Sun Life Financial Employee Reviews

Sun Life evaluation
Financial representative (Former Employee) –  1155 metcalfe, montreal, quebec14 February 2019
My director at Sun Life use to YELL and Shout at the staff and insult us team by team when productivity was not at her standards. I found the approach to be unprofessionnal and disrespecful . I asked for a religious day off when my schedual was planned out perfectly well in Advanced and I got reprimanded because her Superior approved my day off that I was supposed to have.
Pros
Company has the best 50% R.I.S.P. contribution plan
Cons
Disorganization
Lack of work life balance
Director (Former Employee) –  Greater Toronto Area, ON10 February 2019
I was shocked when I first came to this company. Lack of training. Sales managers, advisors’ lack of training and knowledge on products. I don’t trust any financial advisor in this company. They just sell what they want to sell you. Terrible culture. Management team has been changed couple times within the last few years.
Great company to work for.
Senior Linux & AIX Infrastructure Architect (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 February 2019
Great all round balance of work, learning and team involvement. They hold regular Town Hall meetings, and value all employee input and feedback. Lots of opportunity to socialize and volunteer for charitable events.
Pros
They listen to their employees
Cons
Great culture and unlimited potential
WEALTH PLANNING - INSURANCE ADVISOR (Current Employee) –  Charlottetown, PE6 February 2019
I really enjoy this company, the focus on you and your development. You must work extremely hard and have great daily habits. They will help you where they can and help you reach your goals.
Mostly good
Director, Business Projects & Solutions (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON5 February 2019
My experience at Sunlife was very dependent on my leader at the time. I spent many great years working there and unfortunately the person who hired me in my final role, whom I loved moved on. This was the motivation for me to leave Sunlife.
Great Company
ENTERPRISE RISK MANAGEMENT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 January 2019
Just like any other major organization, experience will vary based on the department or area of work as well as who your manager is.
Risk Management is a great in Sun Life.
Great leadership and coworkers. Good and bad similar to any other big financial institution.
I only left due to an opportunity i couldn't turn down.
Pros
Smart people, great culture, well known brand
Cons
Some long hours when multipule deadlines converge.
Project Manager (contract) (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON23 January 2019
As a Contractor, it is a great place to work.
Sun Life has a great project methodology and many templates!
A typical day involves mostly online meeting as resources can be in different cities, different buildings in the same city and often team members working from home
Employees are easy going, advancement is there for same pay
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Waterloo Region, ON22 January 2019
The turn over is high, but that is to be expected with the stress the teams have dealing with customer care, and having their breaks constantly moved around.

there is advancement, but little incentive to try if they wont give you a pay bump or bonuses. A points system is in place to earn more benefits!
Pros
shuttle for your paid parking
Cons
no free coffee, pay for parking, little to no benefits
Inclusive and focused workplace with room for advancement
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON21 January 2019
I worked at Sun Life for over 8 years and have nothing but positive feelings. I have no post secondary education and I was never held back because of it. I worked hard, had a good attitude and I received several promotions and internal awards and recognition. Supportive management and accessible senior management who really took the time to listen. I would recommend the company to anyone.
Pros
Lots of room for advancement
Cons
Hard work, but very rewarding for any who really want it
Advisor (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS21 January 2019
A job as an advisor at Sun Life is not an easy one. My management made sure this was VERY clear from the start. It will require lots of work, long days, and plenty of emotional ups and downs. Trust me when I tell you, you don't understand what I mean by what I just said (unless you've had a similar role or you were a business owner before).

Be prepared to get out of your comfort zone. If you don't prospect, you don't have a pipeline. A salespersons pipeline is EVERYTHING. I don't care if you are a golden closer, if you can't get out there and talk to people and prospect, you'll fail before you start. This is not an inbound sales call centre.

A day in the life is what you make it. If you don't want to roll out of bed until 2PM and put a few minutes work in, you'll fail.

If you are up at 6AM, ready to go, ready to conquer the world, and are okay with coming home or finishing your work 12-16 hours later, you'll succeed. As long as you put in a genuine, effective effort.

The hardest part of the job is the self-discipline in takes to succeed. Nobody is telling you what to do.
Pros
Great training, Great culture, Great management
Cons
Long hours, hard work, You could work 40 hours and not make a dime (Unlikely, but possible)

Want to know more about Sun Life Financial?

Ask a question
Distribution Analyst Co-op (Former Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON18 January 2019
Great place to work, great people and great culture. Nothing I would change about my experience except possibly more opportunity for travel and collaboration.
Nice building in Toronto, comfy office in Waterloo
Senior Financial Analyst (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON18 January 2019
My experience with Sun Life was very good, except for the fact that our leader was not a people person. Apart from assigning any blame on the company for one leader, I think Sun Life is a great organization to work for. It is generally underrated in my opinion.
Pros
Perks are good
Cons
No free tea/ coffee
Sun Life Financial
Financial Security Advisor (Former Employee) –  Pointe-Claire, QC18 January 2019
I was a Financial Security Advisor dealing with insurance and investments. I had opportunity to work with new clients and learn about available products and industry. I was working gully on commission.
Pros
Knowledge, Free time
Cons
Commission, Different Hours
Amazing Team
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB14 January 2019
This position allowed for a lot of opportunity to advance from my current position and the wait time for calling for assistance was minimal. overall a great company to work for.
good place
Dental (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 January 2019
I liked working for Sunlife as an employee i got to work from home on a regular basis, which was a big helo not having to go into the office on a daily basis.
Pros
the people
Cons
My co-workers made work fun
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON13 January 2019
I enjoyed the work I did, however, it wasn't challenging. I always tried to move out of my position, CSR, but was never able to move to any other department because of my manager.
Challenging work environment
Office Coordinator / Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Pointe-Claire, QC9 January 2019
I learnt a lot while working at Sun Life. I developed better teamwork skills and learnt the importance of multi-tasking and being well organized. I learnt the importance of keeping information confidential. I equally developed my customer-service skills. I enjoyed helping and serving various clients every day.
I feel sorry for the people doing the work
Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 January 2019
The following quotes reflect the culture there:

"I don't have time, want or need to understand the problem or issues. I am here to make the decisions." - an Assistant Vice President

"There's only budget for one of us to be here, and just to let you know - I am not going anywhere" - a middle-mgmt. bureaucrat on my first day of work

"So is it done?" - individual who requested something in the prior hour's meeting after changing conference rooms with them

Groundhog Day

The new workers want to do a great job...and are enthusiastic. There are A LOT of workers that have been there 20+ years... who lack basic knowledge/experience, are territorial, counterproductive and overly bureaucratic. They will withhold information intentionally even if it is irrational.

95% unnecessary meetings with the same people back-to-back, 5% real work

People more focused on protecting themselves politically rather than fixing/preventing problems. General lack of common sense. Lots of "Load-Fire-Aim" with the ensuing triage and blamestorming.

Extreme reliance on unqualified off-shore consulting
Pros
Good Entry-Level Job, Lots to work on, Learn how not to do things
Cons
Far too top-heavy, Middle and upper mgmt not qualified to do their jobs, Extremely political
Engaging
Sr. Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON6 January 2019
- Great work environment
- Willing to learn old technologies. Multitasking is must
.- The company gives lot of opportunities to advance to other roles.
Pros
Free lunches
good work place
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISSTANT - CONTRACT (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 January 2019
I loved the work, I loved the environment, I thought it was extremely beneficial to my career advancement. Friendly, supportive, lots of team bonding, training, program events, management.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sun Life Financial. Our community is ready to answer.