Sword Security Employee Reviews

minimal phase, Professional.
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 December 2018
Attentive and personable Senior Security Officer with 4 years’ experience ensuring the safety and security of property and personnel in retail, business, and casino settings. Subject matter expert in non-violent confrontation techniques. Confident security supervisor with experience managing security teams of up to 15. Constantly staying up-to-date with industry trends, researches and implements the latest security policies, protocols, and procedures.
Pros
free lunch
Awesome Experience
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Varied14 April 2018
At last an event security company who values their staff and pay accordingly, with event pay rates starting at 14.50ph these guys are well ahead of the other pretenders. Great gigs and venues as they tend to aim for the higher end stuff and not the rubbish of veld etc... would recommend them to anyone who needs extra take home pay in the summer
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Some quieter periods
25 July 2018

Thank you for the review, you are correct we do value our employees and $14.50 is our starting rate, with relevant experience and positive appraisals we pay as much as $20-$22 ph for some of our higher end events and clients.

Over all its a good start.
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 January 2018
Sword has issues with scheduling and paying correctly big time, expect to drop by the office a few times a month to dispute your pay, company lacks common sense and often mistreats their employees with out realizing it or admitting its faults. Generally you'll advance to supervisor if you can pay attention to details, however most importantly is if you know how to stress others by yelling at them.
25 January 2018

I am really sorry to hear your experience with us was less than favourable, please contact me to discuss your concerns expressed and I can assure you of my attention to same. Regards, Derek

Fun opportunities but nocommunication
SECURITY GUARD (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 January 2018
Sword is a great place to work but the people in management seem to go through a power trip every once in a while and need to figure out a way to communicate better with the employees.
Pros
fun opportunities
Cons
long hours and bad communication with employees
25 January 2018

Thank you for your comment, can you explain in more detail how we failed to communicate so that I can put corrective measures in place. Regards, Derek

A stepping stone for something better
Security Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 December 2017
Unfortunately I was not impressed. I have since taken no shifts in the past while as I have seen nothing positive. There was lack of organization and management. No serious training for staff in general.
Pros
Entry to possibly learn something
Cons
Organization, leadership
25 January 2018

Thank you for your comment, when people come to us with a valid security licence it is presumed they have completed mandatory training. Any additional training is generally site specific, however we do have an online training platform that you would have been informed about at interview stage called Initiafy. There you will find courses such as:

AODA: The act and the code
See something, say something
Active Shooter and terrorism awareness training
Walkthrough magnetometer and hand held screening training
Whimis
Site/Venue specific training

On succesful completion of said courses you can also print and retain certification, what specific training was lacking in your opinion so I can better understand your review? Thank you

Regards, Derek

Sword Security
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 November 2017
Wouldn't work there again ever. No recognition for work. Barely give breaks. Took me almost a month to get paid and took tedious emails and phone calls before I was paid in full.
25 January 2018

Thank you for your comment, it took you almost a month to get paid because we pay monthly, this was explained to you at interview stage and also in your contract of employment that you signed prior to working a shift. In relation to breaks, we take staff welfare extremely seriously and this should have been raised on the day with your supervisor. Sword are one of very few Security companies that do pay you for your breaks however which is an industry plus. Regards, Derek

Always rushing
Salesperson (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 July 2017
The Management at this particular dollarama was horrible, being bossed around like a slave and then no brakes for long 6 hour shift. My worst job experience by far
Cons
management
25 January 2018

Thank you for your comment however Dollarama??? Wrong company page I'm afraid.

An awesome place to work part time
Security (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 June 2017
The people and pay are awesome. Employees are respectful to each other except for a very few supervisors who are a nut case. Other than that Sword is a great place to work. I wish we could secure more contracts. Since our pay was raised, I have had the sense of obligation to improve my performance as well especially standing properly which is tough but the pay is worth it.

An owner of a billion dollar company once said, "Treat your employees well and they will treat your clients well." This is exactly what Sword is doing. By treating us well, in return we are doing our best to serve our clients with only the best customer service. :)
25 July 2018

Thank you for the review, we had some complaints in relation to previous Supervisors in the passed and we actioned upon those complaints and those supervisors in question are working elsewhere presently.

Great team
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 April 2017
Currently employed with Sword Security for over 2years. Since then I have gained a lot of knowledge from other guards and in particular site managers. Hours are flexible with plenty of shifts for staff. Summer months are busy which is great for all of us students to work up to 12hrs a day at varying big Toronto events and locations! You can make plenty of friends and enjoy your shift while doing what is expected of you. I initially started working at sword just to earn money but once i finish school I plan to continue to work as a security guard, a job which at first I thought i wouldn't like!
Initially I found payments weren't on time but it seems they've changed their payroll system and we are paid on time.
Pros
paid through breaks
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 March 2017
Working with Sword security is very fun, and has plenty of benefits. I enjoy making friends with my co-works. There is so much to learn. They offer many different job sites to work at. And have a great training program.
Pros
You can meet professional athletes.
Cons
There are non
Great
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 May 2016
Secures premises and personnel by patrolling property; monitoring surveillance equipment; inspecting buildings, equipment, and access points; permitting entry.
Obtains help by sounding alarms.
Prevents losses and damage by reporting irregularities; informing violators of policy and procedures; restraining trespassers.
Controls traffic by directing drivers.
Pros
Many shifts available
Cons
You get paid every month
Review
Screener/Guard (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 May 2016
lost my pay information so i didn't get paid for over 3 weeks and kept telling me to look out for it. didn't appreciate that.
25 January 2018

I am sorry you experienced an issue with regards to your payroll, however in instances like that we do post a cheque to your home address in a timely manner, unfortunately we are not responsible for delays in mail delivery. We have robust systems in place but on this occasion they hit a speed bump, we do apologize for any inconvenience. Regards, Derek

Fun place to work
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 March 2016
this job is really easy and i have learned how to talk to people and how to dress properly. most enjoyable part of the job is i get to meet alot of new people and famous soccer players
Pros
more paid
Cons
less hours
Great sites to work at by management is 'iffy'
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 November 2015
This company has a variety of sites that you can work at and you can get great experience doing it. Many hours but there is not enough management is hard to get compensated for your pay if there is a mistake made!
Pros
Fun sites to work at
Cons
Terrible management
25 January 2018

I am really sorry you feel that management was not up to your standard, can you add more detail as to what exactly we failed to deliver on so I can ensure our standards continue to exceed our competitors. Regards, Derek

long hours, flexible, pretty good hourly payments, but unoraginized
security guard (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 November 2015
This company gave great 12 hour shifts with a good 14.50 an hour. The timing was flexible which is positive but i would have appreciated consistent hours a week. This company was also unorganized and missed payments too often, overall the company has an okay 3 out of 5 star rating in my eyes because of hourly pay and amount of hours per shift.
Pros
14.50 each hour for 12 hour shifts
Cons
no consistent shifts and payments weren't always on time
25 January 2018

Thank you for your comment, I appreciate you wanting consistent hours but we are predominantly an event security company, the very nature of events are sporadical and the hours can be added or amended by the client with extremely short notice, hence the inconsistency. The majority of security personnel who work events are aware and love the diversity because it never gets dull. In relation to your payroll concerns I can only apologize for any inconvenience, however we have implemented new payroll systems since your review which has rectified any previous hiccups. Regards, Derek

Mediocre
Security (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 August 2015
Mediocre company with mediocre workers.
Fairly new in Canada.
Overall its mediocre.
Good sites and posts with friendly site managers.
25 January 2018

Thank you for your comment, where you one of our mediocre workers? I jest of course. As your review states we were fairly new to Canada in 2015 but have gone from strength to strength year on year and appreciate your observations, these reviews help us to be better all around. Regards, Derek

Lacking knowledge of Canada Guidelines
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON17 August 2015
Currently working for Sword Security. Not the best out there due to lack of communication and issues with Supervisors that seem to have power trips over the little guys. Water is not always provided. Very difficult to get o/t when hours are over worked. Pay is always on time but 60% of employees calling in due to short hours lacking on two week payroll stub. Company has potential but needs to make many positive changes if they plan to succeed. The company must also learn to follow Canada guidelines. Many employees have filed complaints to labour board and many are only dealing with this company for a limited time to ring in hours for school payments. Supervisors are hired with no training and are lacking good customer service and teamwork. Have not met a single Supervisor yet that was decent with employees treating people as equal. Breaks are another big issue. Many guards in the sun all day for 12 hours given only 15 min Breaks due to poor organization on Supervisors part. Currently working with Sword till something more decent comes along.
Pros
Many international students, jobs located with in transportation distance, Last minute shifts available.
Cons
Power tripping Supervisors, No overtime paid, Lack of communication
25 January 2018

Thank you for your comment, I have addressed your concerns in other reviews and appreciate the feedback so we can only improve on who we are and what we do. regards, Derek

My time with Sword Security
Event Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 August 2015
Worked as an event guard during the Panam/Parapan 2015.
A typical day at work would be working for shifts averaging 12 hrs shifts, the positive parts were: working independently, got to explore many different venues in different parts of Toronto during the games, got to experience events (never experienced events such as PANAM, before), got to meet a bunch of international workers, some were great, some were alright--pretty much you find these situations at every work place. Co-workers were mostly friendly, supervisors--mostly friendly, some were alright, though most of them are quite accommodating--they would go out their ways to assist, during the games there were plenty of work hours, they provide water bottles for most of the time, pay is on time and when there is a discrepancy, the payroll dept rectified that immediately for the upcoming pay date, they are quite flexible for work availability.
The negative experiences include: the non-consistence work schedule, some time you would be called in and due to the number of guards needed for that site, the extra workers would either got dispersed to another venue, or be given the option to go home, there is no guarantee that you would be paid for your time for showing up.
Breaks were chaotic, there would be times that breaks were not decently given, albeit as of late they did improved, no overtime pay, so if you work 12 hrs/+, you would not be paid 1.5 times, you would still be paid straight pay (the agreed amount), when your time to go home, there is no guarantee that you would be going home on time, communications between
  more... the office and the field workers are lacking,
Overall, I enjoyed the experience of it, got the experience of seeing construction for events, during the events, and the take-downs(clean up) after the events. This company is still quite young in Canada. I am not sure with their home base in Ireland. It is a security event company.
Pros
Flexibility for work availability, Provide water bottles, And on-time pays
Cons
Long hours, No o/t, Sporadic breaks.
Great chances for advancement
Guard/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 December 2014
This company is great to work for to get experience and to advance quickly if you do your best and learn quickly as well.
A nice, challenging part time workplace
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 August 2014
A very good place to start off as a security guard, as it likely pays more than places like Intercon. Jobs are mostly at BMO Field, but can also be in other locations downtown. Responsibilities range from access control/bag check at the front gates to in-field duties such as making sure there are no potential pitch invasions.

This is not a full time, 40 hour a week job, as you will be called to work during certain events on certain days, but they are very accommodating to those who have another full time job, so this is a very good place to make some extra spending money if you have nothing to do on a Saturday or Sunday.

As long as you do as you are told, you should be totally fine.
Pros
A great place to start off as a security guard, higher pay than other companies.
Cons
Pay dates may not always consistant, but you WILL be paid afterwards if an issue occurs. No benefits because of the part time, on-call nature of the jobs.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sword Security. Our community is ready to answer.

Sword Security Reviews by Location