Supreme Steel

Supreme Steel Employee Reviews

Overall was good

Union is bad, they not tell you information and they can not protect you. Some long term foremen working like old school. For the training and safety they're good.

Night shift crew was pretty good

My over-all experience from working at supreme steel was very mixed. The people I've worked with( Other welders/ fitters) were absolutely great .The night shift superintendent was fair and justifiable the line supervisors were not unfortunately. I felt the way they were trained wasn't sufficient and it seems like it's bringing down the morale of the crew, always reminding you that you could be replaced and don't really bring out the best in their crews or individuals like myself they need alot of work and growth. Day shift has alot of influence with assistance to the poor morale. Always on the night shift crews case. Crying and complaining about everything having unsafe work ethic and the use of modified tools would be found from their shift. if dayshift management doesn't like ya they will make sure you get fired.( in my defense, I think it was a safey card I wrote that pointed something out that was very unsafe that got the day shift line supervisor introuble after that it seems like he was on my case. Telling the night line supervisor to get rid of me.) they enjoy firing people especially in times like these. gross in my opinion. Even the hr's attitude to us employess seemed like we annoyed them. that reflects on office management attitude towards floor guys. Sorry to say but I will not recommend working here too much drama wow

Pros

Welders weld

Cons

Too much politic drama

Useless management

Was working as a yard equipment operator on night shift and had zero feedback or constructive criticism after being there only a month. You are treated as nothing but a heartbeat there. Extremely high employee turnover. Don’t attempt to be proactive in this job, management absolutely doesn’t like employees that think.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Management and an extreme lack of communication, you are just a body there and always replaceable at anytime

Worst place I've ever workeda

The main thing that led me to quitting is the low morale in the shop. I found that everyone talked bad about each other and as a new worker, people were very cold to me. Management was some of the worst I've encountered and honestly, I have no idea how this company is surviving. Job security was low. Stay far away!!!

cant say here

well i cant really talk about it , everyone has to be polite all day long even if things aren`t right . also the fact that no one really cares anyways ,only tries to be nice and put that typical nice face and politeness smile on

Progressively moving forward..

Communication, Consistency, Compassion, Trust , Innovation... are the company core values. Constantly trying to Innovate to be competitive in the fabrication industry.

Contract work

When ever the contract was to be resigned or re negotiations done almost every one was being let go except for 5 or 6 employees Stressful environment ITS NOT THE SAME COMPANY AS BEFORE, ITS RUN POORLY BY NEW MANAGEMENT LOTS OF BACKSTABBING

Gold Standard

A good work atmosphere exists at Supreme. The foremen are knowledgeable and organized. I can’t think of a better shop to learn a lot about fabrication, and welding. Also a lot of dedicated journeyman work there . No distracting radioes blasting music makes it a more enjoyable environment.

Less Stability but inpiring Group

I wanted to work more with this company but due to issues related to steel construction, they are closing their Vancouver operations and lay off employees including my self.

Really Enjoyed It

I worked in the maintenance department in Winnipeg. Met a lot of really nice people during my brief time here. It has a family atmosphere and safety and the well being of others is encouraged. I really liked the job and my co-workers but had to move on for a better paying opportunity. Supreme has benefits and a defined contribution pension. The only drawback for me was the pay was too low for a certified journeyman to continue working here. I miss many aspects of this job and wonder if I made the right choice in moving on.

Pros

Management/Coworkers/Family Atmosphere

Cons

Pay was okay but could be higher for tradesman.

Jobs at Supreme Steel

See more jobs

Productive and fast paced with great lunchroom

Morning until late afternoon, 40 hour work week; 4- 9 hour days and 1- 4 hours. Makes room for important non-work related business like doctors appointments to fit in without using vacation time. Supreme Steel is where I learned to paint so all I know about painting came from there. Running a business isn't an easy thing to do and managing one is challenging. Sometimes I wouldn't understand some decisions management would make but I would understand my part in the decision and do my duty. Its a union based company and is mandatory after 3 month probation period. Union meetings are held once a month. The hardest part of the job was loading trails of product to be shipped out. Its important to build a sturdy trailer because having steel falling off the trail while traveling at 90km/h is not a good thing. Making everything secure is very important. The most enjoyable part of the job for me would have to be applying the paint using the numeric pumps. Its take some adjusting and having the required parts but when everything is ready, its quite fun doing it and after to see that you have done a good job is a reward in itself. Now, painting isn't what Supreme Steel specializes in. They excel in building fabrication. It would be easier to apply for a welding position as there would be more demand.

The company had many politics at the time

Supreme was a great company to work for at the start,but as time went by things had changed. I would say because of the economy they had to restructure the business and needed to drop the wages. So they decided to remove the higher paid men so they were able to compete with bidding of jobs.

Pros

well organized

Cons

poor management

plasma table

worked on plasma table some days spot welded others grinded lots of over time hours plasma table had to be cleaned monthly, they put me through crane course

productive and fun to work

it is nice to work in supreme. they take care of their employees. i have a learned a lot at my work. Like how to operate the machines (wheelabrator machine).

Productive and safety orientated

A very good construction company, with good workers and foreman who effectively and safely get the job done. Consistent safety meetings and good work ethic made it a joy to work for the company.

Pros

Good pay, understanding people

Cons

Lack of tools

A great place to work.

Supreme Steel is a great place to work. It has a nice work/family atmosphere. If times get tough, they will help you transition to another one of their projects, dependent on if you're a good worker. Overall, a pleasant place

Pros

Family Time

Cons

Safety staff needs to have Ironworker experience

good work and nice facilities but poor management

I personally had the best foreman when i started at smfi on days shift. everything began getting worse and worse once i transferred to nights for a higher wage.

Good people, very family orientated.

I have been with company for a total of 10 years. My managers are very approachable and believe in a balance between work place and home life.

Fabrication shop

The company office in Saskatoon is about 5 mins out of town off a gravel road. The front office and fabrication shop is all in 1 building. The employees in the front office have to use a punch clock to record the hours worked each day. There is only a 30 minute lunch break and no coffee breaks. The working schedule isn't very flexible. I worked in the front office for 1 year. It was a great experience to be able to create drawings and then see the process of creating the parts in the shop. The staff is really friendly and are willing to teach and help out when needed.

Great Place to work

Supreme is a bit heavy on the Safety, but a very good place to work. SMFI has a wonderful work environment/teamwork. Breaks could be a little longer, and more tools available, but over all this is a good job. Close to Edmonton and surrounding communities.

Pros

Great Work Enviornment

Nice small company with good pay and benefits

Work was good, challenging, inventory system not very modern at the time. Company needed lots of modernization. Everything else was pretty good.

Pros

good pay

Cons

older ppl set in their ways - no welcoming changes

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Supreme Steel. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8Job security/advancement

Compare Supreme Steel with

• Supreme Steel
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?