Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre

hospitalpatientnurselearningunithealthvolunteerstaff

Fun and friendly environment

Featured review

Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre selected this as a representative review
Very accommodating staff, educators provided us didactic and orientation with our perceptors.Corporate orientation was provided too but through a zoom meeting.

screener

Pros

inclusive

Cons

Odette cancer center management

Insights into Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job

Overall good

They gave a system here, and you easily eeach out to management if you have concerns about work. I am really happy about the management and would gladly refer this hospital to y'all

Expectations and Management Terrible

one word : Run…….. I got fired 8 months in because they put additional shifts for me in the binder I had no clue about and said I “missed days “ on top of that the shift times were outside my availability……I was only a part time and my original shifts where 10-6pm on the weekends!…I came in on a shift I was covering and they fired me for missing days from that binder they scheduled me months in advanced I had no knowledge of ….

You have access to many scientists, research associates and postdoctoral fellows and MD doctors. you have clinical data and if you have an idea you can test on real clinical data.

Interesting place to work

Not micromanaged, wellness is prioritized. Lacks organization, have to constantly ask what is expected to do. Team members willing to help. Option to work from home

Not an ideal place to work

Too much of politics, expect no professional/personal growth. Very toxic working environment. Deduction from staff salaries for Christmas party expenses.

Pros

A solid company to work for. Benefits are great

Everything was great from management to the job itself. also great benefits. however, as an observer, pay not equal with the job description. Id still give it a go because Management was more than fair in treating its people. They commend and they also talk to you to work out issues if there are and they always want to try to understand.

Pros

Great benefits, Great Management

Cons

Pay could use some thinking

Competitive environment

This is a highly competitive and challenging place to work. It's fast paced and the environment I work in has a toxic culture. But I love the work I do so I stay. But not for long.

Not a very good place to work

I was not treated like a human when I worked at Sunnybrook health science centre. Very inhuman and especially the job being in a place like a hospital where there should be some kind of humanity and respect I am sorry not a place a would recommend for someone to work horrible experience.

Pros

Non

Cons

Disrespect

Excellence

Professional management, good co-workers, solid work-life balance, balanced work culture. Sunnybrook is about as good as it gets when it comes to having a good place for your 9-5.

Fast Paced, stressful and very competetive

Its a great place to work. Management supports for your growth in your career. But pay is less as per collective agreement. They wont credit for your degrees.

Great hospital. Terrible job

I worked as an observer for 1 year. We had to switch between 12 hour day shifts and 12 hour night shifts. It was exhausting. We got paid $15 an hour. I ended up working nights as I couldn’t handle the switching. It was terrible! No work life balance. You are a glorified babysitter and the nurses treat you like garbage. I got sent to emerg twice from being hurt by patients. You basically are stuck in a room with a combative patient. Someone with mental health issues or Alzheimer’s or recovering from surgery. You have to watch them and it’s great if they sleep but they mostly did not! It was exhausting and not worth it. Sunnybrook is an amazing hospital but the observer role should not be a job. Management was terrible. Don’t work as an observer.

Pros

Going home early because you got hurt

Cons

Long hours. Lack of sleep. No work like balance.

Good

Good, Helpful BusyGood patient careAlways helpful and care about everyoneNeed to work hardGreat team workGood boss and helpful colleagues Hours long but good benefit

Can't rate 5 stars

Sunnybrook itself is good place to work butI I worked under the Department of Medicine and the HR Department that services the DOM has serious issues that became more apparent after COVID. The job and my doctors were fine but I would not work under this HR service that they employ again. They were dishonest with me.

Great workplace environment with a supportive team!

Not many people can say that they enjoy their job, but I can!What makes this a great environment is the team. We all play a role and everyone does their part to assist, educate, and learn from one another.The PSP position is relatively easy; however, a 12-hour shift might not be suitable for everyone. The days are typically predictable depending on the unit you are in and given the pace of the environment, you will find it to be over quite quickly. Looking forward to growing with the company in different roles in the future.

Pros

Great team, decent breaks, nice manager, good hours.

Cons

12 hour shifts (con for some, but I prefer it)

very good hospital for placement

I only did 4 months of placement as RPN student but I loved it. Great place to learn and students are valued.

Pros

great teachers

Cons

far from downtown

Enjoyed my time working there

I enjoyed my time working at Sunnybrook. The best part about working there is the environment. There are a lot of nice staff members who will help you through the worst of days and everyone seems as though they care about their job and take the wellbeing of their fellow coworkers, patients and visitors very seriously. It was a pleasure to have worked there and there are many people who will treat you with respect and kindness. Health is wholistic and I think the staff and work culture here reflects this.

productive workplace

Busy environment. I learnt a great number of skills from various departments as a coop student. Everyone wants you to succeed. The most enjoyable part of the job was everyone was helpful.

Toxic

Very toxic nurse work environmentManagement doesn't care about you, just making money and running the unit like a businessMultiple labor board filingOverturn is super high

Pros

Regular pay, lots of learning, pts are nice

Cons

Nurses are treated w no respect or dignity

Loved sunnybrook

I have been working at Sunnybrook for a year now. It has been a good experience, people were nice and collaborative. Only thing about Sunnybrook is it's still a bit old system (e.g. paper charting for nurses ...)

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement