Sun Life

Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

Not a bad place for work overall

Political place. Hard to advance based on merit alone. Most managers are not good in their field at all and dump all the work on their staff. Very few people get promoted because of their achievements. Quite a few have left because of the lack of appreciation for their skills and talent. Feedback is perfunctory and useless.

Pros

Relatively good pay

Cons

Incapable management

Managers did what they could. But the entire Sunlife speech is a lie.

Don’t believe anything they promise you. It is all lies and you’ll be hit with a bunch of debt and be forced to quit. You pay for your office and printing, to hydro all the way to the air you breathe. When you don’t sell anything you don’t make anything but they still need their money. It’s not family friendly and sets you up to fail. Not worth it. Most months I worked hard to pay them. It was stressful and depressing because all I wanted to do was make a life for my family.

Pros

Great people you meet along the way are great and are just chasing their dreams like you.

Cons

Sunlife brand is set to fail you

Sun Life is a great place to work. A very inclusive environment and excellent work/life balance.

I have worked for this organization for almost 10 years. It’s a great place to work. A very inclusive company with an emphasis on work/life balance. Room for growth. Has women at senior levels of management without bias.

Fun place to work

Fantastic career with good people honest and look after you can't say enough about culture there people there look after each other and recognized for accomplishments

Advisor

The leadership in our eastern office is terrible. Promises were made to entice me though never delivered. Assistance or training was poor and morale in the office was awful. The brand at SLF is strong but it’s a mirage. I would say that the contracting department for mutual funds worked like a well oiled machine. But it doesn’t make up for the poor leadership on all levels straight to the top.

Pros

Procedures and processes

Cons

Politics and favouritism

Lots of Karens & Kens- managers, directors, avp's, vps stuck in old ways

if you are a Karen or like working with Karens & Kens this is perfect Karens been here since high school sticking around for their DB pensions a no go

Pros

internet access

Cons

Karens & Kens as managers, no salary increases, minimal bonus, pointless meetings

Evolving culture

Hiring seems to be not all that well thought out here. They may need you for 6 months, or longer - ask the right questions in the interview before accepting an offer.People are friendly enough. This is a sales organization, so all projects are tactical, and it is a bit of a spiders web of solutions.There is a clear disconnect between the highest level leadership and VP level, which makes for an uncomfortable culture. There is a general lack in the ability to articulate and stick to a strategic goal.

Pros

Fair pay, friendly people

Cons

Tactical approaches, evolving without wanting to evolve

Toxic. Detrimental to your physical and mental health

Detrimental to your physical and mental health. Not a healthy environment. Poorly trained. Highly competitive. Toxic.No work life balance. Works you to point of exhaustion.

Cons

Long hours.

Great Dynamic Culture to be involved with

The dynamically process and work culture made things streamline to get projects and task done. The hiring process at sunlife made the company more efficient as it made it easier to work with different business groups within the company, with a like minded attitude.

Avoid it at all costs your mental health will thank you

When I got the job I was so excited, sounded so promising and then it slowly turned into a job I instantly hated. You’re so under trained, under paid and over worked. They don’t properly train you and they throw you into it without knowing what you’re actually doing and they just expect you to know everything. There were 10 in my training group and after a few weeks of training 8 people quit within a few days of each other, myself included. We all dreaded working everyday, cried daily and our mental health was deteriorating. There is also little room for advancement and everyone you did talk to that got promoted actually demoted themselves back down because they hated the job and couldn’t take it. You’re also micromanaged daily on every single thing you do and they claim to be flexible with appointments but they’re all up in your business questioning your every move. Now I understand why there’s always such a high turn over in this department, avoid it at all costs!!!!!!

Pros

Work from home / Great benefits

Cons

Under trained, under paid and over worked

Toxic to the core

Highly toxic environment from management down. Entire team had issues with management higher ups didn't care, neither did HR. Many complaints about management to HR -zero has been done to remove them from office. Zero support for day to day tasks (manager literally had no idea what team did). Zero room for growth, did nothing to promote despite having a team of senior people. Boss spent entire day walking the floor doing nothing. Very shady management, saw them fire team member with over 25 years experience all because management hated them. Zero loyalty to employees-HR didn't protect our team. Never felt so lucky having a better job with a reputable company.

Pros

Having a paycheque

Cons

Management, management, management

Chaos

It's been pure chaos since I started my position. Lack of communication from management is the biggest issue so far. Working remotely right now, got my equipment last minute. I couldn't get logged in to start my first day, I had reached out to my leader with no reply. The one screen they gave me didn't work, and it took 3 weeks for anyone to care. Training was okay. But then they just wasted time playing around the last few weeks and then threw us onto the phones. I feel like training needs to work, not the material itself, but the approach. Once on the phones you're basically left on your own to figure it out. We have a group chat, but rarely do the leaders answer our questions. We have floor support, but 1 out 20 calls you actually get someone. It's really hard being pressured to find the answers quickly, with very little support. Not worth the salary in my opinion.

Pros

work from home

Cons

low pay, little support even though they preach that they're there to help

One word stress

All they care about is being the first in the digital world , whatever it takes no matter how stressed their employees are ! Such a huge disappointment this company has become .

Pros

Flexible hours

Cons

Too many to list - biggest one is lack of employees mental health

Could be better

Management knows nothing about the business, we are understaffed, knowledge is not valued and we are grossly underpaid. Good place to start, bad place to stay.

I miss Sunlife a lot

I did not know Sunlife was that great until I quit. My manager gave me hard times, my trainer was unqualified. Everything went wrong for me, but today I realize that I was probably just unlucky. Benefits were A-(FREAKING)-MAZING. The call center manager was more than more than more than fair. I just wish I had listened to him BEFORE quitting. If I could go back I’d be blessed. I messed that one up.

Pros

Clearly benefits. And the relaxed dress code.

Cons

Employees were a bit cold.

Too many jobs sent to India creating stressful work fixing their errors here

Pay is a joke. After 16 years there and being a high-achiever I am nowhere near what my peers working at other companies are making.Management says they want you to take time for yourself and use your vacation days, then make a fuss when you book the time off.It was better 14-15 years ago before they offshored many of the jobs to India. Now nobody knows what they're doing and my team is stuck fixing all of their mistakes when it's not even part of our job. Look elsewhere.

Pros

Work from home

Cons

Fixing mistakes made in offshored jobs in India but no raise in pay

Very demanding workplace

Do not apply if you care about work-life balance. Management will not ask you to work overtime, but workload is intense, and you do not have choice to work overtime without being paid.

Pros

Salary

Cons

Work load and management

Supportive Management & Excellent Workplace Culture

Management and advisors work closely and collaboratively for the wellbeing of clients. Lots of opportunity for growth within the company. Training is always available and technology/technology tools are always being updated.

Pros

Supportive Management, Pay, Benefits

Great culture with great people

After working at the company for a few years, you can definitely see the inclusive culture and supporting peers you would expect from Sun Life. If you are looking for a work-life balance, this is the right company for you.

Pros

Great culture

Cons

Average compensation

Excellent training/ Commission based

I had interview with the managers, got selected and hired. They scheduled me to write an exam to get my LLQP license without asking me my availability. I passed the exam, scheduled many appointments with the clients with my immediate manager. Acquired new group insurance and wealth and other businesses. Didn’t pay me a penny and when i quit, they didn’t give me any information on what to do with my LLQP license to keep it active. Poor management with excellent training.

Pros

Excellent training

Cons

Commission based and no advancement opportunities

Life insurance not most financial forward products n

Self employment as insurance salesman good training and ok products. Not true self employment they still can end contract anytime and force sales minimums. n

Pros

Good brand

Cons

insurance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sun Life. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4Job security/advancement