Sun Life
Happiness score is 51 out of 100

Sun Life Employee Reviews

Found 839 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,434 reviews

Chaos

It's been pure chaos since I started my position. Lack of communication from management is the biggest issue so far. Working remotely right now, got my equipment last minute. I couldn't get logged in to start my first day, I had reached out to my leader with no reply. The one screen they gave me didn't work, and it took 3 weeks for anyone to care. Training was okay. But then they just wasted time playing around the last few weeks and then threw us onto the phones. I feel like training needs to work, not the material itself, but the approach. Once on the phones you're basically left on your own to figure it out. We have a group chat, but rarely do the leaders answer our questions. We have floor support, but 1 out 20 calls you actually get someone. It's really hard being pressured to find the answers quickly, with very little support. Not worth the salary in my opinion.

Pros

work from home

Cons

low pay, little support even though they preach that they're there to help

Toxic. Detrimental to your physical and mental health

Detrimental to your physical and mental health. Not a healthy environment. Poorly trained. Highly competitive. Toxic.No work life balance. Works you to point of exhaustion.

Cons

Long hours.

Great Dynamic Culture to be involved with

The dynamically process and work culture made things streamline to get projects and task done. The hiring process at sunlife made the company more efficient as it made it easier to work with different business groups within the company, with a like minded attitude.

Avoid it at all costs your mental health will thank you

When I got the job I was so excited, sounded so promising and then it slowly turned into a job I instantly hated. You’re so under trained, under paid and over worked. They don’t properly train you and they throw you into it without knowing what you’re actually doing and they just expect you to know everything. There were 10 in my training group and after a few weeks of training 8 people quit within a few days of each other, myself included. We all dreaded working everyday, cried daily and our mental health was deteriorating. There is also little room for advancement and everyone you did talk to that got promoted actually demoted themselves back down because they hated the job and couldn’t take it. You’re also micromanaged daily on every single thing you do and they claim to be flexible with appointments but they’re all up in your business questioning your every move. Now I understand why there’s always such a high turn over in this department, avoid it at all costs!!!!!!

Pros

Work from home / Great benefits

Cons

Under trained, under paid and over worked

Toxic to the core

Highly toxic environment from management down. Entire team had issues with management higher ups didn't care, neither did HR. Many complaints about management to HR -zero has been done to remove them from office. Zero support for day to day tasks (manager literally had no idea what team did). Zero room for growth, did nothing to promote despite having a team of senior people. Boss spent entire day walking the floor doing nothing. Very shady management, saw them fire team member with over 25 years experience all because management hated them. Zero loyalty to employees-HR didn't protect our team. Never felt so lucky having a better job with a reputable company.

Pros

Having a paycheque

Cons

Management, management, management

One word stress

All they care about is being the first in the digital world , whatever it takes no matter how stressed their employees are ! Such a huge disappointment this company has become .

Pros

Flexible hours

Cons

Too many to list - biggest one is lack of employees mental health

Could be better

Management knows nothing about the business, we are understaffed, knowledge is not valued and we are grossly underpaid. Good place to start, bad place to stay.

I miss Sunlife a lot

I did not know Sunlife was that great until I quit. My manager gave me hard times, my trainer was unqualified. Everything went wrong for me, but today I realize that I was probably just unlucky. Benefits were A-(FREAKING)-MAZING. The call center manager was more than more than more than fair. I just wish I had listened to him BEFORE quitting. If I could go back I’d be blessed. I messed that one up.

Pros

Clearly benefits. And the relaxed dress code.

Cons

Employees were a bit cold.

Too many jobs sent to India creating stressful work fixing their errors here

Pay is a joke. After 16 years there and being a high-achiever I am nowhere near what my peers working at other companies are making.Management says they want you to take time for yourself and use your vacation days, then make a fuss when you book the time off.It was better 14-15 years ago before they offshored many of the jobs to India. Now nobody knows what they're doing and my team is stuck fixing all of their mistakes when it's not even part of our job. Look elsewhere.

Pros

Work from home

Cons

Fixing mistakes made in offshored jobs in India but no raise in pay

Very demanding workplace

Do not apply if you care about work-life balance. Management will not ask you to work overtime, but workload is intense, and you do not have choice to work overtime without being paid.

Pros

Salary

Cons

Work load and management

Supportive Management & Excellent Workplace Culture

Management and advisors work closely and collaboratively for the wellbeing of clients. Lots of opportunity for growth within the company. Training is always available and technology/technology tools are always being updated.

Pros

Supportive Management, Pay, Benefits

Great culture with great people

After working at the company for a few years, you can definitely see the inclusive culture and supporting peers you would expect from Sun Life. If you are looking for a work-life balance, this is the right company for you.

Pros

Great culture

Cons

Average compensation

Excellent training/ Commission based

I had interview with the managers, got selected and hired. They scheduled me to write an exam to get my LLQP license without asking me my availability. I passed the exam, scheduled many appointments with the clients with my immediate manager. Acquired new group insurance and wealth and other businesses. Didn’t pay me a penny and when i quit, they didn’t give me any information on what to do with my LLQP license to keep it active. Poor management with excellent training.

Pros

Excellent training

Cons

Commission based and no advancement opportunities

Life insurance not most financial forward products n

Self employment as insurance salesman good training and ok products. Not true self employment they still can end contract anytime and force sales minimums. n

Pros

Good brand

Cons

insurance

Great environment

Its a nice culture and they really care about their employees. A great place to work. Its been a wonderful fit for me and lots of opportunity to move around.

Pros

Flexible work arrangements

Cons

None that I can think of

Been a great company to work for, for 30 years. Can still work from home during the world pandemic. Flex time has been good for a single mother. Sun Life has taught me a lot over the years.

Pros

Steady hours

Cons

Small salary increases yearly

Supportive and fun

The work culture was like nothing I had ever experienced. Very friendly and inviting. I learned a lot about disability case management principles.My management was great!I felt the onboarding and ongoing training and development has a lot of room for improvement, which they are working on. The central case management software is also terrible but is also being completely redone.

Pros

a lot of paid time off, amazing mental health coverage

Cons

no formal performance reviews or clear guides on how to improve

Une excellente entreprise pour laquelle travailler

Un cadre de travail collaboratif et motivant c'est dommage que le salaire ne soit plus motivant au fil des années.

Overload of work not paid and not rewarded

Great salary and benefits but no loyalties from the company. Over stressed environment with no proper trainings nor support from managers. You have to be able to find your way around to train and be productive.

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

No loyalties

Sun Life above all

The Sun Life career network is described to applicants as self-employment.This is the first lie. While it is true that the career offers a lot of autonomy over various aspects of the job, the management team will always be behind you to find out what you are doing, and if they deem these insufficient they will quickly become harassing.Recently, some regions no longer have a financial center, forcing applicants to make arrangements and obligations on their own, without Sun Life having to worry about anything.They have a good game. Resources, money, employees and etc, but Sun Life asks advisors to represent the banner well when the interest to do so is very low.Short-term commissions are lower than elsewhere. The fees are higher than elsewhere as well.Compensation and commissions are very complex and there are regular errors. Makes me think it's designed with the goal of stopping a full understanding of real pay.There are a lot of people in the hierarchy who are not honest. Be careful not to rely too much on them. After all, if you ever need support or whatever, it will be Sun Life first.Promises, promises and more promises, but at the end of the day, those promises are rarely delivered.In your beginnings they will be sympathetic, compassionate, available, but at a certain point things turn out so you have no choice but to listen. Clients are owned by Sun Life. So in your beginnings, you have no leverage, it is always Sun Life that will have the big end of the stick. They will make you do things you don't want and you will have no choice but to listen, because you -

Pros

A certain professional freedom

Cons

A lot

Unhealthy work environment

The work environment is highly toxic and it depends on who you know. HR is not independent in handling reported cases of manager mentally “abusing” staff even with supporting evidence. The executive leadership has been campaigning mental health at workplace this year, but none of it is enforceable. Manager has the power and sole authority to be unreasonable in their ask of you. For example, making it impossible for you to take time off to the point of you having to forfeit your allotted vacation days and using performance evaluation as the leverage. HR does absolutely nothing but work for the management.

Pros

If you are connected to the right people in the company, you can get away with high compensation and not having to do any work.

Cons

Scapegoating culture

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sun Life. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4Job security/advancement