Sun Life Financial Pay & Benefits reviews

Zero growth opportunity
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON11 December 2018
Good place to get some corporate exposure, don't expect to climb the ladder here. Middle management's priorities are to protect their own jobs not assist others in their career development. You will be fought at every turn if you are seeking advancement opportunities. If you're just looking for a stable job with minimal effort required this would be good for you. Money is average, nothing to brag about just enough to keep you in place. No more, no less. Corporate culture is very prevalent here, many snakes and two faces.
Pros
Good place to gain experience
Cons
Politics, Culture, Mediocre compensation, Zero growth opportunity
rewarding selling job proportional to times put in
FINANCIAL ADVISOR (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC7 October 2018
-great incentives for hard work-seven days a week, evening and week-ends are required;
-many training opportunities for advancement as a professional;
-excellent employee benefits;
Good stable company to work for
Manager (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON23 September 2018
Culture is good generally, but it's a big company and so one department and manager can definitely lead to different impressions.

Excellent benefits and performance incentive programs.

Ability to change jobs is challenging.

Problem people managers are not dealt with fast enough.
Benefits
Cons
Little opportunity for advancement
digital mail
digital mail (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC23 September 2018
Worst company to work for , worst department to work for ! the managers are lacking intelligence! they give the better workers more work while not being able to manage their lazy workers who come in late or who dont hit their quota's! They expect you to do overtime which is fine but they do not value you as an employee. They have favoritism so when it comes down to raises & bonus they favor who they like rather then who works the hardest! I have worked for this company for over two years and let me tell you everybody is miserable at their job! Mail services and Digital Mail are the same department. cocky management and no attention to detail and cant keep the department in order!! good luck
Pros
Cons
everything above
A great place to advance your career
Business Analyst/Project Lead (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 September 2018
Employee culture is great.
Benefits are good.
It is fairly easy to advance internally, and the company offers an assistant program for career development.
Pros
Nice office, friendly coworkers, flexible work from home schedule
Cons
compensation is lower than industry standards
Lot of pressure
Client Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ontario14 September 2018
Big company but the call center is micromanaged , every moment is monitored, Lot of pressure to get sales!, you will be asked to stay for overtime most of the days and will not be in good books if you don't do it, The pay may seem good but you will be stuck with 2 years commitment. high turn over , always hiring!
Pros
Reasonable pay
Cons
Lot of pressure for sales
Worst company ever!!! Scammers!
Advisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 September 2018
Don't work for Sun Life Financial. They are a bunch of scammers. They charged you even for the air that you breath. They use the excuse of levels for not to pay you! I just quit after a year. They even charge you if a client cancels. They charge you for 10 years if you remain in the company, they charge you for office space, coffee, photocopies, Fax, your training. The government should look after these scammers! Even their president just Quitted!
Cons
Long hours, no pay, no benefits
it was okay
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON4 September 2018
they're an okay employer. management is to uptight. great benefits. I don't have much more to say in a positive manner. job culture is depressing and i see why so many go on leave
Good Learning Experience
Facilities Coordinator Co-op (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC30 August 2018
Sun Life Financial is a well-respected multinational company most commonly known for its life insurance, group benefits, and investment services.

My day began by checking my numerous emails, followed by daily meetings with management. My responsibility as Facilities Coordinator was to manage the "ticket" system. This system gathers all employee service requests across 4 Sun Life Financial locations in Quebec and Ontario. Then, I dispatched the work to the appropriate party, such as technicians, movers, and concierges.

The workplace culture is very open minded. There is opportunity to grow and management is very friendly. The hardest part of the job was detail management as little mistakes can be costly in the long run.

I learned to be more efficient and time conscious at Sun Life Financial. I recommend this job as Facilities Coordinator to anyone looking for a great experience!
Pros
Free lunches, learning experience, fun environment
Cons
Email follow-ups, micromanagement, stressful
Good benefits, high stress
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC22 August 2018
Excellent benefits, and really thorough training. The salary was great. But the stress level and the intense focus on achieving stats is too much. Very demanding. Not for everyone.
Good culture less politics for mid-management level, good team
Senior Database Administrator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 August 2018
good health coverage benefits
good environment
less WLB (work life balance) due to number of staff is lesser
Work from home allowed
Environment to developer multiple skills
Well management procurement team
License Management Analyst (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON26 June 2018
I had no issue with management or the job or location of the company. The hours were flex time - as long as your worked your7.5 hours/day - you could start anytime before 9am
Good Benefits
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON30 May 2018
Sun Life focuses on employee development but not much opportunity to move up the latter. You are just a number. The people are great to work with except management.
Pros
Benefits and Salary
Cons
No work/life balance and poor management
Sun Life Financial Advisor
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON21 May 2018
I've been with the company for 3 years and I made the best decision to move from a major bank. The compensation provided is above average provided that I continue to keep my activities consistent. I'm able to build my own client base and that explains why the payout for every plan I set up is fairly generous. Most importantly the culture and the support at the Scarborough Financial Centre is outstanding. Everyone is treated like family and the management team is unlike no other leadership team I have experienced in the past. They give it their all to ensure that everyone is supported.
Pros
Great culture at the Scarborough Financial Centre, Generous up front compensation plus residual income, Build own client base, guaranteed payout when we leave the role or retire, Flexibility, Work/life balance
Cons
Work long hours, lots of paperwork for Wealth transactions
Decent place to work
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 April 2018
I was only there on contract. Overall, seems like a decent place to work for. I hear the company has good benefits, a plus for a full time position. Nice new downtown building.
Pros
free coffee and tea
Horrible company
Life Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 April 2018
The environment is what makes a great office so when you work with a great team and you get along with your co-workers all is great but corporate wise this company is one of the worst. The calls I've received from clients and previous employees who are unable to receive benefits was atrocious.

Would rather work with Manulife or Primerica, when considering other institutions.
Changed a lot in 8 years
Digital production associate (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC28 March 2018
When I was first hired the department was new and nobody knew how it would evolve over time. The standards have been raised, it is now a job for younger people with high quotas and very strict attention to details.
Pros
Great team
Cons
Never see the sun again
Good culture
Advisor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON20 March 2018
Running your own business, are responsible for all aspects of the job.

Very long hours. Can be very rewarding if willing to learn and put the time and effort in (60 + hours/week)
Pros
run your own business, make own hours, unlimited earning potential
Cons
100% commission, you will always be working!
Robotic culture
Bilingual Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC19 March 2018
Poor management. Work culture is too robotic. No place for serious advancement. Excellent pay and benefits for the quantity of work you will be doing.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Breaks are timed to the second
High stress job
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 March 2018
Lots of perks and incentives and bonuses for new advisors. Good for the first year, it gets harder. Not good for single income households. High pressure high stress job. Lots of studying continuesly.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sun Life Financial. Our community is ready to answer.