Sunshine Village Ski & Snowboard Resort

Sunshine Village Ski & Snowboard Resort Employee Reviews

Poor executive team ruins the experience

I loved operating snow cats, is a dream job of mine. Due to the CEO and COO choosing to have HR lie to the staff about promised jobs perks. Keeping staff in the dark about decision that affect them, shows that they truly don't care about the staff. How can one take pride and care about doing a good job when the people at the top don't care. The actions of the people at the top destroyed my passion and drive to achieve and take pride in my dream job. They would rather replace people than be honest with them.

Pros

Dream job

Cons

Unprofessional executive team

Great workplace with awesome perks

I loved working at Sunshine! The perks are amazing, such as a free pass to the hill, discounts to so many other ski resorts around the world, and perks in Banff as well to restaurants and hotels. The staff cafeteria food is fantastic and it costs next to nothing. I really loved the training I received and the management team was very supportive.

Pros

Good staff cafeteria, great staff, free ski pass, awesome discounts worldwide

Good coworkers bad management

From what I heard, my experience is far from being abnormal, they overwork you, fire people without replacing them, and expect you to pick up the slack. I would only recommend working here if you do well in stressful situations.

Pros

Overtime pay

Cons

Overworked

Really great coworkers and fun easy job but not great hours and unfulfilled promises

When I learned that I got the job at Sunshine village I was super excited for an awesome ski season! I love to ski and the seasons pass was going to be a great bonus to working and having fun in banff. With covid I understand every company had their struggles this past year but it was no exception the way employees were treated this year at Sunshine. They over hired in every department which led to many layoffs when we had to close down restaurants for two months. When I applied for the job I was promised 40hours a week and when I actually started working there I got less than half of that so I couldn’t afford my rent I had to find another job. Many people that had come abroad were left with no jobs and if they lived on hill were given one week to move out. For those people that were lucky enough to keep their job but were temporarily laid off for those two months they had the ski pass taken away and if they wanted to come ski they would have to pay full price for a day ticket. To put it in perspective there was nothing to do in quarantine no one was aloud in each others houses no restaurants or any indoor activities were available and the only thing the government let you do was outdoor activities. The total amount of people they temporarily laid off would not have made a difference to sunshine by taking away their pass but I know it made a difference in many of their employees mental health. Overall I was just disappointed in the way everything was handled and no matter how many emails we sent to HR we got no response so it didn’t feel like they even cared. I wanted to post -

Pros

Very nice coworkers, and you get a free ski pass

Cons

No hours, long commute to work

Wouldnt recommend working here to anyone

Sunshine as a company are terrible. They will treat you like just a number and replace you if they see fit. Living on the hill they take away all your freedom its like a glorified prison. The food they feed you is trash and you're not allowed to make food in your room. They will kick you off with a days notice and 0 mercy. There is nothing to do after 5 and you're not allowed to hangout with friends or coworkers in your spare time. I would never work for sunshine again. Anyone who ever has will tell you that same thing. Garbage company.

Great for foreigners

This resort is mostly well run. They experience the same operating difficulties year after year, as there is very high turnover in each department due to its seasonal nature. Although most staff act in a professional manner, it never seems very organised. The food and beverage outlets are among the most unorganized.

Best 6 Months ive ever had

best experience i have ever had to date. the reciprocals you get for riding other mountains is a great work incentive and benefit which makes up for the minimum wage say that though you don't do this job for money you do it to have a fun time and enjoy company around you and make life long friends and that is defiantly what i did. will be going back for sure in the future

Bad experience

I worked for sunshine for 88 days and was fired just before the 90 day cut off like many other employees. The termination was not justified and HR was unable to give me any kind of reasoning for my dismissal. Completely unorganized and uneducated people running a seasonal job equals a hostile working environment, job security is always on the line and employees are looked at as just a number. Good luck with this corporation.

Great coworkers and beautiful mountain views, management is lacking a bit

most enjoyable part would be the ease of access to hiking everywhere, the occasional chance of seeing a grizzly. This job gave me plenty of time to explore Banff and the surroudings on my own.

best job on earth

the best job I've ever had, working in the Rocky Mountains, skiing on your break, working with likeminded people and creating strong relationships. making peoples day was the best part of it. everybody was happy

Great atmosphere for someone trying to improve their skiing/ snowboarding skills and is passionate about the industry

Such a great experience. Worked nights 4 days a week and had 3 days off. Amazing reciprocal package. Free skiing at most resorts in the Canadian Rockies and 50% off hotels and merchandise at Sunshine Village.

fun place to work if you like to ski or snowboard

free pass is by far the best part of the job. it's a busy fast paced job, hard to keep up on the busy days. but plenty of free time to enjoy what the hill has to offer.

Fun place to work

Fun place to work great benefits. Reciprocals are amazing very helpful team members. Friendly environment. HR are fantastic and super great staff members.

A lot of fun to work for Sunshine, I have a great time and have lots of time to ride on the hill! There are a lot of perk like a ski season pass included!

Very awesome environment to be part of

Amazing coworkers and work life balance. 2 hour ride breaks are given daily and you're in the most beautiful place with majestic mountains surrounding you. What more could you ask for?!

Working Holidary

Awesome experience working in an environment that allows you to connect with like minded individuals work can become mundane but its about the experience of where you are

Pros

2hr ride break available during shift

Cons

tedious work

working with like minded people

For the most part, Sunshine was a good place to work. It tended to get extremely busy (esp. Christmas) and as a result, tensions ran high. You work with a lot of travellers and like minded people, so making friends is a breeze

Pros

cheap food, free ski pass, friendly people

Cons

under experienced management and staff

Great winter job

Worked at Lookout for the bulk of the 16/17 winter season and would strongly recommend it as a winter job. Flexible rosters and plenty of time to get out onto the slopes.

Productive and fun workplace you get ride breaks on occaisons

I would wake up around 6 in the morning catch the bus then get a ride from the gondola up the hill sign in and start preparing for the first wave of people to start showing up.

Pros

ride breaks, 5 dollar big lunches from staff caffe

Cons

crazy busy on the holidays

sunshine

it had its up and downs but in all a good job was always fun to finish work and do the ski out to the bus and meeting new people from different walks of life

Pros

free sjki pass cheap or free food

Cons

distance getting to work and cold gonodal ride up

no job security

at sunshine village you work hard for very little respect. sunshine village like to give you a bonus at the end of the season however you have to work till the very last day to actually receive this bonus seems easy enough right. wrong. by the time the last day of the season comes around you've accumulated around $1400 so they'll find an excuse to fire you so they don't have to pay out that bonus. or they will get rid of you within the first 3 months after you've helped set things up and get operations moving. They don't need a reason to terminate as you are in your "probation" period.

Pros

cheap staff cafe, perks to many other ski resorts

Cons

no respect, no job security

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sunshine Village Ski & Snowboard Resort. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2Job security/advancement