Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre

Canada263 reviews

Insights into Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Clear sense of purpose

Amazing place to work

Featured review

Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre selected this as a representative review
Great staff, very teamwork focused culture. Nursing and medical staff are very respectful of each other. Scheduling coordinator goes above and beyond to work with your personal schedule. Management approachable, professional and courteous. No complaints.

Difficult work environment!! Clique!! Lack of acknowledgment of experience!

Left due to stress of work environment and subsequent mental health issues. Work environment in not empathic, healthcare is a business now!! Experience costs more…

Pros

Made some wonderful friends, learned alot in 20 years

Cons

Some of the oncologists treatment of patients was deplorable

Collaboration type work, Good pay, stable work place. Very understanding environment for startup. And specifically they are award winning employer and they provide honorable benefits.

Not a good place to work

Senior MRI Technologists at Sunnybrook are drama queens. They bully other techs and, unfortunately, the management supports this attitude. They pay a bit more in comparison to other hospitals, but it is absolutely not worth it. would not recommend anyone to work here.

Pros

Higher salary

Cons

Toxic work enviornment

Terrible managers

The work environment is so toxic between coworkers and management. The management are not there to support you. They intimidate you and only care about themselves. After I left this place, I met so many others who have worked here or been here that felt the same way. I could go on about how horrible working here was but I won’t. Beware

Scheduling Disaster

The job overall was not hard nor was it easy and depending on the location of work there is a difference in work culture. The area where I worked was slower paced and the other department's staff were very nice and inclusive. Unfortunately, my own management and staff members were not so accomodating. Besides making demands that usually were impractical in nature, the schedule maker usually don't make the schedule in accordance to availability. I requested a couple of days off for personal appointments but instead was scheduled work. It was hard to believe that we had to find people to take our shifts even though we asked for these days off months in advance. Scheduling has been a lot better and improved after a lot of complaining however new a problem arose. I ended up losing all my shifts when I asked for accommodation to my schedule. They gave me an ultimatum, either I worked following their schedule or they would take me off the schedule altogether. I worked for over a year (being one of the first people to be hired for this new job position) and I felt like my time and dedication to this position meant nothing to them. At the end of my employement I felt the managers from other departments cared more for me than my own.

Pros

Some friendly staff, good experience

Cons

Scheduling problems and not accomodating to needs.

excellent place to work for professional development.

Provides educational opportunities for professional growth. A nurse can increase skill set with many different procedures and tasks.**********************

terrible place to work

Good learning hospital, good for experience, good place if you are a patientTerrible place to work, no appreciate, too many micro management, too many politics and favorites. Union was too weak. Special the new management she is from blood bank, treat Chemistry and other department really bad. She said" since chemistry has line, they has nothing to do" , if you speak up, then you are not team player. At SMC, the manager, more than 50% people bring her to HR, she still work, rude person.

Friendly atmosphere. Would recommend this workplace to anyone. Management was very helpful with progressing my career. The workplace culture was very good.

Sunnybrooker

Collaborative work environment, supportive management. The work is challenging and rewarding. Best part is seeing the impact of my work within my community.

Corporate Instructor/Support Analyst - Information Services department

The information services division at Sunnybrook is not in good condition. The administration is bad, and they are very disorganized. The management is subpar. The pay and benefits in the information services division are awful, as well. Management needs to do a better job to improve the situation. Management in information services division are not that responsive though. Their ways are not working.

Poor management

My manager for some unknown reason treated myself with an indignant manner upon my return from a granted leave he endorsed. It was highly suspicious his treatment given before my leave we had a very amicable relationship.

Stable place to work with good supports

Lots of opportunities to learn lots of different skills. the manager is very supportive. As a nurse, it’s often difficult to attend the education sessions provided.

Team work and Work Ethics are excellent

Schedule, taking phone calls and greet patients on a daily basis. I have learned to use computer, fax machine, scanners and multi-line telephone system. My time management has been so far very good, i learned to be flexible and use of my time wisely. Positive work culture exists. The hardest part of the job is when a patient's file is missing and the most enjoyable part is when everyone is part of the team whether your position is secretary or receptionist.

Pros

Free lunch on Admin Day

Cons

When surgeons cancel their clinic schedule

A good starting point

I worked as a patient observer in the summer. I am actually a nursing student so this was good experience. Minimum wage pay but ok since most of the time you are sitting on the chair doing nothing. But some days can be harder than others such as when you have to sit in isolation and when the pt is difficult. Every day is different. Benefits, unionized, and HOOP pension

Very good management

I have worked with one of the most fantastic teams at Sunnybrook. I would strongly recommend this workplace to anyone. I would have never left this place but I got a very good career opportunity.

Pros

Respectable and relaxed working environment

Cons

Remote working is not encouraged

Not a good place to work

Look elsewhere for better opportunities. Very poor management and no recognition of your work. Expectations are lots. Staff also fight too much and management fuels the fire for their benefit. Environment is like divide and rule.

Nice place to spend your summer

Working at Sunnybrook in the summer is like working in a park. They also have excellent food services at the hospital along with biweekly courtyard BBQ!

Pros

Nice environment

Nice place to work

Fast paced, challenging work environment but allows for close collaboration with members of the interdisciplinary team. Not a lot of flexibility with hours so some difficulty with work-life balance but rewarding place to work

Awesome workplace!

One of the best hospitals I've worked in. Labour and union laws are adhered to. Open door policy makes for easy communication.There's respect shown all around, it's like one big family.

Busy environment with great people doing really fantastic work. Highly recommend. Many departments within the hospital provides the opportunity to try a new role if you outgrow your old one.

Pros

Busy and fast paced environment

Cons

Location. There's no good time to be travelling on Bayview.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre with