Sunset Grill Employee Reviews

Was Not A Good Time
Busser (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON15 April 2019
I was told that within a year of being hired I would be bumped up to a serving position. Instead I worked there for two years, and by the end was receiving 2 shifts a month, with no signs of being promoted, and even though my availability was completely open and I had seniority on most other bussers that worked there. Job wasn't very enjoyable and rather than being helpers, essentially the bussers were told to do whatever the servers just didn't feel like doing.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
no hours
Keeps you busy and on your toes
Bus boy (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON25 March 2019
It's a good starting job to get your feet wet when dealing with costumers, everyone is friendly. It can be boring sometimes but when it gets busy, everyone works fast.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Nothing to do when restaurant is not busy
Too much work
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON24 March 2019
It is my personal opinion that the Sunset Grill is a very heavy restaurant operation for what it produces and it also produces far too much waste for the amount of work that people have to do. There are more efficient breakfast restaurants that could easily push this one off the planet only because of the girth of it.
Pros
free breakfast
Cons
they let anyone own one...
Terrible Management
Server (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON20 March 2019
The owners of the location I worked at was probably the worst I have ever experienced. They micromanage and tell you the same things over and over again. If they like you, you get free food and praise, but if they don't, you get terrible sections and are even more scrutinized by the owners. Turnover is constant because no one can handle how they are being treated.

Also, the tip out is 5% and since there are only two bussers, a dishwasher and two cooks, there is on average $800 dollars in tips for the weekend and throughout the week. However, the 5-6 people who get tipped out totals to under $200. so nobody knows where the rest of that money goes; probably right into the owner's pockets.
Pros
free tasty food, decent hours
Cons
rude customers, owners are bad
friendly and productive staff
Hostess/Busser (Current Employee) –  Keswick, ON19 March 2019
a typical day at work consists of using acquired customer service/interpersonal skills to interact with customers

a typical day also looks like; escorting customers to their table and bussing tables as customers leave

most enjoyable part of the job is working with an amazing staff whom have become family.
Pros
free lunches, productive staff, great atmosphere
Cons
no cons
Worst supervisor ever
Dishwasher and Food Prep (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON11 March 2019
The manager of the Welland avenue location, bald man makes you do excess work with no help. Hired on as a dishwasher did not see any tips as promised and was always talked to rudely by the managers who refused to help you out with a task but expected you to do the same for them. Pathetic place to work with terrible hours and no break
Pros
Free food, staff
Cons
Managemen
Great environment and great people to work with
Server (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON13 February 2019
This job taught me a great deal about customer service. Working only morning shifts is a bonus, never having to worry about late night shifts. Great place to work at, with even greater people to work with.
Amazing hours for your family life
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON18 January 2019
I have worked at Sunset Grill Restaurant for the last 8 years. The company is awesome to work for and allows me to juggle my family life and my hours.
Pros
Great Customers
Cons
High tip outs
Poor Management Styles
Server (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON17 January 2019
Considering Sunset Grill are smaller franchises operating; the management style is yet questionable in a negative concern. I had worked at 2 locations; both experiencing a dreadful work life - yet sticking through for 3 years of service.
Pros
Good hours, good tips, free lunch, good food
Cons
Management, bust times, shifts and scheduling
Not bad
Cook/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON13 January 2019
Food was good but there was some miscommunication between coworkers, me and owners. Not enough hours offered once I was back in school. A very small restaurant.
Pros
Sometimes free food
Cons
Misscommunications
Good job, first job I had
Busser, hostess, expediter (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON30 December 2018
It was the first job I had. It was good, I enjoyed my time working there and management was very nice and flexible. I didn't have any issues with my positions at the company. I enjoyed talking to customers and seeing their excitement when their food arrived at the table. I was 15 when I first started working so I was still inexperienced but for a first job I think it helped me step out of my shell and learn to talk with customers and improve my people skills.
Pros
Free meal per shift
Cons
Didn't get many hours at the time
Disappointing experience
Server (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON16 December 2018
I was happy to be hired at Sunset Grill because it's a well known franchise and you can't beat the hours (7am-3pm). Unfortunately the owners/managers don't believe in giving their staff any breathing room and that's the main reason why the turnover is SO high. I tried to stick it out but it's impossible. It's hard to be micromanaged when the owners have no real clue as to what they're doing. Even worse, they're terrified of head office so if a customer takes back food, they have to pay for it and you have to deal with it. No voids. The ipads used to input the orders freeze constantly (especially when busy) and you're tipping out 4% but constantly running your food/everyone else's food and cleaning your own tables because the only busser they can keep is incompetent (and smells, AND hovers over customers. Real treat.) Also - nepotism! Coupled with the owners inability to keep calm when it's busy and the cramped layout of the place, any experienced server will usually peace out of there either immediately or within the first month or so. The pictures they post on social media never have the same staff, see for yourself! Overall a very frustrating 2 months of my life that I am relieved are over.
Pros
Great hours, good clientele
Cons
Incompetent micromanaging owners, not the best computer system, high tipout (was 4%, now 5%)
Great place to work just needed more hours
Line Cook/ Prep cook (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 December 2018
Work was very fast paced with a great supporting team I learned alot about cooking fast but still making the finished product look great. The best part about the job was the team I worked with and the hardest part was not getting the hours I needed.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Short hours
Fun place with amazing co-workers
Cashier & Busser (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON25 November 2018
Working at Sunset Grill was a great experience, the customers were very nice and understanding, and the staff is very helpful and polite. It taught me communication, and elevated my team working skills.
Pros
free lunches
Fun rewarding work environment
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Port Credit, ON5 November 2018
Business typically ranged from extremely busy on weekends to having flows of customers trickeling in during the week. I personally loved the fast paced weekends because there was always something to do.
fun
Work as a line cook/ Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON24 October 2018
i had a lot of fun working as a cook?dishwasher, very nice people to work with. its was a little stress full at time but still great over all. the customers were very kind
Fun place to work
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 September 2018
The place was always full so was funny to be occupy all the day. I used to attend the clients in the door and give them a table, if it was full i put them on a queue until a table is free.
Unpleasant working experience
Server (Former Employee) –  Wasaga Beach, ON22 September 2018
very stressful work environment as we were very understaffed but were constantly busy and did not get the help when we needed it. constantly under a lot of pressure
Horrible Family Run Business - Good Workers Stay Away!!!
Server (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON13 August 2018
Cooks are hardworking guys that dish out good food, service is generally quick due to their great tech system, not very personable place at all though. In and out is their main goal. Management is a major issue - verbally aggressive with employees other than their own daughter. Could be an amazing place - but the level of professionalism is painfully embarrassing.

Tried to get paid for my hours that I worked, after 4 emails and 3 phonecalls, I went in person, they yelled at me in front of other guests dining in, refused to pay me until I returned an apron they accused me of stealing. Felt like they cared more about an apron than what the real issue was, their poor communication and management. You are given positions here based on familiar relation, no competence.
Pros
Customers were nice
Hard work/cranky customers
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON30 July 2018
I wouldn't work for Sunset Grill. Simply because everyone is out for themselves. Customer complaints are an everyday thing. You can never please everyone.
Fast pace environment. The kitchen does not CATER to everyone's needs. They cater to their own menu only so the kitchen can dish out plates faster, and substitutions are not always accommodated.
They will not make home fries with onions due to no room on the grill, or will not make well done home fries on the grill on the weekends due to high volumes of customers. Which made many customers complain and upset.
Cons
Poor Management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sunset Grill. Our community is ready to answer.