Swiss Chalet Employee Reviews

As a server I looked after the guest as they entered my section I was assighned for the day.
Server/Hostess (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB16 November 2018
Started the day off with a smile as well groomed with a clean uniform. Servered the guest with my best ability, clean up tables as they became availabel and ran food orders, put orders through the computer and always made my guest feel very welcome.
Horrible management and doesn’t follow labour laws
Back of house and cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa West, ON13 November 2018
Wouldn’t recommend anyone to work for cara at a swisschalet. The management is poor they look down onto their staff and bully them. There is no chance in getting a raise , no respect for their employees and also they don’t follow labour laws.
Pros
Cons
Doesn’t follow labour laws, horrible management, no chance for a raise
Very Good people
Cook (Former Employee) –  St. Clair, ON10 November 2018
The managers were really nice to me and co-workers were the best.
The managers knew how to manage the store and taught me how to manage the stock. One of the hardest part of the job was that we had lack of employees in the kitchen to cover the busy shift.
great
Hostess and Drive Thru Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 November 2018
Worked here during highschool, it was a okay I had fun and they were very considerate of my needing to study for finals. would go back and work there again if i was asked to be honest
good
Cons
not not good
bad management, high staff turnover
Take Out, Drive-through (Former Employee) –  Cobourg, ON7 November 2018
i only worked at this job for a month, left when the manager told me i had to choose between that job and my other job.
was constantly yelled at by the manager, often where customers could see or hear, always where other staff could. i admittedly made a lot of mistakes- this was because i was still new, everyone i was working with was new, i was training new employees after only 2 shifts, and we were often overwhelmed (i don't mind a fast-paced job but i was inadequately trained and definitely under-qualified to have already been training new employees).
why was there so many new hires? so many people were leaving! because the management was so bad.
i didn't get paid until weeks late.
often dealt with extremely irate customers because the crispy chicken promotion that was happening at the time took forever to make (honestly, swiss chalet shouldn't even have a drive through- it's not fast food, your order might take 4 minutes or 40 minutes).
for the most part, the rest of the staff besides management was very nice and helpful, although almost everyone hated working there.
the boss also constantly criticized my boss at my other job even though i frequently told her that i wasn't directly employed by the people she thought i was. either way- pretty unprofessional.
would not recommend unless there is new management since summer 2017
the restaurant business
Line Cook/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  540 Montreal Rd Ottawa, ON5 November 2018
Great workplace. Management was very responsive and helpful. Throughout the years of working at Swiss Chalet, I've leaned and honed my skills in work fast paced, under pressure/stress, how to lead as well as work with a team and how to work/treat customers in a restaurant.
Pros
working in a healthy and satisfying relationship with peers, food and customers
Cons
may have to pick up work loads from others
Was not employed long enough to give a proper review.
Preparation / Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON5 November 2018
Started with great a management team and hard working co-workers, but had to depart due to lifestyle changes. Overall position within this restaurant is a great way to familiarize yourself with kitchen operations if this is a desired future career field.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Unfriendly customer demands at times.
Always running with the food cost
Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB1 November 2018
Fun to work. Good environment and it’s fresh all the time. Need to keep time of the food process. As a kitchen manager need to keep eye on chicken and chicken temperature. Less cost more profit.
Pros
Mostly half price meals
Customer Service setting
Part time employee (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON1 November 2018
Good starter job if you are still in high school, graduated or need to make some extra cash on the side. Not the most secure job as there is a busy season and not so much of busy season.
Really bad hours
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON27 October 2018
It's An okay place to work but when i started i was never trained,never given a uniform and never got paystubs. The co workers are good for the most part but waitresses will make you wanna quit they are so extremely rude and give you no respect. The hours you work are never consistent and you will work till 2am and then start at 12pm the next day and never got off at your punch out time
Pros
Cons
You pay for your own lunch, They never let you go for breaks, you stay way later then your supposed to
Good experience for a first job
Takeout Server (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 October 2018
The food industry is an experience everyone should try out. It teaches you to work in a fast pace environment and allows you to improve your customer service and quick thinking skills.
Pros
Fun people to work with and discounts on food
Cons
good
Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON23 October 2018
I had a great time learning and working in a fast-paced environment with hard working, friendly people.

I had the opportunity to fulfill customers needs and that gave me a feeling of gratitude and fulfillment.
Busy busy busy
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 October 2018
There is never a moment in this restaurant that you do not have anything to do. Which i will not complain, because i like to be busy. The food is awesome in my opinion. Staff gets a free meal and drink once working.
Pros
Free Food, Always busy
buckets
bilingual customer service representative (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON21 October 2018
they all smoke cigarettes and smell like cabbage and danforth. Place is super depressing and makes you want to go on indeed during your breaks. Buckets and beans unite here
Pros
discount on food
Cons
buckets
Terrible management, easy job, good for some experience
Take-out (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK 2615 Gordon Road18 October 2018
Simply taking orders on the p.o.s system and with the printed bill call out the order and package the food into containers and taking it out to guests.

4 years of restaurant experience in multiple fields, such as: dishwasher, line-cook, prep-cook, and some areas of management.

Management was terrible so i quit, shortly after the business closed and was up for lease.
Pros
Easy, fun to do
Cons
Terrible management
Friendly
Cook 1 (Former Employee) –  London, ON17 October 2018
I experieced to this company that i worked for, is the happiness because if you are not happy to the job place that you working for. You are going to get tired of.
Productive Working Environment
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ON15 October 2018

Awful job
Line Cook/Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON15 October 2018
Although the employes are nice but the managers are crazy rude they will yell at you to do something you are not trained for. You will work as hard as you can and the mangers will not care but if you stop for 10 seconds they will yell at you. Honestly awful place to work would not suggest it. They overwork dishwasher while other people do nothing, you will be okay if you are not dishwasher... Mostly
Pros
Free pop drinkS
Cons
Everything else
hard working staff and managment
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 October 2018
the work environment at swisschalet was very open and helpful, they guided me and helped me when i was struggling when I first started there. Although the management was friendly and open, they were very unorganized with their payments and shifts.
Pros
nice environment
Cons
unorganized
Good work environment
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 October 2018
Good work environment with many things to learn and the possibility to grow. I would recommend this job to young people interested in the food industry.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Swiss Chalet. Our community is ready to answer.