Swimco

Swimco Employee Reviews

Canada19 reviews
Fun, Intense, Very Competitive sales environment, slack with hours
-A typical day at work includes taking turns helping customers, fixing messy racks, and when its slow which is a lot management likes reading books, checking facebook, and looking up the latest Just Fab box.
-When its busy they take turns helping customers and getting them into the fitting room.

-Management is unprofessional but means well.

-The hardest part of the job is the drama and judgment lol omg.

-Helping lots of really nice people and making some friends.
Pros
Great place to shop
Okay at first
Things started out alright. They have a commission system but if you don't make it, there isn't really any negative consequences....you just get more coaching.

But you usually have 4 superiors so you get the same coaching from all four ( think Office Space ) The managers are VERY gossipy and Very cliquey.

I did really enjoy the job at first but as I got to know everyone, it became one of my most disliked jobs.

I would only recommend if you are going part time and you have an extremely outgoing personality.
Pros
One free bathing suit every year you work there.
Cons
Absolutely no respect from management.
Ok place to work
Rewarding customer interactions! Good quality product. Company Communication needs much improvement. If you like competitive pressured sales environment that is not commissioned, this could be the place for you.
Fun place to work with a great team!
I worked for swimco for about 6 years, if not a little more, and I loved the environment. The management was easy to get along with and very understanding. Sales were encouraged but I never felt like I was being forced. The management and HO themselves treat all employees fantastic! Highly recommend to apply if you get the chance.
Fun culture with care and concern for their customers and staff
We get to help customers (mostly women) feel excited about their purchase. They usually come into the store with zero confidence and buying a swimsuit is a horrible experience for them. If I can make their day to the level that they love what they are wearing and how their body feels in it - then I have done by job!! Although it can seem like the managers want you to push sales (i read other reviews) the point is that IF you care about who you are serving and you like to help people feel good then Swimco IS the place to work. Sales come easy when you care! I love what this company represents to women! Fantastic!
Relaxed work culture
This place really helps prepare you/ helps you grow in guest service. Still stressful for their goals and the loss of communication between head office and store level. I would recommend
Stay Far Away!
This is the worst retail company to work for. Nit picky. Management is lazy. Management comes and goes as they please while you are stuck working. Says this is how things are supposed to be done and then they do whatever they want and get you in trouble for a little slip even once. They have 2 store managers and they both say something different and they both get you in trouble for what the other one says to do.
Swimco
I worked at Swimco in the head office for 3 years until I moved away. If I could have, I would have committed in order to stay working. The whole office has a family oriented feel and everyone works together in all departments to help the stores and office run smoothly.
Messy Management
This store by far had the worst morale I'd ever seen in a retail establishment. The management is extremely neurotic and controlling, right down to how you fold a receipt. Management assures you in the start that they are very collaborative and understanding, but then can't count how many hours you'd like in a week . Oh, and everyone gets different wages for the same work.
Pushy sales tactics.
The customer service that is required is way too much for the amount you’re getting paid. It’s extremely pushy and forces you to fake it through the day. Management easily picks favourites and maintains a very hypocritical standpoint on pretty much everything. Most staff are uncomfortable working with managment directly as there’s no chance to take a moment to breathe, you must maintain constant conversation with a customer whether they like it or not. Booking time off is challenging with the black out period being 90% of the year, kiss your summer/Christmas plans goodbye.
Pros
Not the worst co-workers in the world.
Cons
Terrible scheduling & selling tactics.
Over obsessive sales company
This have been the most demanding retail job, the level of pushy you have to be is next level. Nobody likes an annoying nosey sales person.
You’re expected to achieve so much yet you have a weak wage and very weak hours.

Customers don’t want to have someone breathing down their neck constantly and this job requires you to be at their hip.

Very uncomfortable place to work.

Poor management.
Pros
Easy book offs, nice coworkers.
Cons
Everything else.
Great family environment and an amazing company to work for. Provide tons of training and encouragement, a lot of room for advancement. Fun opportunities, opportunities to earn extra money in a no pressure environment (not commission).
Family run company that treats employees as family
Swimco was the best company that I have ever worked for. I started at entry level and received proper training and coaching. My natural customer service skills and sales ability were encouraged and coached in a positive and energetic work environment. My ability to get along with all staff members and my ability to lead on the sales floor was recognized and within 3 months I was offered a position to manage the store. The CEO deemed me the fastest growing person of the company, it has been my greatest accomplishment to date.
Pros
Proactive CEO and district manager at store level
Inadequate
Management is horrible, they definetly pick favourites. Company itself lacks diversity and also poor communication. Management tends to micro manage and also has zero respect for one another, will back stab one another to be favoured by higher management.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Not a great place to work
Pros:
Other employees are wonderful and make the job very fun. Pay is pretty good for retail and they do have ways to get bonuses.

Cons:

Mangers can be quite rude.

They often will make you work overtime, a number of days in a row with no break in between days and then the week after you could have one shift, it is not consistent hours.

Horrible system for being promoted, they pick favourites and then treat everyone else like they are nothing.

This company ruined my state of mental health and I will not recommend it to anyone.

DO NOT WORK HERE.
The most demanding retail job
This company demands you work hard for them, but they refuse to pay you well or say thank you. Raises are never given, and they make pay "confidential" so you're not allowed to discuss with co workers how unfair this place treats you. They have lots of blackout times when you are not allowed to even book one day off, and its stupid. Spring break, most of summer and Christmas when most people want to go to music festivals or see there family, they are not allowed, I tried to book one day off for my grandmas birthday and it was declined, pathetic.
Cons
Terrible scheduling, poor pay, poor management, thankless company
Too much work for retail
This job is so demanding. They are extremely pushy for sales and the hours of work are not that great. Co- workers are okay, Managers are not the nicest people. They do make you work hard which is good, but sometimes its too much.
Positive Work Environment
Rewarding place to work with good, fun employees. Favorites are often chosen by management and scheduling isn't the best.
Pros
employees are fun and easy to get along with
Cons
poor scheduling
A great company to work for.
As a Sales Associate, my main duties included: customer service, cashier responsibilities, opening and closing the store, stocking products, reviewing products for the company. I enjoyed the one on one experience of helping customers directly.