Sun Life Financial Employee Reviews

Medical Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON15 January 2018
Excellent company to work for. Many opportunities for advancement, lots of support and for the most part, a positive environment. Overall a great place to work.
Not great to start out.
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC13 January 2018
Great company to work for if you have an established book, yet commission structure is among the lower ones in the industry. You pay to work there, can owe them money for putting business thru.
But you do learn to sell and work hard, no other choice.
Mixed feelings
Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON10 January 2018
I worked for SunLife for a total of 13 years, and although I learned a lot and made many great friendships, it was a high stress job for me, and the demands only grew, making it harder and harder to find work/life balance. It was a great provider of benefits, but the work became mundane and too stressful.
Typical day
Licensed Advisor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 January 2018
Prepared paperwork for signature
Culture was sales oriented
Hardest part of job - volume of paperwork
Most enjoyable part of job - helping clients
Change is good...
Process Consultant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON7 January 2018
Great opportunity to learn new things and help make improvements to everyday work for underwriting team members. Lengthy projects at times due to management making changes mid-stream. Overall, change is always good.
Pros
New opportunities to learn
Cons
Project Managers not understanding goal sometimes.
Good company to work for but...
Underwriting (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 January 2018
Good company to work for but they are currently undergoing some restructures and management changes. I would still recommend this great organization but just be open to changes.
Pros
Co-workers supportive of each other to make sure work handled fairly.
Work Life Balance
EA to EVP, Corporate Strategy & Global Marketing (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 January 2018
I have learned patience, remain calm, positivity, work as a team.
Workplace culture is very team oriented, comfortable work place setting, easy going nature and work life balance.
Most enjoyable part of the job is well we all work together, a lot of laughs, great communication and everyone works hard.
Pros
Able to work from home, if need be.
Cons
Can be longer hours.
Innovative
Senior Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 January 2018
Opportunities to grow and advance if that is what you are looking for. Being part of a great team, constantly working to enhance client engagement. For a large company you are not just a number.
Structured in training and work, working as a team, forward looking.
Application Analyst (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON2 January 2018
Sun life approach is professional. Training plans are structured and up to date. Training and employee advancement is always encouraged. The office is within walking distance to my home.
Pros
Flex hours
Challenging yet rewarding
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC29 December 2017
Working for Sun Life opened many doors and eventually led me to studying International Business in Paris. I would highly recommend them. The business atmosphere is up beat and if you ever require help, someone is there to do so.
Hard work for Great pay
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC19 December 2017
Sun Life Financial is one of the top insurance companies in the world. It's great for a career. But there is not much work-life balance. If you're willing to work hard, you can find your way.
Pros
Good Salary, Great Training, Room for Advancement
Cons
Hard Work, More Work, Stiff Competition
no way
Mail Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON18 December 2017
I worked for this company for 3.5 yrs and I was never so happy to get out of there..I was bullied by a co-worker and not believed or supported by my manager. Stress is very high.
Pros
benefits right away
Cons
stressful
Overall great place to work, they invest in their talent
Senior Process consultant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 December 2017
loved my time there, they provided me with many opportunities for growth and success. The culture and atmosphere are positive and the size of the organization makes it easy to move within.
Similar to Other Insurance Companies
Production Support Coordinator Intern (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON11 December 2017
The work they do is interesting, but the culture is very similar to other companies in the financial/insurance industry. In addition, they are a bit inefficient.
Worst company to work for
Finance Executive (Former Employee) –  Thornbay Alora Alberta10 December 2017
Sunlife are criminal liars!!!
I worked with them for 15 years!!! We hire doctors and pay them to write false medical reports so that we can cut the benefits to our paying clients, force them back to work so that we can continue to deduct percentages from their pay check, this was my department I worked in and I couldn't continue to work in this environment any longer. How this company is still operating without a serious investigation is beyond me
Pros
Lots of money, bonuses and incentives
Cons
Losing your sense of self and morality
Walk the Talk
North American Food Services Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 December 2017
Hard to give a high level review as this is a dynamic company with many different positions and types of employment. Many employees have been there 20 years or longer.
Day at Work
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 December 2017
Typically, I have to deal with customer tenants of Sun Life Financial, anyone ranging from regular tenants to CEOs, in terms of giving them access to the building, programming their personal access cards, etc. There are difficult people to deal with but at the end of the day they are only people and we are here to do a job. The most enjoyable part of this job is meeting new people and learning new things everyday. Being exposed to a professional business work environment, I am able to pick up little things on how to become a part of a business going forward in my career.
Pros
Meeting new people, Learning about the business work environment
Cons
Variable hours
Great job
Financial Security Consultant (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC8 December 2017
Great job, great people, great philosophy..great place to work, Working here has been great...I am still young and still looking for more opportunities.
Professional and Fun
Call center agent, (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON7 December 2017
This was a really professional environment that trains the employee to push themselves to the utmost best. the hardest part was coping with the longest hours. The most enjoyable part was working in the friendly environment and talking with customers
great remunaration
Financial Security Advisor (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC6 December 2017
Great place to work, great team, great company. I really recommend this career to anyone who is a true entrepreneur. you have got to put in some work. Prospect, prospect, and prospect. If you can do that, you will be just fine.
Pros
great mullah
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sun Life Financial. Our community is ready to answer.