SumTotal Systems Employee Reviews

Great colleagues in a stress filled company
Technical Lead (Former Employee) –  Hyderabad, Telangana30 May 2018
Almost zero work-life balance. Great colleagues. Challenging projects. Lots of opportunities to learn. Medium pay compared to industry. Very stringent and competitive selection process.
Never work there.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Nashua, NH12 April 2018
They have totally lost their way - circling the drain. Management is flighty and out to lunch - only concerned with saving themselves and figuring out a way to salvage the disastrous Charterhouse investment.
no comment
Financial Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Parsippany, NJ27 March 2018
no comment it was a temp job. company acquired Cybershift and the accounting dept was eliminated. I remained on the job to complete the stub period financial closing of Cybershift.
Good Company
Software Design Engineer - II (Current Employee) –  Hyderabad, Telangana14 March 2018
Good company with lots of benefits and also very good technologies used to develop their product. But the management is pretty bad and the politics played by them is pathetic. So called Architects in the roles are useless and worth nothing.
Once proud company left behind
Senior Director of Pre-Sales Strategy & Operations (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CA9 March 2018
SumTotal was one of the most influential and important companies in its market. However, they were not able to keep up with the competition and lack a strategy to now advance in the market. It is a toxic work environment due to this lack of vision that focuses on finding every last dollar from their dwindling market base.
Working at SumTotal Systems
Customer Account Support Manager (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FL16 February 2018
A typical day would be meeting with clients to discuss their current case load, metrics, and any urgent escalations.
If there were any internal meetings, I attended those as well.
My job consisted of ensuring the client's account was taken care of, work on escalations for a timely resolution, and assisting my teammates when needed. We watched each others accounts while out of the office or traveling.
The hardest part of the job is learning the products and your position. The onboarding went over the company in a whole but not as much with the position. You have to be in the position to learn what it takes to do it. This taught me well. Anytime I had a question or needed help, everyone in the company including mgmt were very helpful and took the time to explain things to me.
We have a great team and my manager is awesome. I have learned a lot to take with me and gained a lot of new friends and colleagues.
Bleak future
Customer Sales Director (Current Employee) –  Remote2 February 2018
Diminished sales pipeline due to a hyper-competitive marketplace with far more innovative products
Senior Management has completely turned over in the past 2 years and the culture has changed (for the worse)
Sales is expected to share hotel rooms when traveling
Unrealistic sales quotas
Employees are only given 2 weeks of vacation
Absolutely horrible
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Remote15 January 2018
If you Google "working in a toxic environment", you find numerous articles that describe SumTotal perfectly:

-Narcissistic Management
-Lack of Transparency
-Management focuses solely on what employees are doing wrong and rarely gives positive feedback
-A singular focus on micromanaging employees
-No concern for work-life balance
-People are considered to be objects and there is little concern for their happiness or well-being
-No opportunity for advancement
-No financial opportunity to reward hard work
Pros
Working remotely
Cons
See list above
Everyone in office is miserable, or seems that way.
Customer Sales Director (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IA10 January 2018
Incompetent management - 2 out of 3 don't know how to use the pricing tool in Salesforce. No positive reinforcement, unattainable sales goals. Very clique-ish.
Pros
Free lunches, Parent Company is Outstanding. (wish I worked for them)
Cons
Micromanagement like I have never seen before.
It's a paycheck, nothing more
Customer Success Manager (Current Employee) –  Remote9 January 2018
Pretty horrible place to work with no career opportunity and no respect from Management. Employees are expected to lie to customers about the bug-ridden products resulting in angry customers. As a result, customers have been leaving rapidly and no new customers are coming on-board. This has driven mass attrition and layoffs over the past year.
Pros
Working with big name customers (those that have not left, yet)
Cons
Worst treatment of employees by Senior Leadership I have ever seen
Toxic environment
Professional Services (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FL5 January 2018
Very toxic work environment
Overwhelming micromanagement from senior leadership
Horribly flawed products
Rapidly shrinking customer base
Zero appreciation for employees
Pros
Work from home policy
Cons
expectation to work 245x7 with zero appreciation
Good work culture and perks
System administrator, Cloud Operations (Former Employee) –  Hyderabad, Telangana28 December 2017
I had to leave the company because I was in support role and I did not enjoy it much. But it's a good company with great perks. Work load depends on the team you are working with.It greatly varies from team to team.
Pros
Free dinners, More paid holidays, cab facility
Cons
Stressful during product releases, less organized
Technical systems engineer II (Current Employee) –  hyderbad, Telangana21 November 2017
Good place to work, food free and the work life balance is bad. Ceovery good person the problem is sometimes you have to work in night shifts which can be a health affecting factors apart from which I think the facilities provided by symtotal are good
good to work
QA Engineer (Current Employee) –  hyd, Telangana5 September 2017
its a nice place to work for an employee,more benefits like snack coupans,montghly lunch team outings.timings are not considered
work quality is checked
Pros
Timings are not considered
Cons
Timings are not considered
Good company but poorly structured
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FL8 August 2017
My position is supposed to be more strategic, but I end up chasing cases all day long - making sure other people are doing their jobs. I have all the responsibility of keeping the customers happy with no authority to make sure the other people do their part of the job.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Poor senior management
fun loving work place with great growth
Software Design Engineer (Former Employee) –  Hyderabad, Telangana3 August 2017
It's a work place you can prefer to grow yourself as an professional.
You can grow as an technology specialist or you can chose to go to the management side. It basically the product based firm.
Not the best company culture that I have experienced
ACCOUNT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WA6 July 2017
Worked here for about 8 months, and during which period I was constantly confused by the process for sales, and became even more confused when they fired me out of nowhere.

Some people may have had different experiences while working for this company, but I definitely struggled each day to even get the salesforce tool updated for sales forecasts.
Cons
Totally
Nothing Long Term
Technical Support Engineer II (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FL24 May 2017
This is a great company if you are fresh out of school or looking for something to get by. However, there is no long term option here. No opportunities for advancement, and you will be lucky to ever sniff a semi decent raise.
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Hyderabad INDIA11 May 2017
Good working environment, Extremely good Management and the company makes sure that every employee has good work life balance loads to learn from modules provided by the company
Employee friendly
Data Centre Administrator II (Current Employee) –  Hyderabad, Telangana28 April 2017
I would recommend freshers to start their career with sumtotal. It provided good work life balance . It provide good incentives as well , but the hikes will be less.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SumTotal Systems. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9