Swiss Chalet Employee Reviews

It feels like a family!
Takeout/Drive Thru Cashier (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS18 June 2018
I learned a lot about myself at Swiss Chalet, I learned the basics to food safety and prep but I also learned that working in the restaurant business can be really hard. This job is really rewarding if you let it. A typical day at work can very from either being very busy to maybe having a couple hundred orders through takeout. I was cross trained and pantry was by far one of the hardest parts I have ever experienced. I personally did not like pantry because I would open pantry and do all the prep for the day and then I would close pantry: using everything I just made for the day. It was a long day in my books. If you have a good team, this would not be an issue for anyone. This was a great first job for me!
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
always understaffed
Awful work place
Take-out Cashier (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ON18 June 2018
Awful place to work, employees are definetly not treated properly, the pays are horrible no matter how many hours you work they rip you off and under pay you every pay week. The management is horrid, once threw out freezer burnt ice cream and was forced to pick it out of the garbage bag and serve it because it was a waste of food, half the food has been dropped on the floor and put back to be served to customers. Workers and management sell and bring in all sorts of drugs, once a manager had made pot cookies and put a tray out on the table where food goes for workers to eat during their shifts.
Pros
Coworkers are friendly
Cons
Management/owners, pays, food fallen and reused
Server Life
Server (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MB14 June 2018
I love serving in a fast set place.I learned that making people happy and being outgoing and curtious can change your day around and yours I love making customers feel welcome at their stay and feeling they can always come back. A warm smile is the key to a very warm welcoming. The hardest part of this job is making things right at a difficult time, some customers are sometime not satisfied and you must find anyway to make them happy and wanting to come back because you made it right! The most enjoyable part of my job is making people happy and enjoying their stay like it as was our very own dining room experience.We must always make the customer feel important and taken care of!
Pros
Tips, happy customers, food discounts, team effort!
Cons
not eatting on rushes, grumpy customers, slacking co workers
want too much for too little
Part-time dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ON12 June 2018
busy place, too busy for staff, full-time guys had to work split shifts, show up at 9 and work till 2, then catch some sleep in back rooms off the clock to come back on clock at 5 till close up. Killer place.
Productive, Fun working place
Cook (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 June 2018
. I worked for Swiss Chalet for 6 months and this is a very fund and energetic working environment. I work as a Cook and my daily task was prepare the food from raw materials, the staffs were helpful and they helped me a lot to complete the task.
Pros
Good boss
Cons
Work load
Was poorly managed and racist
Part-time employee (Former Employee) –  London, ON11 June 2018
Although I was relatively new the management was bad and everything was poorly organized. Also experienced racism and that was when I knew I had to leave.
Fun to work with others
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 June 2018
Swiss Chalet is a good first job to get experience to help you move on in life. It was a good experience for me.
I like the fast pace of the job, it was never a dull moment.
Pros
Free Food
Cons
Staff members
Degrading Environment
Food Prep (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON28 May 2018
Days at work started out working on line, making food for customers, then I was later pushed into the back to do prep because they werent willing to train me any longer on the line. Unsafe working conditions with the 400 degree ovens, pulling scalding metal out of the ovens with 2 cloths stacked together.
Usually a casual job. Not very manageable during holiday season.
Drive-thru Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 May 2018
The job itself is very easy, but you have a lot of responsibility. You have to manage drive-thru, pick-up, and delivery orders. At times, you are the only cashier working the drive-thru for 6 hours. Management and supervisors don't have the same standards (i.e. you need to ask for breaks, otherwise some will forget to give you one).
Typical swiss
Server (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON23 May 2018
No complaints. I’ve worked at a few Swiss chalets and they are all pretty much the same. They are kinda weird with their discounting food a little stingy and so many rules about it but a good atmosphere overall
Pros
Discounts on food
Cons
Some weird employees
Good starter job
Dishwasher/Kitchen Helper (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK22 May 2018
Not very good to work for long, pays $15/hour which is ok for starter wage but the environment is not very good//dont clean up as good as they should.
Pros
Multicultural, good starting wage for young teena
Cons
Not enough hours, dirty, very sweaty environment.
Tight knit team
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 May 2018
Great work environment that was tight knit, almost like a family, that pushed every individual to the limits on most nights to ensure that service was provided to guests in the best way possible.
Part time
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Cobourg, ON18 May 2018
The hours were late for me. It was my first job and I would be there to late for a student. Also the scheduling was weird. I would be scheduled til 12 am but not leaving til 1am.
Work environment
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BC16 May 2018
Great place to work and a great place to eat. The Management team is welcoming and supportive with open communication being present in the work place.
Consistent work, easy going work crew
Dish Washer (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON15 May 2018
This job for me was pretty consistent though very fast paced, though the people especially most of the managers were easy going and motivational.

There is not to much to say about this job other then it was simple, it paid consistently and the work environment itself was inviting.
Pros
Consistent work/pay, friendly fellow employees
Cons
Aside from one manager I didn't care for no real problems
Great experience
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Ancaster, ON15 May 2018
Worked with a lot of great people and met a lot of friends. Excellent organization and amazing cooperation. Learned a lot from here and very happy to experience it all.
Typical restaurant job
SERVER (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON14 May 2018
Good stepping stool towards something greater. Made many friends, had many laughs. Stressful at times. Not something I would want to do forever, but I can appreciate the people that do.
Pros
The People, the food
Cons
No Life
Not a bad place to work
Server (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON8 May 2018
I enjoyed working a Swiss Chalet on Dundas in Cambridge. Although, the hours were limited and the tips weren't the best. Unfortunately, this location doesn't get as much business but the people you work with make it great!
Pros
The employees are great
Cons
Tips are not great
Lovely staff to work with
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON7 May 2018
Although there is only three hours in one shift, there is never a dull moment at Swiss Chalet. The staff is amazing and so friendly. Such an awesome Job.
Pros
Free drinks
Cons
Not enough hours
Bad place to work
Dishwasher/ Food Prep (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON7 May 2018
They treat their employees horribly. The hours are horrible. You're expected to do more than your job. The management is a joke. The restaurant has no cleanliness standards

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Swiss Chalet. Our community is ready to answer.