Sun Life

Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

Be careful when you sign on to be an advisor

There is no salary and the goals for commission are not attainable. The first year average pay is stated as $62,000 but that does not included over half of that being deductions from all the misc charges. They want you to sell to friends and family and the BDP at the North field location is not educated enough about the products to help guide you. They also don’t want you to talk to other advisors for help as it defers them from having you under their control. Go make base salary plus commissions first at another company before you put yourself into the hole here.

Pros

Own office, other advisors are good

Cons

Long hours, limited pay, expensive monthly charges

Terrible workplace with no regard for work life balance

Terrible work culture management is in the habit of intimidating people. Shift scheduling is terrible, no support from management and work life balance

incredible workplace

a workplace that tailors both your personal and your work schedule to your liking. you will never burn out working here. the people are friendly and everyone is awesome

Pros

everything

Cons

nothing

Good place to work but major challenges.

Had lots of opportunity to learn, grow and progress. Politics are brutal and diversity commitments aren’t backed by performance metrics that affect compensation so it’s talked about a lot but not really a priority since nothing happens to leaders who continually hire and promote the same type of employees.

Boring for me personally

There are lots who enjoy telemarketing, but it was just a waste of time for me. The training period was fun due to the great trainer. But for people like me who are creative and entrepreneurial, this is not the job for you. If you're into working 9-5, with reasonable pay and lack of excitement, then this is the job for you!

A very decent place to work!

Sun Life is a good place to work, lots of room to learn and grow and move up if you are motivated to do so. Good pension and benefits plan. Only issue is we need more people right now in my department, the work load is very heavy. However when I shut down my computer at the end of the night, I don't think about it or worry about anything until I start it up again in the morning. It's probably not the same for everyone, but for me the work/life balance is good. Paid overtime if you want to do it. Flexible work hours for a lot of positions, and work from home for most.

support growth and promotion with the company .good benefit, good work life balance, relax

support growth within the company and promotion with the company .good benefit, good work life balance, relax 9-5 job. competitive salary,sotfware are old

Engaging but repetitive

Not 100% commitment from other employees, some take advantage of leave system or benefits and then dip. Leaves others with jobs of other people. Pretty good salary if you're just starting out, opportunities to learn about financial industry without the weight of a big banking name. Great place to start but advancement seems slow and talking to customers all day is also very tiresome.

Pros

Overtime, benefits, paid 3 week vacation

Good company, gotta put a lot of work since is 100% commission based salary

Commission for working in Sunlife can be huge but it depends totally on you. You have to be ready to put on the work since is all commission. Management is good depending on the office you have to work but in general is good.

Pros

lots of potential for unlimited comission

Cons

100% comission based

Work place was very professional and organized

My experience as benefit advisor assistant was a few months, the place where organized, professional place.I learned a lot and my manager was informative and professional person.

Good place to work. Some managers are more motivated than others.

I loved working there. Great on boarding and training over the first few weeks. Nice perks and they allow a hybrid schedule which I really like. Nothing bad to say.

Pros

flex schedule

Cons

So so pay

Not productive and toxic workplace

Toxic workplace, where upper leadership decides what to do and people execute, then few daus later, they changed their minds and it starts all over again.

Productive, engaging and collaborative work environment

Amazing place to work! Collaborative work environment, managers want to see you succeed. Employees are all helpful, like one big family. Many opportunities for advancement or for changing career paths. You will be well taken care of if you work at Sunlife.

Stressful environment with stressful team leaders.

Employees don’t mean anything to them. Customer is king but they treat their staff members like they don’t matter. They keep promoting mental health awareness and yet they will fire you if you show any weakness.

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

You’re so easily replaced. You’re nothing but a number.

The worst place to work and bad for your mental healthRun run run like an athlete !!!

THIS JOB IS VERY BAD FOR YOUR MENTAL HEALTH... If you were planning to apply, RUN LIKE AN ATHLETE!!!No Management, Micromanaged, Undertrained, TOO MUCH INFORMATION ON EACH CALL.By the way, you will have at least 6 to 7 windows on average to open on each and every call if not more... THEY WILL SELL YOU A DREAM AT THE INTERVIEW.

Pros

WORK FROM HOME in your pj's if you will

Cons

The darn pay and everythang else buddy, Everything else, Smdh

Très stressant, pas de salaire garanti.

Stressful, no salary.

Every man woman out for themselves, no support from managers.

I had 3 managers during my 4 years at Sunlife, all told me the same thing, they’re there to advance their career and have no interest in their staff or customers, it’s all about impressing upwards. When I became ill, all my benefits were denied. IMO, the leadership is toxic, and it all flows down hill.

Pros

Free coffee

Cons

Poor managers, HR will not address issues of bullying or intimidation by managers.

You really have to care for the product

They are crazy about Agile for some reason which probably works in some situation but not when you have to collaborate remotely. This was before COVID mind you.

Pros

Probably better if you are full time employee.

Cons

Frequent changes, miscommunication between business units.

High performance team to support a big corporation

A interesting experience working with such a big corporation, full of procedures and rules . High performance team very goal oriented. Good balance between work and personal life.

Pros

Stable and very respected company

Cons

As a big company everything takes longer that it should

Managers did what they could. But the entire Sunlife speech is a lie.

Don’t believe anything they promise you. It is all lies and you’ll be hit with a bunch of debt and be forced to quit. You pay for your office and printing, to hydro all the way to the air you breathe. When you don’t sell anything you don’t make anything but they still need their money. It’s not family friendly and sets you up to fail. Not worth it. Most months I worked hard to pay them. It was stressful and depressing because all I wanted to do was make a life for my family.

Pros

Great people you meet along the way are great and are just chasing their dreams like you.

Cons

Sunlife brand is set to fail you

Sun Life is a great place to work. A very inclusive environment and excellent work/life balance.

I have worked for this organization for almost 10 years. It’s a great place to work. A very inclusive company with an emphasis on work/life balance. Room for growth. Has women at senior levels of management without bias.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sun Life. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement