Sunwapta Falls Rocky Mountain Lodge
View all Sunwapta Falls Rocky Mountain Lodge reviews

Sunwapta Falls Rocky Mountain Lodge

Sunwapta Falls Rocky Mountain Lodge Employee Review

It was like a family

During the summer it was very busy with BBQ's and regular customers coming into our deli. I learned how to keep calm in stressful situations and how to multi-task when there were many things to do at once.

Same location

Innovative company that's family owned

This company truly cares about it's employees and the onsite nature of staff accommodations creates a very tight knit group, almost like a family. The workload can be a little much if you're not expecting it, especially during peak season (Last week of June to the First week of September) but they're very team oriented and will work towards solutions of any problems staff might have whether they be professional or personal. It's seasonal work and you get to live in the heart of the greatest natural wonder in all of North America (the Candian Rockies of course), if you're a motivated passionate person and you've ever felt the need to just get out and try something new I highly recommend trying at least a season. They have a gift shop and restaurant on site so between those and the hotel there are plenty of different types of positions available.

Pros

Live where you work, chance to meet people from all over the world, There's a bonus at the end based on how many hours you've worked

Cons

6 days a week usually, Can be hectic during peak season, No cell phone service so can make some feel isolated if you don't get along with other staff
Same location

Great location, poor division of workforce.

6 days a week, 9-5, 1 day off. 3 employees for the Maintenance crew. I was told I would have time for adventures and time to explore the park. Most days I was quite tired from the tasks, which is fine. Usually I'd look forward to my weekends to explore but with only 1 day off... it's just not reasonable for the little amount of pay provided. 80% of the employees are all at the same salary which is unusual given the different field of knowledge and physical ability required for tasks.Also, I approached management with an inquiry to hire another employee for maintenance to balance the work load and have us all with 2 days off. The answer had little explanation then a straight no. After that I had left. Also the accommodation is very very small. I barely came with anything and was able to just fit my things. That was while I was on my own in the room. Plus there is no AC! The day I left, I was supposed to have a roomate, that would have been hilarious. Take it with a grain of salt. Its not for everyone. About 40% of staff left after 2 months...

Pros

Cons

Pay, accommodation.

Disrespectful and rude management

Although Sunwapta Falls is in the middle of the beautiful Rockies, the management absolutely ruined my experience here. They are insanely disrespectful to staff and are not supportive or caring at all. They are rude and will bark at you for not doing things their way instead of trying to guide you and help you grow. They do not understand that living in the Rockies is MORE than a job. People uproot and move their entire lives to come here yet they treat the staff so poorly. The staff accommodations are gross and the A/C doesn’t work so you will be boiling every time you’re in your room. Chances are you will meet plenty of awesome people who also work/live there, but it’s not worth it. The lodge is completely outdated. More like a trailer park, motel or an up-scale concentration camp. There are hundreds of awesome job opportunities in Jasper and throughout the Rockies, Sunwapta Falls is not one of them. Do not waste your time here.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sunwapta Falls Rocky Mountain Lodge. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.8Job security/advancement