Suncor Employee Reviews

Good Company to work for.
Various-Maintenance/Reliability/Engineering (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB8 February 2018
Good company to work for. I was a Petro-Canada employee and very few concerns arose during the merger. Good transition where best practices of both were adopted. Post merger, streamlining of procedures and processes was undertaken under the Operational Excellence initiative.
As in any company, there is some deadwood and there are some ineffectual managers and directors but overall senior management has a good grasp of what is required to move the company forward in these tough times.
Pros
Good pay and benefits. Challenging jobs and variety.
Cons
Some long hours but that is not unexpected.
Good professional experience at Suncor Energy
Reliability Engineering Internship (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB26 January 2018
Suncor was a good place to obtain industry experience as a Junior Engineer.

The tasks vary daily, which keeps the job diverse. The work culture is very dynamic, and it requires a steep learning curve for all newcomers. The team is very diverse, and is a good place to experience a wide variety of personalities in the workplace.

It is good to obtain field experience, since the plant is large, and the knowledge that is potentially obtained form it is substantial.
Pros
Excellent learning experience, both technical and professional.
Cons
The management chain can get heavy at times
I had amazing coworkers and everyday provided a new challenge
Maintenance Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB25 January 2018
A typical day at work included a lot of tasks that needed to be accomplished in a short amount of time so it was very challenging but my coworkers were very helpful with this. I learned how to use Excel in multiple contexts, I enjoyed the atmosphere working on site. Everyone was very hardworking and friendly.
Great place to get experience.
Reliability Intern (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 January 2018
Large company with lots of support and people to meet and learn from. Provides stand up desks and very comfortable office chairs for their downtown office.
Pros
Lots of people to meet
Cons
Stuck in an office
Oil and gas
Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB20 January 2018
What I learned from Suncor was also the hardest part, learning to put up with different rules due to it being a union company. Still, the most enjoyable part, was the operating of equipment and meeting new people. I found the workplace culture wasn't overly friendly. A typical day for me there was to do my work without asking too many questions because they either weren't answered or I felt dumb for asking and a few times the operators were too cranky to answer and would rather yell at me. Management,,,,
Misrepresentation of a Caring Culture
Maintenance Planner (Current Employee) –  Fort Hills, AB18 January 2018
Sleep depravation during your shift
Sink or swim culture
Mangers truly lack leadership skills
Human resources department does not represent the employees at all
Lack of Process
Fly in Fly out is the best part of working for Suncor however their bussing and charter flight scheduling is pathetic
Pros
Fifo
Cons
Long hours, poor mamagement, process not followed or understood and Suncor does not keep their promises
Great workplace atmosphere
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Port Moody, BC17 January 2018
I worked as a summer coop student in the lab and I loved working here. My staff were very friendly and helpful throughout the training process and continued to be very kind throughout the term.
Horrible place to work
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB16 January 2018
Everyone was out to take one another job or to get you fired. Never had any support from peers. Leadership was very poor or nonexistent. Would never work there again.
Pros
Days off
Cons
Overall great place to work
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 January 2018
Great place to work. Fun and productive work environment. However, there's no job security regardless of how much you make and how you perform. Very political corporate culture!
Pros
Salary & Benefits
Cons
No job security
Good Company
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB8 January 2018
Remote location
Bus transportation provided
8 hrs shift includes lunch
Good salary, vacation and benefits
Suncor Energy Inc provided professional training
Pros
Bus transportation, 8 hrs shift
Cons
Remote location
Great Company
Contract Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 January 2018
Enjoyed my time working here, lots of training and room for advancement. They invest in their employees, great work atmosphere and work/ life balance is strongly encouraged.
process operator
Upgrading Operator (Hydro Treating) (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB28 December 2017
work environment needs improvement, upper manangement is too blind to see what is going on with their company. Pay is good but work environment sucks
Pros
wages, lots of overtime
Cons
aggressive co workers
Good
Commissioning Engineer (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB18 December 2017
Contract Operator, good accommodations, procedures are slightly over the top. Human Resource hiring methods are questionable. All in all I give Suncor a 5/7.
Great place to learn the trade
Procss Operator (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB16 December 2017
nothing but the best

The people here are great and there is plenty of resources around to make people succeed. Flexible schedule make it manageable when trying to get time off and make time for family. Benefits and pay is exceptional. and plenty of opportunity for advancement
Pros
The people here are great and there is plenty of resources around to make people succeed, Flexible schedule make it manageable when trying to get time off and make time for family, Benefits and pay is exceptional
Cons
fort mcmurray is not where my family would like to lay down roots, other then that I have nothing but great things to say about suncor
A great place to work
Project Manager, PCI Compliance /PCI SME (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 December 2017
A great and fun place to work. A lot of respect for SME and great culture. Relaxed and fun place sometimes. Project methodology is thorough and can be frustrating sometimes.
Good company with great safety culture
Reliability Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB4 December 2017
I enjoyed the technical aspects of the job and the focus on promoting a workplace with 0 injury. Management was good, although reorganizations do occur every few years.
Great
Project Controls Engineering Student (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 December 2017
Great company to work for.
Lots of resources and opportunities for growth.
Everyday is a new day at Suncor filled with challenges and success.
(y)(y).
Pros
Great
Good
Maintenance planner (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB30 November 2017
Highs and lows. Good and bad. Ups and downs. Ins and outs.

What do you want me to say?

I'm no longer working there due to "economic downturn" but it was good.
Suncor is a fun place to work.
Extraction Warehouse Unit Leader (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB22 November 2017
It is a fun place to work on a daily basis.
There is always lots to learn.
The management is inexperience.
The culture is safety first.
the hardest part of the job is to get there.
The most enjoyable part is working with your guys to complete a challenging task.
Pros
Well compensated
Cons
Management needs to learn their job
Millwright
Millwright Transfield Services (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB22 November 2017
Great company to work with, great qith safety issues provides transportation to and from work, great communication with bosses, high comfort zone in all dimensions

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Suncor. Our community is ready to answer.