Suzy Shier Employee Reviews

Productive workplace
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK8 May 2018
Wonderful management
customers can be rude
the mall can be very boring at times
i love my staff
there are not enough hours sometimes
my manager is the best
Great place to work, really enjoyed my time there.
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Gander, NL2 May 2018
I really enjoyed my time there and learned lots of social skills working there. the management was good for the most part of my two years working there. the only thing that lacked was the hours. starting off was fine but recently they have no hours to give their employees.
Idk
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON1 May 2018
Suzy Shier is the only retail place I've ever heard of that only allows members of management to ring merchandise through the tills. It makes for a very frustrating evening rush when only one person can access the tills, leaving only one person to help customers on the floor.
Fun place, good to build a career quickly!
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  British Columbia19 April 2018
I loved to work at Suzy as Team Leader! I worked there for about a year, I have good colleagues which balance the weak management... since I was there I changed manager so many times (bad part)... also the pay should be reviewed. I could stay much more time if they raised and recognized more my job I loved the enviroment...it could motivate others co-workers too.
Pros
Enviroment, work as a team!!
Cons
Management, low wage
fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Prince Albert, SK17 April 2018
I learned how to be a sales associate
the hardest part of the job was the long day shifts
the most enjoyable part of the job was seeing people smile as they left the store
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 April 2018
Its a good clothing store. Came in to work and I normally help customers out and work the register but that was pretty much the things that I did while I was working there
Productive and fun, but a lot of drama
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Québec City, QC3 April 2018
Suzy Shier is a fun place to work, there is no stress and the employees are really fun. The only thing is that since we are only girls who work there there is a lot of drama and it is sometimes difficult to deal with.
Pros
No stress
Cons
The drama
Corporate was the wosrt
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Nova Scotia3 April 2018
One example of how cheap corporate is... we won a pizza party for having the most sales throughout Canada.... they gave us 20 dollars... FOR 8 PEOPLE!
Pros
The lovely ladies I worked with
Cons
The company as a whole.
Working for this company showed me what i was capable of doing.
Visual and Inventory Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 March 2018
This was my first retail job and it gave me a sense what I wanted to do in life. There was lots of wonderful women around me who believed in me and gave me job opportunity's to move up quite soon from a sales associate. I was then responsible for one store in Edmontons visual branding standards and inventory. After my store was immaculate and the increasing numbers were consistent, allocations fine tuned, I was offered as help at the other Edmonton stores. As visual support of planograms, to implement a markdown to drive sales that week. Whatever it was, I was happy to go to the store and leave it set for success and the employees feeling empowered. I knew I was a true brand ambassador and it was so important to me that everyone felt my passion from store visits and ran with the insight and fresh eyes I could give.

I soon found out I was waking up and going to my dream job everyday, making the fire grow. Thinking about store floor plans morning, afternoon, nighttime. It was so rewarding to feel like I wasn't working everyday and to make such a big impact in stores and employee growth. Merchandising just made sense to me. I could do it while helping people personal shop, or making small talk. I just became a retail fairy in my given environment and it was liberating! Even customers gave me confidence in their feedback to me personally and what I was doing around them.

Eventually I was being flown to head office in Toronto to work with the true eyes and passion of their visual team once or twice a year during launch season. So I could implement here in Edmonton and higher
  more... volume stores in western Canada. I felt so honored, it still brings tears to my eyes. It is so important for companies to recognize there are very special people who care so much about what they do. Suzy Shier is a company that invests in its people. There are many gems who have been hard rocks for many years within the company simply because of the good culture! Thanks Suzy.

This was the start of my merchandising career!
fun workplace
Part Time Key Holder and Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON8 March 2018
I love the atmosphere when you walk into the store, very outgoing, positive co-workers.
Management is great, if you are a university student looking for hours, they will try and comply as many hours for you.

Want to know more about Suzy Shier?

Ask a question
Loved it!
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON26 February 2018
Loved working for this company! Only fall was that the pay wasn't great, but everything else made up for it. All of the employees were amazing to work with and I definitely loved the merchandise!
good place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bedford, NS12 February 2018
Overall good place to work,room for advancement.
Enjoyable experience working with the public.
Good management team and a well run store.
Employee discount could be better.
Horrible
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON7 February 2018
Horrible place to work. Key holders that had worked here for years never got a raise. Improper training given. On my first day here no one even told me where specific sections were or even what the sale that day was. Manager and staff that had been there for years constantly talked bad about one another sales techniques and training techniques. Store is going down hill having horrible sales every night, pushing a membership program that made no sense.

All in all a horrible experience. The Manager was constantly taking days off/
Cons
Long hours, Unpaid mandatory hour long breaks, Horrible Manager
Great upper management but no advancement out of retail sector
Visual Merchandiser/ Inventory Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 January 2018
It was fun, but the money wasn't worth the work. As a manager I was over worked and felt guilty about working my staff as hard as I did knowing there wage barley covered the coffee cost they consumed in the week.
Pros
Discounts to various stores
Cons
Long hours, low pay, low advancement, training lacking
Satisfactory
Part Time Key Holder (Former Employee) –  London, ON16 January 2018
Suzy Shier was a good place to work for when you want part time. If you were management it was not competitive salary, not flexible in their scheduling.
Productive and fun workplace
Part Time Sales (Former Employee) –  Vernon, BC14 January 2018
I absolutely loved working for Suzy Shier. The girls are so much fun to work with, you get all of your work done for the day but it doesn't feel overwhelming. You can laugh and enjoy your day while getting work done, and of course the ladies that come into Suzy are always fun to help.
Poor management skills but amazing coworkers
Sales Associate/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC5 January 2018
Management could use some upgrading, but the people are quite nice. The store manager is prone to changing the schedule and not warning you about it. Also has a tendency to call you in last minute to cover a shift.
Pros
Good wage and nice people
Cons
Changing of schedule at random
cool
Associée aux ventes (Current Employee) –  Place-Versailles, QC29 December 2017
cool comme univers de travaille mais pas assez d'heure
So much fun
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON28 December 2017
Depending on the location you work at, you have a lot of fun. I happen to work at the best location of all, and everyone I work with became family. You learn so much
Pros
Always something to do
Cons
Less pay
awful company
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 December 2017
*** DO NOT WORK HERE ***

nothing about this company is positive.
As much as they strive on believing in a work life balance, there is none. You are constantly on call and are expected to work insane amount of hours when there is no coverage.

Turnover with part time associates is extremely high, due to low wages and very minimal hours allowed to give.
This also causes the workload to be way too much for management to handle.

Upper management gives no support to stores that are not high volume. You are expected to make your own decisions and then when corporate comes in they get mad and expect you to change it all back.

Way too much communication given out about simple tasks making it confusing to understand what their vision is.

Strive to have amazing customer service, however they give the store close to no hours to even think about having enough staff on, which results in one person having to deal with all the tasks to do while still trying to balance all the customers in the store.

Mystery shops are an absolute joke. They set such high expectations, but with no hours and only one person on at a time, you automatically fail because your attention is not directly on this mystery shopper, instead it's on all the other customers in the store as well as all the tasks that need to be completed.

upper management threatens to take bonus away from you if certain job requirements are not met. Even after working like crazy to make sure sales are met and visual is up to date.

Visual is also an absolute mess, you are expected to launch up to about 4 new collections
  more... every month. sounds like an easy task but with the lack of communication between departments, it is an impossible task. shipments don't arrive on time, collections do not arrive together and you have about a day to get everything opened and fully launched.

There is no room for advancement, even if you are told you will be moved up, expect it not to happen. This company strives on empty promises.

Sales goals are impossible to meet, especially when you are in a low volume store and in a mall with ZERO traffic.

Corporate, for the most part, all began their careers at store level but seemed to have all forgotten how it works, instead they set unrealistic expectations for all to follow.

if you work for this company expect to be lied to right off the bat. you will only be told what you want to hear so you would be interested in the job. expect there to be no respect from corporate, expect low wages and zero compensation. and also expect you to be looked over when it is time for a promotion. This company would rather stress and higher external associates instead of invest in their current employees.

Seriously think twice before applying here.
Pros
Cons
everything