for students. Unethical business practices.
Pros
Speaking to parents and kids
Cons
Long hours with little recognition for going above and beyond
Work is rewarding. Pay is not.
Tutor/Instructor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 September 2016
Being a tutor at Sylvan must be viewed as what it is; a low paying hobby job. Since the turnover at these centers is very high/fast, most instructors do not even really consider the degree to which they are being taken advantage of financially, before they leave for greener pastures. For example, students pay $50/ hour and an instructor who tutors on average of 3 students per hour makes $10-$15/hour; a tenth of the incoming revenue. For whatever reason, judging from the majority of the reviews here, most Sylvan instructors think this is perfectly OK. This may be attributable to the fact that most Sylvan employees are housewives, retirees and/or students and are therefore able and willing to overlook the fact that the only person benefitting financially from the arrangement is the franchise owner. And in the context of a fun, hobby job it is rewarding to work with small numbers of students. These students do sometimes benefit from the very expensive attention given to them since the role of the instructor is to be a supportive, nurturing presence.

For most people Sylvan does not represent a career path but a filler or temporary job that can give a person extremely valuable insight into the necessity of labor unions and fair employment laws which Sylvan is barely within the parameters of, at times; and definitely clearly exploiting highly educated people and their credentials for personal gain. Make no mistake about that, if you choose to donate your time & talents to this organization.
Pros
A sense of personal satisfaction from connecting with students
Cons
Low pay, no benefits, sporadic shifts often cancelled at the last minute, being exploited by a corporate entity, questionable testing and performance assessments
productive working environment
mentor (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON30 July 2016
I feel very happy helping children with their education. It is a great way of becoming patient, coping with level of stress and being able to handle sensitive situations.
Pros
experience
Cons
short working hours
Great experience and led to further opportunities.
Education Tutor (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB1 May 2016
The work is quite varied and interesting. I learned to be efficient with time maximizing learning for each student. Management was not consistent and it changed a lot. Co-workers worked well together. The hardest part of the job was that the salary was very low for qualified teachers. The most enjoyable part of the job was the relationship with the students and the success they achieved.
Good experience
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON12 April 2016
I enjoy working at Sylvan overall. The teachers and Director of the centre provide a positive atmosphere for everyone,
I teach students in a 3:1 ratio. subjects varying from English to Math to homework support.
Pros
working with kids and making a difference in their academic career.
Cons
teaching different subjects at one 1 time
Can be a good place to work
Centre Director (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, AB31 March 2016
It was great interacting with the kids. Feeling like you are really helping them get ahead in school. That part of the job is really rewarding. The admin part of the job can be a little stressful but overall, I was glad to work for Sylvan because of the kids.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sylvan Learning Center. Our community is ready to answer.