Suncor Employee Reviews

High pay and morale yet heavy on top
Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 February 2019
Excellent benefits, pay, bonus and stocks option. Lot of opportunities still exist to trim the heavy upper management staff from Directors upwards. Few disgruntled senior officers mismanage the team yet senior staff ignore the meritorious staff at times. This's because of the cumbersome performance management system; lot of opportunities exist to simplify and minimize time spent on it by the employees. Overall good resource to advance one's career because of diverse business units and lot of well experienced folks.
Pros
Excellent pay and benefits
Cons
Overcrowded executive level positions
Over all Suncor was a great company tp work for
EH&S Advisor (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB18 October 2018
Each day was a learning experience for the different types of work scopes being complete. A normal day consisted of conducting field inspections permit audits facilitate meetings and attend management meetings, field level risk assessments (FLRA) reviews.

Over all the safety and workplace culture was above average most of the time. The most challenging part of the job was the new systems Suncor was trying to pilot and implement for this specific project.

I enjoy doing what i do so it is hard to pinpoint it down to one part but working in the field with the different craft was most enjoyable
Pros
Working with the many different craft for the project
Cons
When Suncor started to down size and eliminate certain benefits that were offered prior
Learning Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 December 2018
Suncor was a good place to work. Their systems and offices were up to date and a pleasure to work with. I enjoyed the people I worked with other than one manager who micro-managed the team. Compensation was above average especially with the time off. I wouldn’t hesitate to work for Suncor again.
Pros
Pay and benefits; nice office
Cons
Managers can stifle advancement
Good and great place to work.
Snr. Project Controls Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB11 January 2019
Stable and reliable organization. Good leadership, good competitive salary and benefits. Job security and growth prospects. Good management and unique job culture.
Great work life balance and shift work. Excellent team culture
Maintenance Business Support Senior Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Firebag Fort McMurray Alberta14 August 2018
A typical day would be 14 hours with daily team meetings to review work tasks with employees, daily Management meetings, running daily reports and reviewing status of work completed by the team. Verifying daily timesheets and sending reports to the contractors. Troubleshooting issues with other departments when applicable. Since this was a new admin team we were eager to accept new tasks, so we were continually learning new scopes of work and collaborating with difference departments. Workplace culture was a family environment because we all worked in camp for 14 days and also socialize with our team players after work. The most difficult part of the job would be communicating a weak job performance to an employee or having to fire an employee. Most enjoyable part of the job was collaborating with other departments and learning new tasks.
Pros
Great salary and benefits, excellent team members easy to work with them
Cons
Long shift 14 days - also flew across Canada after shift was over
Bullies in management roles emphatically supported
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 September 2018
Suncor is a great company overall BUT the culture allows for isolated management awfulness to ensue. My boss humiliated any employee within reach. He was afraid of anyone who challenged his ideas and felt no shame in belittling people to the point of mental breakdown. Existing processes, culture and senior management were supportive of this behaviour.

I'm out now, but lost almost two years of income as a result! Outrageous. If you find yourself in a similar circumstance, don't give in like me. Take them court.
Pros
So many great people and challenging work
Cons
A few absolutely horrible people managers are sheltered
Contractor Expereince
Wellsite Supervisor/Drilling Consultant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 January 2019
Suncor was good place to work if you were a direct hire, but as a contractor they did not treat the employees as well and it was harder to make advancements.
Cons
Long hours and felt 2nd place to employees that were direct hires
Good money, benefits......to rise you need to suck up and not question Management.
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB13 November 2018
over the top with safety to the point of crippling productivity. To rise in the company you need to be a "yes" person. Do not question management. Policies and procedures blanket every move you need to make.
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Employee disengagement
Productive and a fun place to work
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB6 December 2018
A good place to work, the management was good. They have people from diverse cultures, and it was fun working with employees. A typical day at work was not much because it was a part time job.
Pros
Easy work
Cons
Not enough money because it was part time.
Training Admin, SCM, Expeditor, Planner
SCM Planner (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB27 August 2018
We were treated as family by the managment. Safety first is the main concern for everyone as part of the workplace culture. I enjoyed working and learned a lot as I was given an oppotunity to have my weaknesses to be my strenght. Also learned to be more knowledgeable in SAP and other other jobs.
Pros
good benefits and been recognized.
Cons
Can't say anything wrong with Suncor
Great place for a summer student
Credit Risk Analyst Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 July 2018
This is a large company with good benefits and lots of opportunities for summer students. Great management and work life balance. Would recommend a role here.
Large company with lots of room for advancement
E & I Maintenance Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort Hills, AB11 August 2018
Salary is fairly good. Benefits are quite good. Bonus structure is really good, especially once you move up. Many different options for advancement. There are good managers and bad managers, but if you get a bad one, hopefully you can find another position. Work is not very technical and can be a little boring.
Pros
Great bonuses
Cons
Boring work
Great money but terrible to employees
Electrical & Instrumentation (Former Employee) –  Base Plant28 August 2018
Used to be an amazing place to work. Was like a second family. All new management was brought in and all of a sudden it didn't matter how long you were there, how hard you worked or what you did for the company. Work life balance was taken away and job insecurities were introduced.
Excellant Work Teams
EHS Advisor (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB3 December 2018
A great place to work with every from management to contract craft have a great working relationship. Workers new to site are pleasantly surprised to learn there is not "class system" we are one team with the common goal of working safely and productively. If you are a safe worker with a "professional work ethic", you will be welcomed here.
Pros
Excellant camps with great ammenities.
Cons
Uncertainty of job stability.
Very good services
Trend Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray11 October 2018
The organization is about the best in Oil and Gas Industry
I will continue to recommend that qualified individuals are encouraged to take on positions in the Management and contune to encourage diversity.
I will recommend we encourage a full department for Research purposes which will encourage academicians to contribute more to the neconmy
Pros
Great company in Oil and Gas industry
Cons
Research and Trainig very important
Enjoyable job with room to advance
Heavy Haul Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB17 May 2018
Typical day was operating safely in the oil sands by completing your computer assigned loads and requests. I learned how to operate the world's largest dump trucks in the most extreme weather conditions-kept you on your toes! Training was provided and management was positive in providing support to improve the safety environment for employees. The hardest part of the job was when your truck broke down and you had to wait for another truck to come up--this seldom happened. My regret is quitting my job!!!
Pros
Best paycheck !
Cons
Very good employee freindly an d employee suportive company
Cost Controls Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 July 2018
One of the best company in Canada. Good professional management company. Lot of benefits, good working time, Good camp facility. I love to work more years in Suncor
Pros
Free camp
Cons
Safe place to earn and learn.
Construction Coordinator / Project lead (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB11 July 2018
My personal belief is that Suncor's commitment to safety is what makes it an attractive place to work. Working safely is not only a persons right but is contingent on continued employment on Suncor sites.

It can be a fast paced environment but stymied at times due to work permits being delayed and or plant upsets which you quickly learn that it is simply part of the environment.
Suncor offers and encourages employees take advantage of the opportunity to learn and grow while gainfully employed, not only as a professional but individual also.
The multi-cultural work force ensures you will have an opportunity to learn about other countries and their cultures.

All in all a great place to work and learn, if you receive an opportunity to work at Suncor, take it.
Pros
Terrific savings plan matched to 10%.
Cons
Change is a constient.
planner
Mechanical Planner (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB7 January 2019
lots of people from all over the world, lots of different cultures to adapt to, great pension available, lots of politics, bussing to work, lots of training available.
fun place to work with lots of potential
Power Engineer Student (Former Employee) –  Fort McKay, AB18 November 2018
Suncor is a great workplace with lots of potential for career advancement.
you have the ability to learn new skills every time and rotate in different positions on shift based on your needs and plant demands.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Suncor. Our community is ready to answer.