Sunrise Soya Foods Employee Reviews

Not a good place to work.
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC17 May 2019
Human Resource is also not independent. Too much turnover of employees. There is no career growth opportunities. Too much personal liking and favoritism. Bosses are clever to make their own position in front of the owners. If this company give me offer of double wages/salary, I will never accept. This was the worst company I worked for. Try to get rid of this company.
Management is same for both plants in BC.
Pros
Didn't find any
Cons
low wages, bad management, HR is not independent, parking problems, junkies sometimes smashes car windows
Worst place to wor
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC3 April 2019
very bad don't work here no management very hot long hours disrespect staff not worth the time or the pay make you work more then you want to as well as treat you bad
Cons
hours, management
Very bad place to work
Maintenance worker (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC1 April 2019
Management is terrible. It's hot noisy steamy and dangerous. People got permanent life-long injuries while I was working there. They didn't even bother to pay me. Most of the people there do not know they're in Canada and nobody speaks English.
Family Oriented and much more organized than before
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC27 December 2018
I have been with Sunrise for a while now and they have made a lot of changes in their management team. Very organized and great people to work around.
Pros
Good management team
For Chinese people only
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 October 2018
I did not get PAID for all the days I worked
Hot and Noisy
English and French are not official languages here
Most people who work here do not know we are in Canada.
Focusing on just the AP side of the company
Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 September 2018
Performed a lot of critical duties as an AP specialist. Getting to know the industry and learning the particulars about it. Fun to meet new staff and it is a great company.
Good place to start with but zero management in QA department
QA Technician (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 June 2018
Learned a lot as a QA technician so it’s a good place to gain working experience and a good start if you want to switch to food industries. However, the QA department has zero management, working schedule is like a joke. 4 different shifts a week and sometimes working hours and time will change if some colleague goes on vacation or the person suddenly changes her mind to come back to work with different date. QA Manager is nice but never cares about who will work and what their responsibilities are or if someone really does her jobs or not, never solves problems and conflicts between colleagues and has no standpoints at all. QA technicians are always asked to do some meaningfulness and unrealistic checks but never works at the end. Hourly pay is low and no space to grow. So once you have enough experience then leave to find a better job.
Pros
Easily gain food industrial experience
Cons
Low pay, chaos and ridiculous working schedule, no management in QA dept, bad company culture
Happy work
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC17 May 2018
I'm happy working in there and everywhere. I learn also different kind of style of working with others at same time I learn something which I don't learn before.
Pros
Provided my own food
Cons
I wouldn't recommend any English speaking individuals to apply
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC10 May 2018
There is a big emphasis on speaking Chinese in the work place. Some of the machines aren't even in English. Very loud and there's no flexibility with the schedule. They only give a few days notice for when you work next. Stay away at all costs.
lots of breakdowns in the plant so learned mechanical and electrical skills. A typical day at work varies from mechanical to electrical.
Maintenance Electrician (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC9 May 2018
A typical work day always varied for me. The hardest part of the job was not finding proper tools and needed parts to complete a job.
The management is not receptive of ideas to make improvements to make the system better. The employee's benefits plan is not as good as other employers.
productive and highly pressurised
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON24 May 2017
no negotiation in quality product. Too much pressure to employee. High garbage production i.e. not environmental friendly. work division among the employees were not balanced
Pros
health concious
Cons
low salary high pressure
warehouse Shipper and Receivers
Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 May 2017
I working in warehouse,doing Shipper and Receivers,usually Pick orders and prepare skids for shipment; stock and organization of warehouse racks.I have lift truck operator and walkie rider experience for 3 year
Gained more experience by working with other technician
POWER ENGINEER & MAINTENANCE MECHANIC (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC6 February 2017
Learned electrical trouble shooting from co-worker electricians. Gained more experience in mechanical and electrical trouble shooting and maintenance.
Do not work here if you're looking to progress your career
Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC13 February 2016
The background on the 1 star ratings:

Job work/life balance

Not a company that values or has any flexibility.
This is a 9-5 job and then some.
Rules and strict time in office is the culture of this company.
No real expectation for most people's lives in changing work and life environment.
Hours and the slightest 'out of the ordinary' inconvenience is not taken very well by management.

Salary/benefits

Average salary, but no benefits.

Zero.
Lots of turnover in the sales management department.
Countless hiring and firing for this role.
Unrealistic expectations on growth and vision.

Poor handle on managing people.
You will be picked on for slightest errors.
Unrealistic and old information systems, costly, time inefficient.

People are not valued.
Micromanaged.
Every small amount of dollars are scrutinized.
No benefits means not taking care of people both at the office and production. Even the hard working people at the factory level. If you're sick, need prescriptions, nothing is covered. If you lose a hand in a machine, you have no extended coverages. This isn't the way to show people you care about them enough to protect them. And extended health coverages cost the owners a little more, but it's a given necessity to protect the work and personal interests and health of an employee. By failing to offer this as a basic necessity, fails to show due care for health, wellness and family in all ways. There is a safety culture, but if you chop off your hand, you live with it for the
  more... rest of your life and it's under your consequence to live with. Not a company I value for this. If I was an owner, I may lose a few extra hundreds of thousands of dollars, but for everyone to get extended health is a coverage I think is a basic business expense to invest in your employees. They rather save it.  less
Pros
You have a job.
Cons
Working for a company you have to decide if you feel passionate enough about or value yourself.
Only apply to here if you need a few bucks to survive
operator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 January 2016
It's a horrible place to work with. Non-stop heavy weight lifting but paying you minimum wage.

Work hour changes in daily manner. (Every single day have a different hour)

Management is another disaster

Environment looks very clean under naked eye, but your hand always get infected even with a minor scratch (Lots of germs within this working environment) And they don't have proper PPE provided
Pros
They hire everyone, anyone, as long as you can work
Cons
Too much to list.
Summary
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 February 2015
No room for growth. Boring work day. Wasn't utilizing my skill-set. Table Tennis available for employees. Very nice co-workers. Employees were not respected. Verbal abuse experienced by a few co-workers.
Pros
Co-Workers
Cons
Pay was terrible. Workload wasn't adequate.
Difficult company to work for
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC25 January 2015
Not one to be the most cohesive in systems and expectations unreasonably high. Not nearly as progressive a company if you are looking for one that values employee feedback and best interests. The environment remains status quo, lead by example would not be a term I would describe the culture as it is very driven from the top down. There is no company morale, but overall, most are there for a job. I did not feel appreciated working here, work life balance is 0, family and self care is not a priority and everyone works here fearing to break rules. Everything is picked on from work performance to the usage of supplies and focused on rules. A lot of criticism, and information about employees that should remain confidential with management, was often leaked and publicized and plenty of terminations. People are not at the core despite being a business driven organization I understand, leaking employee information internally and externally is not appropriate.
Is ok to work here if you do not drive a car, nice co-workers and is a not too bad employer
Receptionist / Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC18 October 2013
The company is located at east side downtown, for me is quite a scary area. My car was broken in during my first week of work there. No parking provided from employer, and was a daily stress to look for parking. Very strange employer, they never value experience / long service employee....... employee turnover rate quite high. For a Chinese owned company, is a generous employer with a little group benefit to staff.