Sykes Enterprises, Incorporated Employee Reviews for Customer Service Representative

Found 157 reviews matching the search See all 5,553 reviews
Liked my boss but they will fire you for their equipment failing
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC15 February 2019
I was with the company for 2 years, loved my job and found that though it was easy for me to hit sales goals and regularly get above targets set I very soon ran into problems with the USB that was provided to run the virtual client. I had several replacement USB's sent to me and eventually they changed it to a box of sorts that was supposed to be more stable. I'd had trouble with the client disconnecting from the server, crashing and sometimes failing to load even with basic troubleshooting and escalations through tech support.

It was decided that the USB wasn't working for me and that I'd have a box sent out that should resolve the issues period. During a rough day with the USB I found out they'd tried to record a call (monitoring) but couldn't get anything because it wasn't connecting yet again. I had a good track record with sales, jump ons (when they needed people to do OT or to cover sick coworkers) including for an iPhone launch where I worked an 18, 14, 12 then an 8 hour shift on a long weekend, even won an iPad for most OT worked that weekend.

Well turns out because they couldn't record the call it was an automatic Call Avoidance, I tried to explain the problems I'd had and told them I could give them every ticket number and escalation number proving it was the USB and I was still taking calls not avoiding them. Nope fired, they don't care if THEIR stuff doesn't work it was my fault their USB was faulty.

Box arrived the next day and I had to decline the delivery. This company doesn't care if their stuff fails or is faulty you will be blamed and held accountable.
  more... That is how they work.  less
Pros
Some managers are nice
Cons
Horrible equipment provided that has constant problems
Telecommuting in an interesting way.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Thorold, ON17 January 2019
This was the LLC for a telecommuting infrastructure as a form of call center. Sykes provided a boot CD that turned your computer into a LINUX based Remote Terminal for their call center. However the call you needed to take still came in on a land line you were REQUIRED to have. This line was to be dedicated for their use. A number of issues would arise from this setup. If at any point your internet went out or if there was and internal error, you were effectively cut off from your tools, but still kept getting calls on your phone line. Management was communicated with via a chat client on the Boot CD. If there was ever an issue with your CD and you couldn't get back into the system then you were cut off completely. Any time you needed help you had to go through a convoluted internal messaging system that barely worked at the best of times. Ultimately, even though the job was advertised as a customer service, non-sales, position; it very quickly became a sales-first-customer-service-sometimes job. An interesting experience to say the least.
Pros
work from home
Cons
work from home, upfront costs, hardware costs (headset phone), Technical issues a plenty, Stressful work
Fun
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB4 January 2019
This is a call center atmosphere, always the same, dealing with good and bad clients on a daily basis. You learned how to detect a persons mood and attitude in a matter of seconds. The management was good as they tried to make the stressful job more fun by having different contests and games happening, The hardest was dealing with and extremely irate customer. The co workers were the best part of this job.
Great Place to work
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, ON5 December 2018
Great place to work and the benefits of working at home and the medical/dental/vision benefits as well are excellent.

Managers and supervisors are great and very approachable as well.
"A Program"
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Miramichi, NB1 November 2018
Well I worked for the company for 2 years. Most of the day was filled with dealing with billing questions about cell phones, and fixing issues with the customers profile within the website, days were long and draining. Most of the management was competent with the job, although most of the time they were there as a mediator if a situation got out of hand with a customer. I had to leave due to stress. Hardest part of the job was the stress that it put on your mind, people tend to say mean, offensive, or derogatory things when they can't see or hear who you are. I worked out of a center where there was a lot of people so it could get loud on occasion, now the area I was working no longer has the contract, however they still allow people to work from home.
Pros
decent benefits.
Cons
Very stressful.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB30 October 2018
I enjoyed working with the staff members. Staff was always willing to assist in I needed assistance. Management was encouraging and understanding while I was learning.
Very busy taking phone calls from customers
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Riverview, NB25 September 2018
Responding to customers of what they want for service, assist the customers in getting the correct service. Lots of help to help you out when your not understanding something. Hardest part was when customers were very unhappy with their services. Best part was working with great colleagues.
difficult management culture
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Riverview, NB11 September 2018
answer calls.
basic csr then moved to loyalty rep.
management very difficult to deal with. no communication, no positive support for new reps.
irrational customers is the hardest to deal with.
coworkers.
Pros
coworker
Cons
management
Managers are good, but work is very stressful
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON31 August 2018
Do not apply to work for the client Rogers Communicagtions. Other clients of Sykes are likely much less stressful and demanding. You will end up working nights and weekends.
Pros
Great Supervisors
Cons
High Stress
very organized
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Miramichi, NB25 August 2018
typical day at work was taking customer calls and inquiries all day. I learned how to be a team played and properly engage with an irate client. hardest part of the job was the mental and emotional abuse endured while on these calls with the customer along with the fact there was no daycare or chances of having proper work scheduling for single mothers. most enjoyable part of my job was definitely my team lead. he made every meeting very personal and always made me feel appreciated and determined to keep improving my customer service skills.
Great perks for work at home, but...
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, ON24 August 2018
Cons: You need to be ready to be pounded with call after call often with no breaks between. You are required to meet a strict metrics for performance of which sales is a MAJOR factor. Support system is really bad as it is all done by text. Often felt abandoned or misunderstood. Training does not fully prepare you for the harsh reality of taking your first calls.

Pros: Loved the extra pay per hour for Ontario work from home. Loved not having to adhere to strict grooming rules as customers never see you.

Left due to not being able to handle the stress and lack of support.
Tough
Customer Service Consultant (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON31 July 2018
This was easily the hardest job I ever had. Working until midnight was a challenge and I would never want to work at a call centre again. The strict sales requirements were more than a challenge.
Customer Service Representative & Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  National Capital Region6 June 2018
Handling inbound calls is different from my other experiences, with this job i assist customers thru phone with their needs. I've learned on how to be patient in every scenario. I always keep my mind that customer is always right and have to advise positive answers with them. Hardest part is that when your customers didn't understand what your thought is that might help them with there concerns.
training very hard if not computer savvy
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Home Based4 June 2018
Work and training hours long and you are not allowed to miss any of the training days at the start. Have to set up your office that you pay for and do not get re-inbursed. Need to purchase home phone line and a few headsets and monitor. Have to have desktop PC.

Word of advice, If you apply for this job make sure you are good on computers, are comfortable with them. Be prepared to deal with angry customers for 8 hours a day once you start on the phones.

Could be a great job for someone who has no issues with the above as the work from home concept is great but not for everyone
Pros
decent pay, more than minimum
Cons
not much life work balance, work long hours
Fun
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  PH21 May 2018
It was fun when I worked there though I only worked for 6 months just because of the management at that time. If the management was good enough to treat their employees fairly I would have stayed there for a long time. But again this is just based on my experience, it is still based on how you deal with your own issues in the company
Customer service representative (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC1 April 2018
I loved working at Sykes cause it was from my Home
it was awesome to not have to travel to work or spend money on babysitter

the job was great helping customers with billing and getting new products ie cellphones home phone cable and internet

i would get about 60 calls a day or more it was fast paced and great made the day go by faster some days it was so slow that we would get offed to jump off the phones for the day because it was so slow
Pros
work from home
Sykes
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Miramichi, NB9 March 2018
It was a wonderful place to work when ICT ran it. When Sykes took over we lost our 20 cent raise every 1000 hours, there is no incentive to work there. I met some wonderful friends while working there and have had some wonderful experiences with customers both on the phone and through chat.
Sykes work @ home
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC8 March 2018
Very unpleasant company from management to hr they harass you for everything and say people are treated equally .If you want my advise don't bother with this company. Managers and hr laugh at you and always call you with another 2 3 people on the call to make sure they cover themselves and your alone bring a lawyer .
Pros
Nothing everythig sucks
Cons
Sucks
Soul sucking work and environment!
Customer Assistance Representative (Former Employee) –  London, Ontario28 February 2018
This company SUCKS! Do yourself a favour and avoid them.

If you like to have every minute of your life monitored and be docked for being 1 minute late starting or 1 minute over on your break, then this is the place for you.

They will brow beat you into submission, or they will fire you. They do not like individuality. They want obedient drones, robots.......not human beings.

They can't pay me enough to put up with rude customers yelling at me and making unreasonable demands, and constant threats of being fired for silly reasons. Very stressful job!

I was fired out of the blue after 8 months with no real explanation/reason given. I had a meeting by phone with my supervisor 6 days before they fired me, and he told me he was happy with me and my work, and just keep doing what I'm doing.......go figure. That's okay though. They actually did me a favour because I was not happy there at all and wanted out. I was just waiting until I could find something else. Now I have all the time in the world to do so. Good riddance!!!
Pros
Work from Home
Cons
Everything else.
it will suck the life out of you
Customer Service Agent and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON24 February 2018
Working for sykes was the most stressful and mentally draining job I ever had.
Yes you work from home it is like a virtual call center with the customers calling in. You work for a major telecommunications company assisting their customers with their accounts.
The issue is that the customers are horrible! They yell and scream at you and bully you into giving them a credit on their bill or free gb's on their plan.
you have 0 support when this happens and you are not allowed to stick up for yourself. If you do it is called a customer mistreat. The only time the managers will help is if the customers demands the manager or when they will be able to give the customer what they want otherwise you are on your own
You are expected to do 5 separate tasks (reconfirm email, voice ID, pitch, notes, resolution statement, reason codes) while on the phone with the customer and if you don't do those 5 things you are told about it.
Employees are rated all by statistics and ratings and if you didnt do well in one of those tasks all of your co workers can see that in the overall percentages.
Good luck ever getting a day off!!! Employees beg for others to take their shifts in an adobe room. Literally they beg, it's sad.
Your shifts are always the same with the same 2 days off in the middle of the week. But your start times vary.

Whenever there are changes you are never told ahead of time. You sign onto your shift and sometimes you notice the document but other times the customer tells you about the changes!!
Pros
not a boring job
Cons
very bad communication, poorly structured environment, no work/life balance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sykes Enterprises, Incorporated. Our community is ready to answer.

51.4K