Sun Life Financial Pay & Benefits reviews

Good Benefits
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON30 May 2018
Sun Life focuses on employee development but not much opportunity to move up the latter. You are just a number. The people are great to work with except management.
Pros
Benefits and Salary
Cons
No work/life balance and poor management
Sun Life Financial Advisor
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON21 May 2018
I've been with the company for 3 years and I made the best decision to move from a major bank. The compensation provided is above average provided that I continue to keep my activities consistent. I'm able to build my own client base and that explains why the payout for every plan I set up is fairly generous. Most importantly the culture and the support at the Scarborough Financial Centre is outstanding. Everyone is treated like family and the management team is unlike no other leadership team I have experienced in the past. They give it their all to ensure that everyone is supported.
Pros
Great culture at the Scarborough Financial Centre, Generous up front compensation plus residual income, Build own client base, guaranteed payout when we leave the role or retire, Flexibility, Work/life balance
Cons
Work long hours, lots of paperwork for Wealth transactions
Decent place to work
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 April 2018
I was only there on contract. Overall, seems like a decent place to work for. I hear the company has good benefits, a plus for a full time position. Nice new downtown building.
Pros
free coffee and tea
Horrible company
Life Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 April 2018
The environment is what makes a great office so when you work with a great team and you get along with your co-workers all is great but corporate wise this company is one of the worst. The calls I've received from clients and previous employees who are unable to receive benefits was atrocious.

Would rather work with Manulife or Primerica, when considering other institutions.
Changed a lot in 8 years
Digital production associate (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC28 March 2018
When I was first hired the department was new and nobody knew how it would evolve over time. The standards have been raised, it is now a job for younger people with high quotas and very strict attention to details.
Pros
Great team
Cons
Never see the sun again
Good culture
Advisor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON20 March 2018
Running your own business, are responsible for all aspects of the job.

Very long hours. Can be very rewarding if willing to learn and put the time and effort in (60 + hours/week)
Pros
run your own business, make own hours, unlimited earning potential
Cons
100% commission, you will always be working!
Robotic culture
Bilingual Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC19 March 2018
Poor management. Work culture is too robotic. No place for serious advancement. Excellent pay and benefits for the quantity of work you will be doing.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Breaks are timed to the second
High stress job
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 March 2018
Lots of perks and incentives and bonuses for new advisors. Good for the first year, it gets harder. Not good for single income households. High pressure high stress job. Lots of studying continuesly.
awesome company to work with
SR. B2B CONSULTANT (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 March 2018
a company which really take care of its employee, in terms of pay, benefits and bouns, the workplace is full of positive energy and opportunity. management really allow you make a perfect balance between personal and professional life.
I work for an Advisor at Sun Life
Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 March 2018
It can be a great job if you get a good advisor. If you have a bad advisor, it'll be a horrible job. There are no benefits (unless your advisor pays for your health plan and the Sun Life Personal Health Insurance product is awful. There's no employee matching or company paid benefits (unless your advisor is big enough that they can afford that).
Pros
It's a lax environment.
Cons
No benefits. No job security. No employee matching.
Great people to work with
Insurance Advisor (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines12 March 2018
it was a struggle for the first year. To become successful at this company requires a lot of your time and effort. You get what you put in. If you are a social person with experience in sales, this company may a be a good fit for you
Pros
Make your own hours
Cons
Straight commission with clawbacks
Great Company
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Canada, Montreal27 February 2018
Great management, surrounded by professionals and respectful staff.
Overall great environment, friendly and kind. High end company to work for with great benefits.
Pros
Overall perfect work culture
Great company to work for
Investment Fund Finance Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 February 2018
In overall, Sun Life is a great company to work for if you are not picky about the salary. salary is not that great. Packages are good. Great management and culture.
warm fun great place to work
Financial Center Administrator (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON2 February 2018
I felt like I as a part of a family. Loved my job. Liked being able to do the power point presentations. Being taken out for lunch. Benefits and Salary were great.
Customer service rep
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON24 January 2018
Great benefits, great people.
Less than amazing management and decisions.
Often over worked and underpaid - however pay is not horrible.
lots of opportunity to fine tune your career and still stay within the company
Not great to start out.
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC13 January 2018
Great company to work for if you have an established book, yet commission structure is among the lower ones in the industry. You pay to work there, can owe them money for putting business thru.
But you do learn to sell and work hard, no other choice.
Mixed feelings
Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON10 January 2018
I worked for SunLife for a total of 13 years, and although I learned a lot and made many great friendships, it was a high stress job for me, and the demands only grew, making it harder and harder to find work/life balance. It was a great provider of benefits, but the work became mundane and too stressful.
Hard work for Great pay
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC19 December 2017
Sun Life Financial is one of the top insurance companies in the world. It's great for a career. But there is not much work-life balance. If you're willing to work hard, you can find your way.
Pros
Good Salary, Great Training, Room for Advancement
Cons
Hard Work, More Work, Stiff Competition
no way
Mail Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON18 December 2017
I worked for this company for 3.5 yrs and I was never so happy to get out of there..I was bullied by a co-worker and not believed or supported by my manager. Stress is very high.
Pros
benefits right away
Cons
stressful
Worst company to work for
Finance Executive (Former Employee) –  Thornbay Alora Alberta10 December 2017
Sunlife are criminal liars!!!
I worked with them for 15 years!!! We hire doctors and pay them to write false medical reports so that we can cut the benefits to our paying clients, force them back to work so that we can continue to deduct percentages from their pay check, this was my department I worked in and I couldn't continue to work in this environment any longer. How this company is still operating without a serious investigation is beyond me
Pros
Lots of money, bonuses and incentives
Cons
Losing your sense of self and morality

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sun Life Financial. Our community is ready to answer.