Surplus Furniture & Mattress Warehouse Employee Reviews

Overall stable and satisfying job that met expectations and more!
Marketing/Advertising (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON8 May 2018
- Great family work environment with so much to learn and achieve
- Involved in an array of projects, never boring
- Fast-paced and fun atmosphere
- Learning opportunities always available
- Management gives positive/helpful feedback and the opportunity to grow within the company
Pros
Stability, Rewarding, Satisfying, Challenging, Treated Fair
Cons
Sometimes long hours
Revolving door of employees, incredibly high turnover, terrible management
Sales (Former Employee) –  Ontario19 April 2018
This place can not hold most employees for longer than 4 months. The staff is completely unprofessional. All they do is lie to their costumers to make products seem like they are something they are not. This is not an ethical or honest sales environment.
Management will not admit it to the public but they discriminate applicants based on mental health, race and the structure of their resume.
Be prepared to work every weekend and put in almost 12 hour days during the week.
Pros
A lot of downtime, Easy
Cons
Micromanagement, long hours, unprofessional staff, bullying
Great pay, awful management
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON17 April 2018
Helped grand open the Surplus Furniture in Peterborough, Ontario as the Manager in Training with a fellow who I later found out had recently been let go as manager at the local Brick. Disrespects warehouse staff, lied to customers to make sales, perfect example of a greasy salesman for a manager, using every tactic to mislead people and make money.
Pros
Good payout if you are good at sales
Cons
Abysmal management
Penny Pinching company with an outdated and often confusing sales program.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB16 April 2018
Often, at the expense of the sales rep, the companys' willingness to save a penny anywhere can has lead to situations unsafe for both staff and customers.
The sales program can come across as aggressive to clients entering the store - if just browsing a sales rep is mandated to PASS off the client to another rep immediately otherwise face company discipline.
Pros
commission
Cons
Negative Customer Service
Long hours/
Store Manager/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Owen Sound, ON14 April 2018
Expected to work extra long hours with no pay for overtime as well as work some statutory holidays with out stat pay nor day in lieu off You would work anywhere from 50 to 70 hours a week. High turnover of staff.
Pros
close to home
Not worth it
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON16 March 2018
-Long hours
-No work/home balance
-100% commission means you are a slave to the job
-No support from Management/upper management
-Not a positive work environment

Leaving was the best thing I've ever done. You can make a lot of money there, just be prepared to give up a lot of your life.
Pros
Higher than average income potential
Cons
Long hours, 100% commission, becoming a slave to your job in order to make money, everyone out for themselves work culture, employees are just numbers, cold atmosphere
Bad place to work.
Warehouse Worker slave. (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 February 2018
The manager sucks and treats you like a slave, surprised that they don't have whips to beat the staff with.
Worked 60 hours a week and get paid for 40, get called in on day off and told to be there or fired.
Pros
Great deals on stuff.
Cons
The work load.
8 May 2018

We are confused with respect to this review as we do not have any locations currently in Toronto.

We treat all of our team members with respect and ensure that they are compensated for time worked.

Game Changer
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Charlottetown, PE25 February 2018
There are few companies that can provide the work/life balance that this one can, and even fewer that can provide that with such an uplifting and fun atmosphere. After trudging through mediocre electronic sales jobs with marginal returns on my investment of time, I discovered the opportunity with Surplus Furniture. This company has changed my life. They have rewarded me handsomely for my hard work, not only through compensation, but the advancement opportunities that have been opened to me along the way. I have been encouraged and guided every step of the way and now have the fortuitous opportunity to run my own store. From the training program to upper management, this company is a well oiled machine and I recommend it to anyone looking to make huge strides in their career, personally, and financially.
Pros
Compensation, Benefits, Advancement Opportunities.
Cons
None.
Unlimited earning potential
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK22 February 2018
A lot of money to be made. They probably have the best sales training program. I really like they pay structure. I have seen sales associate making 80 plus a year. They also have health benefits. A lot of advancement if you want to move to a different city.
Pros
Unlimited earning potential.
Cons
Hours can be long.
Best job Iv'e had
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Sydney, NS22 February 2018
I started this job with very little sales experience but with the help of management and staff I am helping lead the sales floor in my store. Every day has new challenges and competitions which keeps everyone motivated and interested. I like the up beat environment, lots of ways to make more money and the team I work with daily.
Pros
clean work environment, great staff
Fun atmosphere with great pay & contests
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Sydney, NS22 February 2018
The great thing about choosing a career at Surplus Furniture is well there's lots! A typical day includes interacting with customers and helping them purchase their new furniture by showing them the many options we have available and the features and benefits our products offer. The day doesn't end when the customer leaves the store though. Keeping it clean and organized and keeping your layaway files up to date will give you more than enough to stay busy throughout the day. It's a great atmosphere, were having fun and a positive mental attitude will help you make a great income for yourself!
Speaking of which, a base pay + commission...what else is there to say about that!
The contests are great. Honestly I don't know how they do it - the last few - trips to Vegas, that's right I think 8 people won that one contest - trips to Florida, Toronto, cash giveaways, free pizza parties - there's something pretty well every month.

If your still not convinced, the opportunities for advancement are endless - anywhere from becoming the next assistant manager, manager or even district managers, the possibilities are endless.
Pros
income, contests, advancment, benefits
Very rewarding career opportunities
Manager (Current Employee) –  London, ON22 February 2018
If you are looking for a rewarding career, look no further. Surplus offers a great pay plan which rewards hard work and above average abilities. With multiple contests throughout the year all associates have the opportunity to cash in on some extra money and prizes! Full benefits package, and a fun high energy environment to work in. If advancement is important to you, it is yours for the taking. With a full expansion project on the go, opportunities for advancement are always popping up!
Pros
Great pay, great employees, no cap on total earnings!
Cons
Occasional long hours on your feet, Cooler temperatures in the winter, warmer temperatures in the summer
Fantastic place to work
Manager (Current Employee) –  Sydney, NS22 February 2018
There's no typical day at work here at Surplus Furniture - every day is a new one and a new challenge, never a dull moment. If you are looking for an exciting, motivating and rewarding career this is the place for you. Starting out I was hesitant this would turn into a career and I am currently 6 years in and management, so if you like sales send us a resume, you won't be sorry.
Pros
Salary
Cons
If you want to make a lot of money, you actually have to work.
Huge mess of a company
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Durham Region, ON21 February 2018
Everything from harassment to zero safety in the work place. Be ready to climb on couches and boxes if your in the warehouse or even a sales associate and be ready to work with broken ladders and equipment. Unrealistic goals along with very little help. Be ready to take blame for hire ups. :)
8 May 2018

Surplus Furniture has a very robust Health and Safety Program which also includes training for all team members on how to perform tasks safely.

We have in every store a Health and Safety Rep that does monthly inspections of the store environment as well as follow-up by the District Manager.

We take pride in having a safe and healthy environment free from injury and harassment.

Great Place to work as a sales associate!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB20 February 2018
Fun sales environment and great people. A job that isn't really a job.
I personally don't feel like its work when I go to work.

A person with little to no sales experience can succeed and make good money. A top sales person can write their own ticket on advancement with this company.

As a sales associate, if you enjoy talking to people and selling good quality furniture and mattresses, then this is the place for you. Even if you have no experience but like people, then you can succeed at this company.

If you want to be a manager of your own store, they have many opportunities throughout Canada. Success and advancement depends on you and you alone in any job or position.

Since coming to Surplus, my personal experience is if you want to be successful then work hard and the hard work will pay off. Only you can decide how far you go.
Pros
Work/ Life Balance and fun staff
Cons
Hitting sales targets-but that is part of being in sales
Excellent work place
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON12 February 2018
I work in the Barrie location and I have 0 complaints. I can honestly say I love my job. I find the management more than accommodating. Training was very extensive and they honestly want you to succeed. They are constantly trying to prepare us to move up in the company and there is money to be made as long as your driven. Be prepared to work every weekend but the weekends are the busiest so that's when you're going to make the most money. Its a fun atmosphere to work in. You start every month acknowledging how you are going to make yourself more money than last month. You make your own career at surplus if you're not driven to succeed you won't. But if you are they're there to encourage you every step of the way. Great company.
Pros
fun and positive work envoirment
terrible
Sales Associate/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  London, ON10 January 2018
If you care about quality, you should not shop or work here. Bottom barrel quality, presented as value. Dont fall for thsi trap. It is absolute garbage
Not the worst place I've worked
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  London, ON29 October 2017
Job advancement is not an easy thing here. Whatever position you get hired into is the position you stay. If you want to make the average 45k a year you have to work every weekend, be at a busy store, not a small location like Owen Sound, and work your butt off. Its a pretty fun relaxed environment but very difficult to make good money.
Pros
Fun environment
Cons
Long hours, every weekend, hard to make money
Left unsatisfied
Manager (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON24 October 2017
Worked 80+ hours, with little to no help from management. Was promised the moon and given a pink slip.
I would not recommend working for this company. When let go 1 week before my 3 month waiting period, I was promised all of my commissions however was never paid on them. I was also offered no reason for the dismissal.
This is a company who relies on front line staff but doesn’t treat them as valued employees. In fact, the hours were so long that it worked out to under $5/hr - you know, not getting paid fairly but working your —�— off.
Stay away from this company. In your choice for employment and in your choice for buying furniture.
Pros
I don’t work there anymore
Cons
Long hours, empty promises
5 January 2018

This is a commission based position of which we require all our people to understand their pay structure and how to maximize that pay structure.

We take great pride in ensuring that all our team members are treated fairly and are properly compensated; as such we pay and and all commissions owing when commission is earned.

We are sorry that things did not work out for you.

Great place to learn how to sell
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa East, ON23 October 2017
I worked at the time management was a mess. Sales associates struggled to hit goal because merchandise was never available. You work long hours. Delivery guys were great. I left when i couldn't keep up lying to customers.
Pros
Great location
Cons
Bad management, merchandise was almost never available
5 January 2018

We do not have a location in Ottawa East, thus we are confused as to this posting. All of our stores have an attached warehouse to ensure in stock of all our popular items.

We disprove of our employees lying to any customer and this is simply not the way we would do business.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Surplus Furniture & Mattress Warehouse. Our community is ready to answer.