Surplus Furniture & Mattress Warehouse Employee Reviews

Management could use some improvement
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON4 December 2018
most people were ok to work with, not much else to say. The management and how staff were treated could use improvement at the time I worked there. ...
Pros
na
Cons
na
Company needs to change the way they do things
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON4 December 2018
The company has a ton of potential but is extremely micro managed. Unfortunately, there is a lot of negativity within the company. With a few changes, the company could turn things around
Pros
Fun environment
Cons
Micro managed, negative environment, terrible culture
Negitive workplace
Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON8 November 2018
Cons-
Managment is terrible
Expect big truck loads (majority of the time) with really no workspace
Not safety orientated (poor managment)
Not well informed of inbound truck shipments
Huge turnover rate

Pros-
Okay pay depending on what they offer you
Keeps you fit

Overall not the best place to work
Prince Albert
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Prince Albert, SK12 October 2018
Working here is awesome I enjoy being with my coworkers, I like the hours I work, I like being able to meet all different types of people who are our customers.
Pros
Good coworkers
Great boss
Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB14 September 2018
• Insured shipment orders were correct
• Scheduled importing and exporting of goods
• Handled the loading and unloading of products off freight trucks
• Assisted customers with the step by step product assembly
Pros
Very Active work place
Cons
Low wage
Cool place to work bad training and BAD manager
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON6 August 2018
The manager should be very happy that he has 3 employee's that are understanding. After the Manager acted like a 3 year old for the whole first month of me being there i decided that I did not need to waste my time or mental sanity dealing with the Manager.

And i truly do think of myself as a positive, upbeat, outgoing person to work with.

as i said to my co-workers as i was leaving, everyone has there own level of bull*** to deal and at the end of the day i was not willing to.
Pros
Friendly co-workers
Cons
Very poor training
A good place to work!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 July 2018
Surplus is the place you want to be if you want to become a successful salesman. We are provided with the proper training and we continue to learn to have the best tools to excel in our job. There's no perfect company as we all strive to become one. There will always be the normal pros and cons working here but it is up to the person how he/she can handle this. As the saying goes, many are called but few are chosen and I can proudly say that I'm part of the chosen few.
Pros
unlimited earnings
Cons
working on weekends but can be arranged if needed
great place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB24 July 2018
Surplus furniture is a very well mannered and organized company. Very family orientated and will help out their employees no matter what. They have a sales plan in pace that is very successful and has PROVEN over the years to be very successful and efficient. They would not be where they are now without it. I have had other sales jobs and they don't even come close to comparing to Surplus Furniture. We all work together and are greet people and treat them respect but also have fun to make their buying experience one of a kind, relaxed, and fun. Management are always willing to help customers no matter the situation. If you are interested in sales or have sales experience, this is the job for you.
Pros
unlimited earning potential
Cons
Absolutely atrocious place to work!
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 July 2018
There is literally a script that you are supposed to run on every customer, essentially surplus treats the customers like cattle. People who are just looking have to be turned over to another sales rep which most customers find annoying. Sales reps will constantly talk bad about customers behind their backs. If you respect customers and don't want to treat them like they are mindless idiots, surplus is not for you. This is an atypical sales environment.

Roleplaying is done constantly to the point at which people goof off because it no longer serves any point. Roleplaying is monitored on camera to make sure employees are doing it.

Surplus is a stunning example of a workplace where someone tells you to do something one way, then someone else tells you that way is wrong. Ultimately in the end you are blamed for doing it wrong. The company will literally make you pay for credit card fraud if you fail to check a customers ID. For example if someone purchases a sofa loveseat and bed for $2,148 and pays for it with a stolen credit card and you fail to check their ID properly the company will make you pay $2,148 out of your pocket.

Workplace favoritism is very much alive at surplus. A typical get your friend hired and bad talk other sales reps to management.

Surplus is built on an archaic sales program and supports antiquated ideologies.
Pros
Essentially none
Cons
Management, long hours, workplace favoritism, etc.
Fun with Great staff
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NS6 June 2018
My time at surplus furniture was a great experience, i learned lots and was giving the training required to succeed with the company. I do recommend it a first sales job
Pros
contest with the company
Cons

Want to know more about Surplus Furniture & Mattress Warehouse?

Ask a question
Overall stable and satisfying job that met expectations and more!
Marketing/Advertising (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON8 May 2018
- Great family work environment with so much to learn and achieve
- Involved in an array of projects, never boring
- Fast-paced and fun atmosphere
- Learning opportunities always available
- Management gives positive/helpful feedback and the opportunity to grow within the company
Pros
Stability, Rewarding, Satisfying, Challenging, Treated Fair
Cons
Sometimes long hours
Revolving door of employees, incredibly high turnover, terrible management
Sales (Former Employee) –  Ontario19 April 2018
This place can not hold most employees for longer than 4 months. The staff is completely unprofessional. All they do is lie to their costumers to make products seem like they are something they are not. This is not an ethical or honest sales environment.
Management will not admit it to the public but they discriminate applicants based on mental health, race and the structure of their resume.
Be prepared to work every weekend and put in almost 12 hour days during the week.
Pros
A lot of downtime, Easy
Cons
Micromanagement, long hours, unprofessional staff, bullying
Great pay, awful management
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON17 April 2018
Helped grand open the Surplus Furniture in Peterborough, Ontario as the Manager in Training with a fellow who I later found out had recently been let go as manager at the local Brick. Disrespects warehouse staff, lied to customers to make sales, perfect example of a greasy salesman for a manager, using every tactic to mislead people and make money.
Pros
Good payout if you are good at sales
Cons
Abysmal management
Official response from Surplus Furniture & Mattress Warehouse
6 June 2018

We disprove of our employees lying to any customer and this is simply not the way we would do business.

We do not tolerate any form of bullying or harassment on our teams.

Penny Pinching company with an outdated and often confusing sales program.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB16 April 2018
Often, at the expense of the sales rep, the companys' willingness to save a penny anywhere can has lead to situations unsafe for both staff and customers.
The sales program can come across as aggressive to clients entering the store - if just browsing a sales rep is mandated to PASS off the client to another rep immediately otherwise face company discipline.
Pros
commission
Cons
Negative Customer Service
Long hours/
Store Manager/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Owen Sound, ON14 April 2018
Expected to work extra long hours with no pay for overtime as well as work some statutory holidays with out stat pay nor day in lieu off You would work anywhere from 50 to 70 hours a week. High turnover of staff.
Pros
close to home
Not worth it
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON16 March 2018
-Long hours
-No work/home balance
-100% commission means you are a slave to the job
-No support from Management/upper management
-Not a positive work environment

Leaving was the best thing I've ever done. You can make a lot of money there, just be prepared to give up a lot of your life.
Pros
Higher than average income potential
Cons
Long hours, 100% commission, becoming a slave to your job in order to make money, everyone out for themselves work culture, employees are just numbers, cold atmosphere
A great environment with a great team
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB5 March 2018
a great environement with a good team. leaned a lot about the furniture business. Great Management with a lot of support. comissions were great when business was good.
Bad place to work.
Warehouse Worker slave. (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 February 2018
The manager sucks and treats you like a slave, surprised that they don't have whips to beat the staff with.
Worked 60 hours a week and get paid for 40, get called in on day off and told to be there or fired.
Pros
Great deals on stuff.
Cons
The work load.
Official response from Surplus Furniture & Mattress Warehouse
8 May 2018

We are confused with respect to this review as we do not have any locations currently in Toronto.

We treat all of our team members with respect and ensure that they are compensated for time worked.

Game Changer
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Charlottetown, PE25 February 2018
There are few companies that can provide the work/life balance that this one can, and even fewer that can provide that with such an uplifting and fun atmosphere. After trudging through mediocre electronic sales jobs with marginal returns on my investment of time, I discovered the opportunity with Surplus Furniture. This company has changed my life. They have rewarded me handsomely for my hard work, not only through compensation, but the advancement opportunities that have been opened to me along the way. I have been encouraged and guided every step of the way and now have the fortuitous opportunity to run my own store. From the training program to upper management, this company is a well oiled machine and I recommend it to anyone looking to make huge strides in their career, personally, and financially.
Pros
Compensation, Benefits, Advancement Opportunities.
Cons
None.
Unlimited earning potential
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK22 February 2018
A lot of money to be made. They probably have the best sales training program. I really like they pay structure. I have seen sales associate making 80 plus a year. They also have health benefits. A lot of advancement if you want to move to a different city.
Pros
Unlimited earning potential.
Cons
Hours can be long.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Surplus Furniture & Mattress Warehouse. Our community is ready to answer.