Sundial Growers Employee Reviews

High turn over rate, expanding to quickly, poor management
Lead grower (Current Employee) –  Olds, AB11 May 2019
Sundial was good in the beginning. After it got too big the culture changed and the lack of knowledge and organization skills on behalf of management became clearer.
Set backs daily, redo work daily or last mintue change of plans. Rooms completely forgotten about for weeks by management and left to over grow.
Very crazy atmosphere everyday. Most people report never getting positive feedback and feel like they're "1 in a million robots".Doing pointless tasks for weeks on end.

They are also trying to expand to quickly with out knowing what to really expand. Takes 15mins to get into olds facility due to lack of parking and needing to park then walk 10 minutes to building and sometimes 20 mins to get out of the building for lunch. No break rooms, have a depressing trailer outside of the main building some can eat in, no coffee either. Just 1- 1 hour lunch per day.
Fire workers quite easily, kind of feels like the new oilfeild. Always someone willing to take your job.
Feels like they hire anyone and everyone despite knowledge or lack thereof. Just want worker bees.
It's run like a factory and not agriculture facility.

If you want a real genuine experience and to take care of the plants like they're your own, go to a smaller grow operation..all the plants here you have no connection to. You're set on one task say "pulling leaves" for weeks on end. Well another crew will be set on cloning for weeks on end..you don't really grow the plants. Just one stage of the growth....but that's a factory. If you're ok with that then this is the place for you. But if you're an actual
  more... horticulturist, you might feel disconnected and not as satisfied as you could be.  less
Pros
Give you shares, decent benefits
Cons
Low wages, no break rooms, high turn over rate
Loving My Experience at Sundial!
Advisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 April 2019
Sundial is a great company to work for! We are rapidly growing and continuously improving.
It is a breath of fresh air to work with those that believe in making this the most positive culture and experience we can, while working at such a fast pace.
I can't wait to see where we go from here!
Avoid This Hellhole
Grower (Former Employee) –  Olds, AB21 April 2019
Workers are treated with disrespect at the Olds, Alberta facility. There is virtually no appreciation shown to employees and the workplace atmosphere is overwhelmingly negative. Positive feedback is almost nonexistent. I wish I had never accepted a job at this hellhole.
Pros
Some co-workers are nice while others have no social skills.
Cons
Supervisors have poor people skills and are constantly on workers’ backs.
Destined for failure
Labourer (Current Employee) –  Olds, AB10 April 2019
The amount of poor planning is almost too much to properly outline. This company has seemingly hit the ground running without tying its shoes. Daily set backs due to inadequate management. From the top to the bottom this place seems to be expanding without even knowing what they need to exapand. The amount of waste this place produces from Health and Safety red tape is absolutely disgusting. When work is finally going through with a plan the plan will be changed shortly which discourages motivation. Tasks have to be done over and over and redone and redone again because of terrible forethought. It's hard to imagine this place will be around in the next 5 years.
Pros
A new industry to learn and be a part of
Cons
Terrible management
Loving it here
HR Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 April 2019
Sundial is a breath of fresh air. It is growing very quickly so it makes for a fast-paced work environment and there are some challenging problems to solve for. I thrive in an environment where people matter and we get at things done, so Sundial is a great fit for me. The Executive team knows where we are headed. Our CEO is truly committed to our people and products in a way that I haven't seen enough in my career. I'm having a lot of fun and have learned a ton. Every day I feel I add value. A 5-star rating for sure.
Pros
People matter, continuous improvement mindset, career growth
Cons
Fast-paced, growth environment isn't for everyone
Great place to work!
Team Lead, Talent Acquisition (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 March 2019
Sundial is an amazing place to work. The company is growing very rapidly, creating lots of opportunities for employees to grow and develop. There is great energy and excitement among the employees as many employees are passionate about their work. Sundial provides a phenomenal environment for anyone who wants to be a part of the building stages of an organization.
Best company to work for
Manager (Current Employee) –  Olds, AB24 February 2019
After being with the company for over a year, it is amazing to see how far they have come and how fast they keep moving. The flagship facility in Olds is amazing. Since moving to shifts early in the year things are working very well. Clear roles and responsibilities in Cultivation and growing great plants in a great environment. Their new organization structure works very well and they do a lot of helpful training. All the people are very nice and management is always present and helpful. Great opportunity for rapid career development with many and quick promotions for those that work hard and well. Highly recommended!
Pros
Fastest growing cannabis company in Canada
Cons
Not for slackers
Weak Management
Cultivation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rocky View, AB18 December 2018
Great Culture amongst the worker bees, good eye on differentiation, but the company is being put together by folks who seem to have no regard for organizational structure, vision, mission, and values.
Managers promoted based on ? Lousy training program. If you don't ask questions and just do what you're told by QA, you'll fit in fine. Ask questions about safety or process improvement and be labeled as a troublemaker. One of the most unsafe working environments I've ever worked in.

QA rules with an iron hand and doesn't appreciate being questioned.
Pros
The worker bees are some of the best people I've ever met.
Cons
Lousy and inexperienced management team.
Management is a disaster
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, AB7 May 2018
The best thing about this place is the people. A backwards thinking company that does not communicate with its employees. Very challenging and unhappy place to be.
Toxic from the top down
Greenhouse Technician (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, AB23 December 2017
A typical day at work would include having your daily plan changed based on a multitude of poorly managed issues and events. The lunch room would be divided based on which group you belonged to. Witness executives arguing with managers.

I learned that a companies culture is defined from the top down

Management used high school politics and was unable to provide anyone with proper direction

Workplace culture was the worst I can imagine a work place being, without trying to sound unprofessional, it was as close to Game of Thrones as real life can get. Scheming and backstabbing seemed to be encouraged.

The hardest part of the job was feeling the culture of the building suck the passion from within me

The most enjoyable part was being in contact with the plants every day, however it got to the point where not even that was enough to keep me sane
Pros
Occasional Pizza lunches
Cons
Poor pay, few breaks, long hours, lack of respect from management, worst communication ever