Swiss Ridge Kennels Employee Reviews

Stunning Kennel
Imprinting Trainer (Current Employee) –  Schomberg, ON6 January 2020
I’m so happy to be working at Swissridge kennels as an imprinting trainer. The owner easy to talk to, fair, and open minded. The kennel itself is stunning, and most importantly clean with happy dogs. This is a dream job, training adorable puppies. And working with great people.
Upbeat atmosphere
Kennel Manager (Current Employee) –  Schomberg, ON30 December 2019
I have worked at SwissRidge Kennels for over 4 years now in a variety of roles. I have felt a sense of pride with each aspect of my various responsibilities (cleaning kennels, training dogs, whelping puppies, training staff and so much more). I started working at SwissRidge when the new location was first built.
I started in a management position and had a great professional partnership with the rest of the team. I was encouraged by how hands on everyone was in the kennel and how the management really valued my feedback when making decisions, even just small details like the protocol for cleaning kennels. It is an upbeat team atmosphere, and I have since transitioned into an office role.
The management maintains a trusting and supportive relationship with employees and makes sure to work around everyone's schedules and lives. I see myself working here for many more years and welcome new members to the Swissridge team with enthusiasm.
Great Learning Experience
Kennel Staff (Current Employee) –  Schomberg, ON23 December 2019
I have been part of the SwissRidge Kennels team for the past 10 months and it has been an excellent experience so far! It has taken me some time to figure out what I want to do career wise with my life and I feel that joining this team has really helped me find my path. Every day there is a new learning experience with the puppies and dogs, I have learned a lot so far and look forward for learning opportunities to come. Working with the dogs at SwissRidge is always a joy, they are all always eager to see you greeting you with lots of love and excitement. At SwissRidge we as a team consider the health and happiness of the dog as our main priority, from a healthy diet to lots of exercise and play time!
The support and understanding from the management has been an experience I’ve never had before! Whether it be questions I’ve had about the dogs or accommodating my schedule they have both been amazing. The team that I work with has been amazing as well, always helping one another if anyone falls behind to help the shift go smoothly. In the time I have been with the company, I have never felt put down for asking my coworkers questions or asking for help and they have always made me feel like a part of the team! The kennel being state of the art, the dogs being fantastic to be with and handle and the amazing coworkers I don’t think I could have ever turned this job down!
Positive experience
Dog Trainer (Current Employee) –  Schomberg, ON17 December 2019
Working for Swissridge Kennels has been a very positive experience for me, the owner has been really pleasant to work for. Some of my duties are training the breeding dogs in the kennel, puppy trainer, and also working as an apprentice for inboard training dogs. I really enjoy working at Swissridge, the company is very well run and produces some of the best dogs in the world. I can't see myself working anywhere else. My goal is to continue to grow as a trainer and be a valuable asset to the Swissridge team.
Very organized
Kennel Staff (Former Employee) –  Schomberg, ON10 December 2019
I worked as a puppy trainer for Swiss Ridge. The kennel is bright, clean, organized, and home to some of the cutest pups around. I liked that I got to work fairly independently and I was impressed at how organized and thorough all elements of the program were. The other trainers and staff at the kennel were very friendly and all the pups were treated with tender loving care!
Happy to be apart of this amazing team!
Kennel Attendant (Current Employee) –  Schomberg, ON9 December 2019
I have been working at SwissRidge Kennels for just over six years. The employees are treated very well and very fairly. I feel appreciated for the work I put in. All the dogs and puppies are well taken care of and are treated very well. The health and safety of the dogs and puppies are the first priority at SwissRidge. The dogs are all groomed, exercised, and loved on a regular basis. I have watched the business grow over the years and management is still very hands-on making sure the dogs, staff, and clients are all happy. I can’t imagine not being a part of the SwissRidge community!
Pristine place to work
Kennel Assistant (Current Employee) –  Schomberg, ON5 December 2019
I have been working at SR Kennels since January 2016. The kennel is a great place to work for people who love dogs or are looking to gain experience caring for dogs. The health and safety of the dogs at the kennel is the main priority.

There are many protocols in place to ensure that all the dogs are happy, healthy and get the most high standards of care. The pens get cleaned twice a day and are regularly disinfected. There is staff at the kennel 15 hours of the day cleaning pens and giving basic care to the dogs. A full time groomer on staff keeping the dogs clean and beautiful 5 days of the week.

There is an exercise shift to swim, play with the dogs and walk the dogs on trails behind the kennel to ensure the dogs are getting the exercise they need. There is also a dog trainer on staff, training the dogs and giving them the mental stimulation that they need as well learning manners and commands, which makes the dogs very easy to work with.
The schedule is given a month in advance, so you can plan around when you are supposed to work. Working at the kennel you will learn so much about caring for dogs and other animals. The wealth of information you will learn from this job is unlike any other job I have worked. The owner and staff are very friendly and easy to work with making it an enjoyable place to work.

When you begin the job you have a month of training to ensure you are ready to be working on your own and that you have learned all the necessary things to succeed the daily tasks in a timely manner.

There are a couple things that are a downside to working
  more... with animals. Animals do not take weekends or holidays off, therefore we need to work weekends and holidays to make sure we are here to take care of them. Secondly, the nights can be late. Time management is a huge part of this job and you need to make sure all the dogs are fed, watered, let out, cared for and that the kennel is clean and tidy before you leave at night.

Overall, I really enjoy working at the kennel and getting to love and care for dogs everyday.
Childish Work Environment
Kennel Attendant (Former Employee) –  Schomberg, ON2 September 2019
Cleaning kennels in a timely manner is the main priority however the dogs are taken care of.
Really felt that the dogs in the kennel got very little to no attention during the day unless they were one of the attendants “favourites” :(
Some employees were very childish and “clicky” made for uncomfortable situations for newer employees.
Very exiting workplace full of friendly staff
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Schomberg, ON11 October 2018
I enjoyed the overall time I spent volunteering, a typical day would start off with me feeding the dogs and then cleaning the kennels, Afterwards I would sweep the floors, wipe the counters, do the dishes and laundry and then walk the dogs. I learned a lot about sanitary conditions and proper care for dogs. The hardest part of the job was trying to get as much cleaning done as possible in a short amount of time. But the most enjoyable part was being able to bond with the dogs and co workers.
Pros
Variety of work
Extensive Yet the Most Rewarding Job Ever
Puppy Trainer (Former Employee) –  Schomberg, ON19 July 2018
SR Kennels is a doodle breeder from Schomberg. She offers people who adopt her pups the option to have them trained before taking them home and that's where I came in.

I brought home 2 puppies to train for 2 months. I had specific guidelines to follow and dates to be done by. I had to make sure they were given their shots and I had to make sure they were in good health and stayed that way. What a lot of people don't know is that a puppy prior to their 4th month shot is susceptible to so many illnesses and therefore should not be walked in busy areas, cannot go to dog parks and need to be watched 24/7 to make sure they do not lick or eat anything (or step in something they may lick off later).

My days consisted of a strict routine starting at 6am and for the first month, waking up at 2am for potty breaks. Every moment was spent making sure they were learning good habits and socializing with acceptable dogs, in a proper, well behaved manner. I had to properly help them deal with their fears of different objects and loud noises and I had to make sure everything I said and did would not negatively influence the pups in the slightest of ways. I had to be on time with commands and on time with rewards. This job took much consistency and though it was tough at times, seeing the out come of all the hard work, is worth every moment.
Pros
Work from Home, Routine, Full of Smiles and Laughs
Cons
There's no End. The job is 24/7 with a living being. You don't get much alone/quiet time.
Great Job Poor Management
Kennel Attendant (Former Employee) –  Schomberg, ON21 May 2017
I loved working here with the dogs and my co-workers. The problem is the management is terrible and they don't want to fix it. If you work a night shift, there is still potential for you to work the next morning which is ridiculous. Plus you can't call in sick because nobody will go in for you which includes the manager wont help.
Pros
amazing dogs that love people
Cons
you're on-call 24/7/365
Loved working with the dogs at the kennel
Kennel Attendant (Current Employee) –  Schomberg, ON19 January 2017
The work day went by quickly since you're almost always busy.

The dogs are well trained and easy to handle.

The facility is great and clean.
Pros
Get to play with dogs!
Cons
Long night shift