Sun Life Financial

Sun Life Financial Employee Reviews

Self employment as insurance salesman good training and ok products. Not true self employment they still can end contract anytime and force sales minimums. n
Pros
Good brand
Cons
insurance
I had interview with the managers, got selected and hired. They scheduled me to write an exam to get my LLQP license without asking me my availability. I passed the exam, scheduled many appointments with the clients with my immediate manager. Acquired new group insurance and wealth and other businesses. Didn’t pay me a penny and when i quit, they didn’t give me any information on what to do with my LLQP license to keep it active. Poor management with excellent training.
Pros
Excellent training
Cons
Commission based and no advancement opportunities
Its a nice culture and they really care about their employees. A great place to work. Its been a wonderful fit for me and lots of opportunity to move around.
Pros
Flexible work arrangements
Cons
None that I can think of
Been a great company to work for, for 30 years. Can still work from home during the world pandemic. Flex time has been good for a single mother. Sun Life has taught me a lot over the years.
Pros
Steady hours
Cons
Small salary increases yearly
The work culture was like nothing I had ever experienced. Very friendly and inviting. I learned a lot about disability case management principles.My management was great!I felt the onboarding and ongoing training and development has a lot of room for improvement, which they are working on. The central case management software is also terrible but is also being completely redone.
Pros
a lot of paid time off, amazing mental health coverage
Cons
no formal performance reviews or clear guides on how to improve
Un cadre de travail collaboratif et motivant c'est dommage que le salaire ne soit plus motivant au fil des années.
Great salary and benefits but no loyalties from the company. Over stressed environment with no proper trainings nor support from managers. You have to be able to find your way around to train and be productive.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
No loyalties
The Sun Life career network is described to applicants as self-employment.This is the first lie. While it is true that the career offers a lot of autonomy over various aspects of the job, the management team will always be behind you to find out what you are doing, and if they deem these insufficient they will quickly become harassing.Recently, some regions no longer have a financial center, forcing applicants to make arrangements and obligations on their own, without Sun Life having to worry about anything.They have a good game. Resources, money, employees and etc, but Sun Life asks advisors to represent the banner well when the interest to do so is very low.Short-term commissions are lower than elsewhere. The fees are higher than elsewhere as well.Compensation and commissions are very complex and there are regular errors. Makes me think it's designed with the goal of stopping a full understanding of real pay.There are a lot of people in the hierarchy who are not honest. Be careful not to rely too much on them. After all, if you ever need support or whatever, it will be Sun Life first.Promises, promises and more promises, but at the end of the day, those promises are rarely delivered.In your beginnings they will be sympathetic, compassionate, available, but at a certain point things turn out so you have no choice but to listen. Clients are owned by Sun Life. So in your beginnings, you have no leverage, it is always Sun Life that will have the big end of the stick. They will make you do things you don't want and you will have no choice but to listen, because you - more...
Pros
A certain professional freedom
Cons
A lot
The work environment is highly toxic and it depends on who you know. HR is not independent in handling reported cases of manager mentally ‚Äúabusing‚ÄĚ staff even with supporting evidence. The executive leadership has been campaigning mental health at workplace this year, but none of it is enforceable. Manager has the power and sole authority to be unreasonable in their ask of you. For example, making it impossible for you to take time off to the point of you having to forfeit your allotted vacation days and using performance evaluation as the leverage. HR does absolutely nothing but work for the management.
Pros
If you are connected to the right people in the company, you can get away with high compensation and not having to do any work.
Cons
Scapegoating culture
Very disappointed at the way management did not support staff and created fear amongst staff. Compared to competitors Sun Life is far from employer of choice as they claimed to be. Sr. Mgmt action did not live you to their word. What they preached was not supported by their actions.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
but not worth putting up with the feeling of fear walking into work every day
Management doesn't care the staff bully and HR won't do a thing but get you firedNot a great place to work not appreciated for working extra and on top of all that they find any excuse to not promote
Overall supportive environment and plenty of opportunities for lateral moves to expand business knowledge / exposure. At times older systems can be hindrance for new projects but that's typical of large FS.
I became depressed working there.Everything I was told during the interview process was chucked out the window when I started, all the processed changed and they play a game of changing your manager that it gets confusing, in a span on 4 months I experienced 3 different managers
Environnement qui encourage les employés à participer à l'amélioration des procédures.
Pros
Avantages sociaux, horaires flexibles
Cons
Toujours en changements, il faut s'adapter facilement
The job is straightforward but the onus is on the Advisor to self-motivate, and to produce your own prospects. If you do not have a large warm market you will find it difficult. Also complex and continuously increasing requirements for compliance with government regulations.
Pros
Freedom and opportunity to build a substantial income
Cons
You have to be prepared to do the work, and be extremely self-motivated. Also, long hours
The company makes hard for the employees to perform. They make the employees go through much scrutiny just to create a show. In reality, your survival is greatly depend on who is your manager and team leader, you will find there are actually no consistency in the way the STD-LTD claims are handled. The job itself could be more satisfying to any case manager if they were not constantly micro-managed. Paid money is actually very low once you divide them into the total time you actually put doing your job. The benefits are provided by the company are in comparison to all other out there serving in same industry profile.
benefits
Cons
making it highly stressful
The support team from the district and head office is fantastic. Unique and above average compensation. Love the concept of upfront commission for any plan submitted plus monthly residual income.
Pros
Competitive compensation and outstanding support from leadership team
Cons
Earnings fluctuate but still better than average
lots of misleading statements. So be aware that they do not care for you and will only help if and when you are producing. Young new advisors recieve barely any help and from the get go you are thrown into the lions den. Be prepared to work long hours for little pay.
Pros
Access to seminars
Cons
Mistruths, hypocrisy, lack of mentors, the struggle is real.
This company is the complete opposite of a healthy, positive and supporting environment.When I was first hired, I was promised multiple and fast growth opportunities. The manager who hired me was set up by a group of people acting as a mafia in the company, pinned something on him and got him fired.The remaining manager who I reported to directly, stole multiple ideas of mine during interviews for other roles, only to find out later that the positions were either canceled due to 'funding shortage' or position was filled in Montreal.This company is filled with sneaky and fake people and I do not recommend working here or even dealing in business with them.
Pros
Nice view
Cons
The embodiment of modern slavery
Working at Sun Life, they gave me an opportunity to be my own boss. I was given the opportunity to work with the best mentors in the industry. I learned a lot about time management, patience, diligence and perseverance. It was indeed a great work environment at the location I was at.
Overworked, underpaid..you feel like slavery is still very much a thing. Your merits, hardwork, loyalty and stats are not recognized. The only way you are able to move up in the company is by licking management boots and even then they have their favourites. A lot of discrimination and sexism is evident coupled with office politics. I would not recommend anyone to work here!!!
Pros
Working in corporate downtown calgary
Cons
Poor management; discrimination; excessive workloads; poor pay; office politics
  1. Employee reviews