Sunnyside Grill Employee Reviews

Kitchen manager
Kitchen manager (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON27 March 2019
Dont work for this company. I worked in Newmarket location. It's one of my bad experience in my career. They dont treat you like an employee. They dont trust u in case. And the salary is very low than u think, no equal share of the tips. The cook is the dishwasher and also the cleaner. The management is poor. Dont waste your time in this place.
Pros
Cons
Short hours, less money, poor management, no staff
Worst place for work
Marketer (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON25 March 2019
They don't have any create food all frozen food. Even the soup. Dishwasher is enough to heat up the fozen food .Not a recommend place for work . Hire you as a cook treat you as garbage. Hard to get the salary from the newmarket location.
Pros
Newmarket location i didn't see any staffs eating.
Cons
Cooks has to wash the dishes and clean the floor in newmarket location
dishwasher
Dishwasher/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON16 September 2018
not a lot of hours, i was working 20 hours a week.
the owners are very understand and helpful.
great people to work with.
they are days they were very busy the next day is very slow.
we were always cleaning
Pros
great employees
Cons
no hours
Good People
server (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 August 2018
Keep in mind this is a franchise so each one is owned/managed by different people but the one in Toronto where I worked was pretty great. Friendly staff and customers and the owners are working as hard as anyone else.
Fast paced and friendly
Server (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ON8 July 2018
Very enjoyable keeps you on your feet and busy, staff is hard working and friendly, positive attitude, good service always, friendly customers, clean and good hours
Pros
make new friends, best manager, good food
Productive, fun and hard work at a breakfast restaurant
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON17 August 2016
Working at Sunnyside Grill is an enjoyable experience. In the kitchen and through service everyone works as a team to make sure our guest feel comfortable and welcome. The food we serve are both appealing and fun to make. I've also learned alot about the company and recipes we use to feature so our guest can try and experience new dishes. The most enjoyable part of my job are having conversations with my co-workers and our guests because it feels like a family based enviroment.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Short hours
it was ok for a frist job
dishwasher/ tanning waitress (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON15 August 2016
My overall rating working there is about a 3, because there was lots of drama going on between the co workers, shifts were always being changed, I wasn't making very much money there but it was also very hard to understand my boss because he didn't speak English very well.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
not enough hours
fun atmosphere and good people
server, busser, hostess (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON9 May 2016
a typical day at work was easy going but fast paced. Learned how to deal with many types of people and situations. Management was friendly and respectful.
Fast paced & very enjoyable to work at
SERVER (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON6 April 2016
Typical working day includes; many tasks that require you to keep a sharp memory. Very fast paced work during the busy hours on weekends for breakfast, however otherwise it is very casual simple work. Only thing I would criticise is the job positions usually end up doing more than they are required due to lack of job openings.
Pros
Free food while working & either fast or slow paced work
Cons
Long Hours & extra work is always given outside of your job position
A high-paced work environment with a great work staff and customer base
Customer Service/Server (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON3 March 2014
The Sunnyside Grill was a rewarding place to work. As a full-time server, I worked many hours during the week as well as on the weekends. On a typical week day I would be the only member of staff other than the kitchen staff; my duties included serving customers, bussing tables as well as washing dishes. At times this was problematic. For example, during a rush it was difficult to keep up with the dishes as well as all the tables. Although it was a difficult job, serving at the Sunnyside Grill came to be a gratifying experience as I came to fully appreciate the value of time management and good customer service. During the weekend however, we were fully staffed. The floor and kitchen staff worked well together and there were few conflicts between any of the workers.The management, however, was often neglectful and during the period of my employment management had changed. Although the new managers worked well the with staff, there was often miscommunication between the staff and the managers and though this was easily solved, the staff was often inconvenienced due to this lack of communication. Working with my coworkers and interacting with regular customers was the most enjoyable aspect of working at the Sunnyside Grill.
Pros
Great Hours
Cons
Understaffed
Fast paced environment with hard working unappreciated staff.
Chef (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON1 March 2013
Owner with poor business sense/practices. Micro management +++.
Keeps alternating percentage of "tip out" for self.
Regular practice of insulting hard working staff.
Practice of "selective scheduling" common.
Fun loving, hard working staff.
Pros
kitchen staff eats without charge.
Cons
owner micromanages staff, sends employees home mid shift and has elderly parents try to fill in!