Sunset Grill
Happiness score is 65 out of 100

Sunset Grill Employee Reviews

The interview process was very informal. It took a very short time to start working which was great. I worked at the Sunset Grill in Mississauga and I enjoyed my manager and most of the staff there. Fast-paced so time went very quickly and I got a free meal every day. The only down fall was the owner of the restaurant. At first he was very nice and helpful but as time went on he became hostile and/or flirtatious with my coworkers and I. Other than that it was a great place to work.

Pros

Free meals, fast-paced

Cons

Owner

nice people to work for

it was my first job and was a good experience. Just needed more hours to work. Its only open during the day so would not fit my schedule when i return to school in fall

Pros

free breakfast

Cons

not enough hours

Horrible management and bad pay

They don't care about staff. Dont expect proper breaks and the management leaves Hella early so you won't be able to ask for assistance. Also understaffed for the busy days

Great people, can be challenging when it gets busy

Excellent Management. Excellent team culture. There is a strong focus on safety and customer service. As long as you take care to do the job properly, you will not have a problem.

Pros

Discounted food

Cons

Early starts

Great work environment and customers are amazing.

Like any job, it all stems from management. I work at 2 locations and the owners are wonderful. I only wish they had more say in their business instead of what head office allows or doesn't allow them to do. I have worked for sunset for 9 years now and I have built really great relationships with the staff, the owners and many customers.

Pros

Hours

Cons

Crazy hectic yet chill place to work.

My experience of the kitchen was quite relaxed even on a busy day as I was just on dish. While the cooks were sweating buckets I'm already caught up doing jumping-jacks in the back. Everyone of my coworkers was a pleasant person, my manger was an understanding guy with a kind heart. Unlike most restaurants the turnover isn't so bad, when you learn someone's name you better expect to remember it for atleast 6 months, it's sorta of difficult to move up the line for this reason aswell. Covid has made the restaurant dead. Limited staff. Fewer covers.

Pros

Free staff meal.

Cons

Short shifts

Worst company to work for

I worked for the sunset in barrie on cundles and it was the worst experience, complete mess. I was hired on for a location then asked to do a few shifts at another, then to complete full time at the other location, and when i decided i didn’t want to then I was let go. Not to mention, i was withheld my last paycheck for weeks, they made me drive back and forth from barrie to orillia to try to get it. The owners are rude and made you feel stupid for asking questions, do yourself a favour and serve somewhere else.

Pros

Cons

Rude owners, poor treatment, toxic enviroment

Terrible management

I worked there for 2 weeks asked the head cook(managers best friend) why there was no prep done at all coming in from my day off. he ended up telling the manager I was fighting with him and I was fired 2 days later not able to explain my self or anything so if your gonna work there better kiss the head cooks butt. I was also told I was never allowed weekends off and they will litteraly not train you one bit and expect you to know everything in a day

Unfriendly owners and stuff.

Horrible experience, both the owners were behaving unprofessionally. The waitress was super rude and entitled. The environment seems very oppressive and toxic and feels like you’ve been watched constantly by owners.

Don’t bother.

This is relating to the Kennedy road and 401 location in Scarborough. I went for training here, in which I was told I would NOT be compensated for. On top of that, one of the owners wanted me to go out of my way to go downtown to an employment service to sign papers that said they are hiring me. That meant the owners would receive compensation instead for hiring a student or whatever. Ridiculous. Also, this Sunset Grill did not serve alcohol but were offering the wage of a restaurant that does (if a restaurant does not serve alcohol, the wage should be regular minimum wage). All the servers I spoke to there also did not receive compensation for their training and were generally unhappy in terms of the management of the place. Stop ripping off the people that make your establishment run.

Pros

Good hours, nice coworkers

Cons

Management, pay, no respect

Jobs at Sunset Grill

See more jobs

Very friendly and fun work place

It was an easy and fun shift. Everyone who works there is super friendly and fun to work with. They make sure everything is done well and it is a great place overall. Would highly recommend eating there.

Pros

Very nice people, and great food

Fun work environment

The owner at the North York Sunset Grill location is an amazing guy. It’s a fun work environment, we have our ups and downs as any workplace does, but owner owner and manager deal with it appropriately.

Pros

Fun, fast-paced.

Cons

Sometimes slow

Working at Sunset Grill has taught me a lot about working in a fast paced industry which I really enjoy. However, they do not offer benefits.

A day of work at Sunset Grill is fast paced. It involves restocking, cleaning and it requires strong customer service skills. The environment at times is very hot and loud but does not affect me.

Pros

Hours, being on my feet and being active

Cons

No benefits

Fun place to work

Overall, Sunset Grill is a great beginners place to work, the environment is friendly, the customers are mostly very welcoming, the staff are easy to work with, however as is with most places, there are some staff members or customers that will test your patience, so to be able to work with people is a must at a place like this.

Poor management/ownership

Daily production goals difficult at best. Always running out of product. Management/ownership runs the establishment like a fast food service. Customer service was non essential in the eyes of management/ownership. Service charge paid to the company to be distributed amongst our back of house staff was not distributed

Good Place

great place to work, kind people, friendly atmosphere and super competent managers. Reasonable salary with possibilities for growth within the company

Hard to work here once the philipinos dont like you

I lead by example and i did earn the respect of my coworkers. However the owners had a few tim hortons locations so they soon only hired philipino employess and i was the last one standing. I learned later that I was the reason for everythig my manager wasnt doing lol. I worked hard and did a good job. I had many people who would vouch for me, however in the end they closed the doors for a reason.

not the best place to work

very fast paced work environment, as well as very stressful. management treats staff poorly more specifically the cooks. i would not recommend working there

fun atmosphere and friendly workers

everyone gets along a lot of laughs and hard work. Customers most of the time are extremely friendly and it is like a family environment. you work independently which means you have no one following you around giving you orders.

Pros

free breakfast and time goes by fast

Cons

sometimes you have impatient customers

Great place to work, friendly and helpful coworkers. Well managed and friendly customers. I would like to see less tip out at the end of the shift... 5% is too high.

I would give a 0 if I could

The job it self is great customers are nice but they tend to treat you like poo Not a very good environment Is like a black hole it sucks you in and doesn’t let you breathe Hot hot inside and they don’t care about their employees if the A/C is off. We have to hear owners yell all the time They rush you with your customers They yell constantly and they are nasty they want customer to come in and leave as fast as possible They only care about money not you at all nastyemployer I am glad I left cause my anxiety was over the roof I had to seek medical help cause of thee owner

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sunset Grill. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1Job security/advancement