Surplus Furniture & Mattress Warehouse

Surplus Furniture & Mattress Warehouse Employee Reviews

Canada78 reviews
Great warehouse to gain experience but work can be slow
Job Advancement:
There are minimal opportunities for growth.

Warehouse --> warehouse manager (if available) or salesperson --> Manager in training (if available) --> Store manager (if available)

If people are moving out you will have the opportunity to occupy those positions but I believe there is a long list for those waiting to be DMs so unless you are a cut above the rest you will have to stick around for a long time.

Daily Work:

Work is often slow with barely any customers coming in however there are periods where work is non-stop and things are flying out of the building.

Regular warehouse duties include organizing the warehouse, labelling products, assisting with inventory, pulling and inspecting products, moving floor models, reporting damaged goods and parts needed for order.

You are expected to maintain the appearance of the store so sweeping, cleaning the bathrooms/mirrors/windows and wiping down furniture falls into warehouse person duties.

All trailers are unloaded by hand or using dollies (no forklifts) and depending on your location you may not have a dock so everything must be lowered to the ground and into the building.

Quality of Life

A smaller team size means you get to know your co-workers better and changing hours due to emergencies is easier to deal with.

Overall I would say this business is a great place to work at and gain warehouse experience. The wage does lag behind other similar jobs which is why you'll probably want to move into a bigger centre at some point.
Great money if you can sell.... horrific managers
I really liked working there I like going there every day as long as the manager wasn’t in or called he was the most unprofessional unqualified disrespectful degrading manager I’ve ever worked with he should not be allowed in the company and I’m sure you know who this is doesn’t take a rocket scientist...It’s a shame that you’re so shortsighted that you keep him and let all the good ones go your loss
Management breaks the same rules they expect you to follow
Their sales system is the worst. They don't have the product needed consistently to fill orders, and expect you take down deposits on certain things not even in inventory. Not to mention they expect you to follow their sales structure to the T, which isn't beneficial to anyone.
Pros
Co-workers despite the horrible review were the best.
Cons
Lack of structure vs. Too much structure.
Horrible place
60 hour work weeks (11 hour days) and very hard to make enough commission to get out of draw. Hard to book time off, expecially weekends. Please don't apply here. They are horrible. I am so thankful that I was able to quit.
Worst company ever
Terrible ownership
Underhanded upper management, will never back up their staff or quality of product

Poor product - unacceptable quality

Terrible customer service

Worst company to work for or buy from
One of the best sales job you can get
I feel i was very well compensated when i was working here. This is not an easy job. Be prepared to face preasure from the customers and management. But once you got their sales program and culture it will be definitely be easier. They are expanding which is good indicator that they are in good shape. Management is very supportive. Hours can be long and booking a vacatoon is a struggle. But over all if you are hungry for money this is the place to be.
Pros
Earning potential, advancement
Cons
Work life balance
Hardest part of the job
The hardest part was not being able to reach full potential due to the lack of opportunities available. The work environment was the best part of this job.
Not to good
The amount of work they had me do was not Werth the amount of money I was given over worked and underpaid or so it felt the people I worked with where ok a lot of bashing people behind there backs
Stressful. Thankless Job
Stressful job. Higher ups play favorites. Expected to work to exhaustion. Very negative management. Often coming down on you without ever offering training or solutions. No job security. Has no respect for long term employees. Basically treated like cattle. Expected to pounce on customers even when they tell you to leave them alone.
Pros
Employees are great
Cons
Long hours. No work/home life balance at all
They dont follow their own rules
Headline says it all. Favoritism, backdoor ways to cheat the system. Inexperienced management. High turnover. Poorly made stock. Expected to work way more hours.
You make your own pay check
I have been working for Surplusfurniture and Mattress warehouse for 8 years. Furniture sales was new to me. However after the company that I worked for for 10 years closed I had to try something new. Boy did I ever make the right decision! The rewards and benefits that we get here are truly amazing. We have 3 people in Saint John in the top 15 in the company.
Pros
Benfits bonuses
Competitive in a bad way
Unless you like stealing sales, throwing others under the bus, or unhealthy work environment where commission never really comes your way no matter how honest and hardworking you are, do not apply for this company. However if that sounds like you go ahead, but you still wont make it in this cutthroat upper management culture.
Not what they promise
Poorly run operation from head office as no idea what is going on in stores. They will promise you the moon but in reality you are looking at minimum wage pay with no hope at bonuses or hitting commission. Great staff at store level but again you will not be making anywhere close to what they promise. Stay away
Official response from Surplus Furniture & Mattress Warehouse
16 August 2019
Surplus Furniture is an industry leader in our compensation package, and pride ourselves on the quality product that we sell. The people make it in any company!
We have an average tenure in our business of 5 plus years to attest to the great people working in our company with positive attitudes and outlooks!
Terrible company to work for
Long hours no lunch or breaks, work in no air conditioning all summer store hitting 89 and still no relief. Upper management shady. Long hours with no way to hit your required tier for commission. Low traffic and repeat promotions.
Employee hotmine mot confidential so no way to be heard or report bad business practices. Abusive DM known to yell and shove employees. Head office turns a blind eye.

Not recommended if you have family or want a social life.

No job security will let employees go with no notice or . Zero tolerance for mistakes or low sales.

Salary starts at 32000 not 40000 as stated and its hourly with chance of commission once draw is covered min wage even for assistant manager.

Tell you it will take a few months to get management position once you prove numbers.

Shows true colors in their add when a company can lue about wage.
Pros
Cons
Company falsifies salary its min wage at 40 hours
positif
atmosphère agréable, contrat long et difficile, mais bonne aide
Surplus is a very wonderful place to keep the brain active
Surplus Furniture is one of the best companies I have ever worked for around the Globe.
A rare and very productive sales program.

Excellent mix of people from different international coloration working in unison constantly to achieve set goals.

Going to work daily in Winnipeg was like a daily visit to friends' circle.

The Manager's leadership skill was second to none.

In short surplus is not a work place but a sales Academy.

Highly recommended to starters and fresh immigrants.
Pros
Conmensurate Pay with effort.
Cons
Manageable work place politics.
Very productive workplace
The manager was a really supportive person, who could always explain and help with the work process. The environment was extremely friendly and I've gained a lot of sales experience during my work there.
Management sucks
The head office has no idea on what is happening at all there stores.
They need someone to go store to store and make sure they are doing what head office has asked

Also be a loud voice for head office on bad management of the company.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Stores are run badly
The management team at surplus is very inconsistent and in the time that I was there it became detrimental to my metal health to continue staying in that situation.
Pros
Great opportunity to make lots of money
Cons
Dramatic and tense almost all the time
The staff were team players.
Greet customers and determine what they are looking for today. Learned to improve my listening skills and apply management policies.The staff were all team players. The hardest part of the job was not having inventory and trying to get a deposit with a promised delivery date.The most enjoyable part of the job was getting returned and referred customers.
Pros
Good variety of furniture.
Cons
Not having inventory on advertised items.
Management could use some improvement
most people were ok to work with, not much else to say. The management and how staff were treated could use improvement at the time I worked there. ...
Pros
na
Cons
na
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Surplus Furniture & Mattress Warehouse. Our community is ready to answer.
2.8