Suncor

Engineer19 reviews
Canada19 reviews

mcmurraysafetyoilcalgaryfortcampcontractorsite

Amazing Company

Nice Benefits! The company pays pretty well and the overall culture is amazing. They put a lot of focus on health and safety. Year end bonus is also quite satisfactory.

Overworked and Underpaid

Engineers are non-overtime eligible and the management openly takes advantage of this by assigning more work than can be done in a typical work week, calling during evenings and weekends for “emergency” (not actual emergency) support, and booking meetings all day preventing work from being done. Management will talk of promotions and opportunities but they seem to only happen for those who either threaten to quit or are promoted to less interesting parts of the plant. Also very cheap even with commodity prices back to cyclical highs. Uninspiring and demotivating leadership.

Pros

Job Security (in Fort Mac ONLY)

Cons

Underpaid, poor prioritization and decision making, soul sucking

Insights into Suncor

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Fair pay for job
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

Frequent management changes, too much management resources with lesser working employees

Process oriented company so most of the time goes into developing/improving processes and you end up with no time in actual productive work.Middle Managers typically rely/demand data/presentations to show higher management of some penny saved or something improved so that they can get promotions (typically 1 - 2 yr) however they make poor decisions that has significant impact to quality and reliability of plant.No Growth opportunities for deserving candidates. All underserving candidates get into management ladder through relationship building as they donot know any other work and merit order is left behind to employees where they stuggle either to improve career or maintain work-life balance.

Good place but oil price changes a huge risk

Overall a top company. I joined at top level bringing new energies and focus. But without any indication nor warning I was let go - I think any release based on performance or other reasons should have open documentation and not hidden …

Pros

9/80 gives every othe friday off

Cons

Big company and knowing how to navigate for a new employee will take time

Terrible leadership

Lots of talking and poor doing, politics, terrible culture, incompetent leadership, lack of well defined goals, lack of solid follow ups, no people management. Benefit system is good, but designed to trap employees for years ahead - like bonus you are allowed to withdraw after 3 years from receiving them.

Benefits

Cons

Terrible leadership

Avoid Fort McMurray

I don't recommend joining Suncor Baseplant if you are young unless you are unable to get anything else. The industry is not as attractive as it once was and won't be returning. Due to the decline Suncor is cutting costs in all ways through massive layoffs, no bonuses, no relocation support, or raises etc. No investment in creating happier employees, dirty smelly offices, low morale, pay not competitive for cost of living, no career advancement out of region, passive aggressive colleagues, dishonest management are just a few of the cons of joining FMM. The culture is poor here as employees are overworked. There is a lack of proper training due to high turnover because people are miserable and choose to leave. Daily commute to site will add a couple of hours to your already long work day and will be even longer when the weathers bad. Colleagues don't seem passionate about what they do, are uninspiring, and the workload is unevenly distributed.

Pros

Pension

Cons

Low morale in FMM, pay not competitive for the high cost of living, no career advancement outside of region, passive aggressive colleagues, poor management and training

Great company

Graduate Researcher • Conducted research on mathematical modeling and advanced control of linear and nonlinear, small and large-scale systems • Developed and debugged automation software to generate, transform, and solve linear and nonlinear optimization problems • Simulated and validated the process flowsheet for an industrial manufacturing plant in collaboration with company sponsor • Performed sensitivity analysis followed by economic optimization using genetic algorithms and enumeration • Implemented Monte Carlo simulation to quantify the impact of uncertain parameters on performance of the optimal operating condition • Published 2 refereed papers in engineering journals to demonstrate technical novelties and contributions

Great company - Not so great industry

Suncor as a company is amazing. Only draw back is you will be pigeonholed to oil sands if you go to their oil sands operations. Work life balance is not there. Too much work .. to many issues.

grate

grate place to work and very good people to work for and will tell othere people about this job and would go back at anytime this is the best place I have worked out west

fun place to work with lots of potential

Suncor is a great workplace with lots of potential for career advancement. you have the ability to learn new skills every time and rotate in different positions on shift based on your needs and plant demands.

Overall a good company to work with but not very dependable

As I do not have much experience with Suncor and my job was rotating between as and when and what is the urgent. So infact I am not able to judge the company work culture justifiably. Although management and few colleagues seems to helpful but since everyone was busy in commissioning activities which was of coarse most important so there was little chance of learning. However I learnt a lot during my short stint that's what I can say in the nut shell as I was let go without any proper notice but probably that was the need of the hour for the company as it did the same for many others like me, Hardest part was too many formalities going on the site as it was middle of harshest winter I ever faced loaded with coverall, parka, touk, helmet, goggles, smoke detector, radioset, kunny bag, thick gloves etc. Frankly speaking I could not enjoy my job a bit due too much of confusion around the emergencies etc.

Pros

Free flight, free lodging and boarding, food and exercise rooms and reasonable salary

Cons

Long hours, too many formalities during site visit, which needs lot of self motivation and energy of a bull

Good Company

Remote location Bus transportation provided 8 hrs shift includes lunch Good salary, vacation and benefits Suncor Energy Inc provided professional training

Pros

Bus transportation, 8 hrs shift

Cons

Remote location

Great company to work for

Good place to work with competitive wages. A lot of equipment to work on which gives you a lot of experience with different systems. Lots of bonuses.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Too many hoops to jump through to get work done

Fun and good

I started doing online training modules for power engineering. Co-workers were very respectful and kind. We worked as a team in the plant site. I maintained daily operations of equipment.

Great Company

I was a student operator at Suncor Firebag. Great company to work for! Good working environment, shift schedule,crew and pay.

Na

Long Days at work but the money made up for them i learned a lot that they don't teach in class management are great people

Great place to work and really enjoyed my internship here. Management is great, the work environment is great, and there is a lot of room to grow and develop your skills.

fast-paced environment, helpful mentors

Excellent work experience in fort mcmurray, helpful coworkers, perfect environment to learn and grow as an aspiring mechanical engineer

Pros

free accomodations in the city, provided transportation

Review

Good shift and good pay. More focus on production over safety, change in management affect worker morale

Pros

salary and shift

Cons

focus on production over safety

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Suncor. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement