Sunrise Records

Sunrise Records Employee Reviews

i absolutely loved working at sunrise records. the manager is amazing and welcomes you right in. it’s a very small team of workers and because sunrise is an indie company hours are very limited. it’s an awesome first timer job or side job since unfortunately full time will only really come to you if you’re management which is completely understandable. you’ll likely be working alone at the store once you’ve been trained. it’s a very laid back work environment and definitely one of the best jobs i’ve ever had. totally recommend
Pros
relaxed, easy going, casual dress
Cons
short hours, but understandable for the size of the company
Management is great, just make sure you do your job good and a timely matter. Staff were required to, but not limited to: put out stock, alphabetize vinyl, movies and CDs, clean/dust/sanitize, greet customers and complete transactions. I learnt a lot about making customers happy and teaching them new things about audio or visual products. Hardest part for me personally was doing everything really fast and doing a good job at the same time. Most enjoyable part was my co-workers and seeing new products.
Pros
Listen to your own music (no swears), staff discount
Cons
Sometimes fast paced, sometimes very, very slow.
Best place to be at a better family based company so happy to be with sunrise records. They always make sure that you are comfortable. Happiest place!
Pros
Everyone is wonderful
Cons
Amazing as a first job, friendly, collaborative, media-filled fun. Would definitely recommend as an easy but enjoyable part time job. Must enjoy music, movies, and people.
Bonne compagnie pour de l'expérience mais niveau salaire laisse a desirer
I cannot fathom a retail chain run as poorly as Sunrise records. Managers are exploited by given ridiculous tasks without the labor to accomplish it (with the threat that unpaid overtime is the correct resolution). Pay is ridiculously below market standard, HR will abuse every and all options at their disposal, and say hello to a mandatory 44 hour work week. Senior management lies to their customers, lies to the staff, and lies to managers. They've always got money to buy another entertainment retailer, but never enough to give raises. Avoid at all costs.
Overall an enjoyable place to work, I was only employed for a short amount of time but really enjoyed when I did work there. Being in a such a small store is pretty good as you get to know the people you work with very well and start to recognize familiar faces. The best part of working here is the fact that you will always be learning, maybe not so much about technical things, as you learn most of that from the start, but more so about pop culture and movies and music, there is always a constant and ever changing flow of new products and it keeps it interesting. Although it is enjoyable to work there, I could no longer be employed for the lack of hours, throughout my time there I heard rumours of Sunrise inevitably going under for many reasons. The biggest issue overall is that there is not enough business to make any profit and therefore there is not enough hours so most Sunrise locations are not hiring and will not be hiring for a long time. I would love to see Sunrise thrive, but as of right now, the future looks grim.
A part-time position which I have enjoyed given my interest and knowledge of music and pop culture. Enjoying working with the team. However the limited hours and minimum wage are not meeting my needs.
Made my way through from a christmas temp all the way into management in HMV. Re-opened Sunrise Records and havent learned anything new. Time to move on and build a career.
The staff are chill and always willing to answer questions and help out. Overall, has a strong comradery and is a fantastic first job for young adults. The pay is minimum wage which won't be enough to live off of. However, being a basic customer service position, that is to be expected. Very happy to work here, I have a great team, management and relaxed work environment.
J'ai travaillé pour cette compagnie depuis le début de l’expansion québécoise. Ça toujours été un peu du n'importe quoi chez Sunrise, souvent les stratégies change au gré du vent et dans bien des cas ses information se rende pas au employer soit volontairement ou involontairement mais une choses est sur c'est toujours de notre faute les employés(es) si les choses ne sont pas fait. Gros problème de communication! Ils se disent disquaire, du moins c'est comme cela qu'on ma présenté la choses lors de mon embauche avec les libertés d'un disquaire indépendant mais ce n'est qu'une façade. Très vite la plus part des idées que l'on avait était tasser du revers de la mains. C'est vite devenue aseptiser et sans saveur. Et être rebelle face a ce mouvement te valait des réprimande et des insultes des directeurs régionaux. Je me rappellerais toujours d'une phrase qui ma été dite lors d'une de ses réprimande - Tes pas le genre d'employer qu'on veut, tu as une connaissance musical incroyable que même moi j'ai pas mais ce n'est pas une disquaire qu'on veut ses un vendeur qui fait ce qu'on lui dit! Et avec le temps, au cour des dernières semaine ou j'ai travaillé pour sunrise ca carrément été de l'harcèlement psychologique. Ils cherchaient des coupables pour tout, insultait les employer en les traitant de pas bon, d'employer de marde et leur donnais tout les responsabilités de les échecs des dernier mois. Nous nous faisions rencontré a chaque chiffre pour se faire blâmer du moindre petit grains de sable qui faisait pas leur affaire, une poubelle oublier, un crayon a la mauvais place, - more...
Manager, assistant manager, and all of staff are so nice and easy to get along with. Store products are interesting and various. Great music and great environment.
I will preface this by saying that there were certainly growing pains as it is a newer, expanding company, but they were normal and fixable.That being said I think that Management, specifically HR and my former boss, were receptive to any concerns I voiced, and were quick to find a resolution. It is a very laid back environment but given the layout of the current office, it definitely requires you to actively communicate with your superiors and other departments to ensure thi gs run smoothly for everyone.
Searched for the right fit before I joined the team at Head Office and haven't looked back since! Open, fun, work culture with a team of pretty cool individuals. Workload can be heavy at times, but I genuinely enjoy what I do. Upper management is approachable and asks for feedback to make sure that we're happy and I've always felt "heard" when I submit a concern. Great place to work.
Ive never worked somewhere before that has so many whispered conversations about other peoples business. I am really confused about who fostered this culture, but its really uncomfortable to be so new and bombarded with people trying to convince me who to dislike already, primarily the women of the office and higher ups doing this. I am happy to be invited into the "in" crowd, but the fine print thay comes along with that means I am limited in who I can become friends with, as those outsifde of the inner circle are shunned apparently.
7 October 2019
Thank you for your feedback. One of our core values at Sunrise is to foster a collaborative, inclusive work environment. We are sorry to hear that you feel we are not meeting that goal. Our doors are always open. If you would like to provide further details or feedback, we invite you to contact us directly and we will ensure that your concerns are heard.
The amount of conversation I overheard discussing how to get people fired, or entrap them to get themselved fired was disturbing. The amount of competition and cutthroat backstabbing was frustrating and incredibly disheartening. These are peoples lives, just lay them off if you hate them, dont orchestrate games to play with their careers and lives to get them fired. The pay is below average, but you get what you pay for. When you treat your employees poorly, they do poorly for you.
7 October 2019
Thank you for your feedback. What you are describing does not align with Sunrise values and what we strive to be as a company. We are sorry that your experience did not live up to Sunrise expectations. We value and listen to employee feedback. We invite you to contact us directly with further details.
I did enjoy my time at Sunrise; it was pretty laid back and it was a lot of fun to talk to customers about music and movies. Good employee discount, too.
Very toxic culture. I was part of the “upper management” team. I say that in quotes, because there is upper management and then there is the clique. Lots of very private conversations used as ploys to steal ideas as their own or back talk someone else they were literally all smiles with minutes before. Even suggesting they need to find a way to get rid of them. Very awkward and uncomfortable to be in that situation. Don’t get me wrong, the company is filled with great people that are truly passionate and dedicated to the success of sunrise. Unfortunately, these people are not the VP or his cronies. I watched the true visionaries and creatives of sunrise get used and exploited over the past year and ultimately let go while others took credit for their work. How these people sleep. I don’t know. I would not go back until some housekeeping is taken care of.
7 October 2019
Thank you for your feedback. A collaborative Sunrise is our goal, where every team member’s ideas and opinions are valued and heard and success comes as a team, not as individuals. We are sorry to hear that your experience did not meet this goal. We are listening and value feedback from both current and former employees and encourage you to reach out to us directly to provide further details.
(Head Office) They bring in cupcakes sometimes but that doesnt really change the fact that its a toxic and cliquey work environment. Good luck filing complaints about anyone who is friends with HR, they fire or subtly drive away anyone who reports the wrong person. Roles are unclear and you are expected to double your workload with little notice, not to mention they will shovel higher paid departments work onto you and refuse raises, stating that raises will never happen so suck it up or leave.
"There will be no raises currently or in the future. If you decide to leave due to this, we understand. Sorry." - after asking for a raise when your workload doubles and youve worked there for ages. If you want a Mean Girl as a supervisor, definitely work here. If you are a Mean Girl yourself, HR will love you and do everything to shield you from repurcussions. Do yourself a favour and get the labour board forms ready on your first day, its only going to go down hill from there.
I loved my time at sunrise I would still be there if I hadn’t moved. Inclusive hiring where individuality is loved ( piercings ,tattoos ,fun hair ect) the hours were a little weird and you had lost of time where there was only you in the store but it was just starting and still trying to get its footing
Pros
Inclusive fun environment
Cons
Working alone
  1. Employee reviews