Sunwapta Falls Rocky Mountain Lodge
View all Sunwapta Falls Rocky Mountain Lodge reviews

Sunwapta Falls Rocky Mountain Lodge

Sunwapta Falls Rocky Mountain Lodge Employee Review

Just need to come out and say it...

I see the term "caring management" being used once again in this year's recruitment ads, and it's prompted me to write a review. Just because it's a family business, does not mean you can let a toxic family member manage, degrade, and mentally abuse staff. Speaking up about issues gets you nowhere, because everyone knows the problems, but are not willing to do anything about it. The surroundings are beautiful, but the memories ain't so great for me.

3.0Job security/advancement

Same roleSame location

Wonderful experience

I got the opportunity to work at sunwapta the summer of 2020, due to covid it was a much smaller group and it was lovely! We all became a family and would play games together, cook together, and go on adventures together, some of us even went on a helicopter flight! I found it to be an amazing experience and having the opportunity to work in the rockies is an experience that any adventurous person should do! Because its very remote there is so much to see/do nearby without the tons of tourists, and if you love wildlife you will get to see plenty! Squirrels, elk, big horn sheep, mountain goats, and bears are just a few of the beautiful animals you may see while working at sunwapta, i got the opportunity to see all of those! The job itself I personally loved as well, getting to hear all the customers stories and getting to learn about all of the products we sold (if you are a rock collector like me there’s plenty of beautiful stones/fossils to learn about, like ammolite, amber, ammonite, jade, moonstone and plenty more) and I found the hours and pay to be good as well, the housing for staff is very very tiny but due to covid we got to have our own rooms and i turned my tiny room into my own personalized tiny fort (it was adorable) overall I personally found it to be a wonderful experience and I would definitely recommend it to anyone who is looking for an adventurous summer! :)

Pros

Staff, work, hours, perks

Same location

Innovative company that's family owned

This company truly cares about it's employees and the onsite nature of staff accommodations creates a very tight knit group, almost like a family. The workload can be a little much if you're not expecting it, especially during peak season (Last week of June to the First week of September) but they're very team oriented and will work towards solutions of any problems staff might have whether they be professional or personal. It's seasonal work and you get to live in the heart of the greatest natural wonder in all of North America (the Candian Rockies of course), if you're a motivated passionate person and you've ever felt the need to just get out and try something new I highly recommend trying at least a season. They have a gift shop and restaurant on site so between those and the hotel there are plenty of different types of positions available.

Pros

Live where you work, chance to meet people from all over the world, There's a bonus at the end based on how many hours you've worked

Cons

6 days a week usually, Can be hectic during peak season, No cell phone service so can make some feel isolated if you don't get along with other staff
Same location

Great location, poor division of workforce.

6 days a week, 9-5, 1 day off. 3 employees for the Maintenance crew. I was told I would have time for adventures and time to explore the park. Most days I was quite tired from the tasks, which is fine. Usually I'd look forward to my weekends to explore but with only 1 day off... it's just not reasonable for the little amount of pay provided. 80% of the employees are all at the same salary which is unusual given the different field of knowledge and physical ability required for tasks.Also, I approached management with an inquiry to hire another employee for maintenance to balance the work load and have us all with 2 days off. The answer had little explanation then a straight no. After that I had left. Also the accommodation is very very small. I barely came with anything and was able to just fit my things. That was while I was on my own in the room. Plus there is no AC! The day I left, I was supposed to have a roomate, that would have been hilarious. Take it with a grain of salt. Its not for everyone. About 40% of staff left after 2 months...

Pros

Cons

Pay, accommodation.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sunwapta Falls Rocky Mountain Lodge. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.8Job security/advancement

Sunwapta Falls Rocky Mountain Lodge Reviews by Location

• Sunwapta Falls Rocky Mountain Lodge
  • Just need to come out and say it...