SUMMIT TOOLS
Here to help
Coronavirus update

SUMMIT TOOLS Employee Reviews

Featured review
SUMMIT TOOLS selected this as a representative review
I have been working at Summit Tools for a few months now and I have really enjoyed it so far. The Burnaby location is a good place to be if you are motivated and a hard worker, the company and the customers require the employees to work hard and be knowledgeable, which is a good match for me and my tool experience!

Aside from the job, I really like my co-workers, they make the job enjoyable and the culture in the store is really great. There is always lots going on that keeps the staff and managers busy, but I always feel like they have time to help me and answer my questions.

One of the best things about this job is that it is full-time, which isn't always easy to find. Another plus is that the pay is good and there are benefits available after six months.

The only downside is that you have to work Saturdays, so you don’t always get two days off in a row.
Pros
Fun co-workers, full-time hours, good pay
Cons
Split weekends
Great customers and staff. Easy place to work as long as you do your job. Would recommend this workplace to qualified persons. Pay is quite reasonable and advancement is achievable.
The manger and the management have no clue how to get the things done. Lots of politics at this work place. Manager is biased all the time.
Do not waste time and energy working here
Most of the people you’ll spend your day with are pretty nice, others are quite toxic. Will be judged on everything you do by your coworkers. Nothings ever good enough
Worst Company Ever, Regional Manager/Warehouse Manager consistently nags at the employees whenever a simple mistake was made. You are expected to do more work than described in the job description for cheap pay. Employee never got a raise promised to them after years of working there, Warehouse looks like a horror scene, as leaks all over and its flooded every time it rains. They will hire you for Tax purposes and fire you after a month or so with no cause. They make you shovel snow for hours when it snows. Just a ridiculous & Cheap company overall with Terrible Management.
Great place to work. No late nights and closed sundays and stat holidays. Fast paced environment and great co workers. Good culture and fair treatment by management.
Enjoy working with summit tools. Great collegues good managers. Time goes fast because there isnlots of customers
Really enjoyed working with everyone at Summit tools. Great Culture and friendly people. Salary is very competitive and if you work hard there is a lot of recognition.
Pros
Work hours life balance
Cons
working inventory once a year
Was a little intimidated with the amount of tools this place has to offer at first. I am fairly confident in using them however ensuring the customer received what they truly needed was a little intimidating to me. Management and staff put me at ease instantly as well were ready to assist me in every step with my learning curve. I will definatly miss this place.
Pros
Good atmosphere
Cons
None to think of
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at SUMMIT TOOLS?
Summit Tools is a good company to work for, as there is quick advancement and room to grow if you work hard and prove yourself. Most staff do not get two days off in a row which is a downside of the job, but you hardly ever work past 6 pm unless it is during inventory. The staff are friendly and fun to work with.
They were quick to respond to the initial application, I had a phone interview and scheduled for an interview within a week.

The interview was archaic questions like 'tell me a time when you disagreed with your boss', and many similar questions, basically no right answer type questions.

The interviewer was interrupted several times during the interview, kept apologizing but really disrupted the flow of the interview.

The interviewer, who was the store manager explained the typical work day, every employee was required to work every Saturday, every one gets Monday off and one other day. You work 8.5 hours per day, half hour unpaid lunch (which is fine), but they do not allow coffee breaks, you are permitted the 1 half hour break in an 8.5 hour day.

you get 2 weeks vacation, but June and July are blacked out, as is December, and several other "sales weeks" throughout the year, basically any long weekend.

If you do need a Saturday off, I was advised you need to request it at least 5 weeks in advance, even then there is good chance it won't be approved.

needless to say I declined the offer
Yes, you have to work hard and put in the hours.
Yes, you are held accountable for your duties.

Yes, you could be *gasp* critiqued.

BUT, this family owned and operated company has an amazing heart, and they truly care for those employees who take pride in the work they do. There are many long-term employees throughout all departments, and they are treated as family. They pay above average and are willing to promote within the company. Its mostly a friendly, professional, fast-paced atmosphere.
Avoid spend your time with this company.I was working there as a cashier, they dont give proper training to employees and they want you to know everything in 2 days without proper training. The person who trains the cashiers has no leadership, owner look is a racist and not helpful, this company does not value employees and treat them as a robot, the work environment is hostile and cashiers culture is terrible too much gossip.
An entry-level employee has to cover managers' faults, in other words, managers don't take responsibilities for their faults. They micro-management everything even though your personality and style work working.
Pros
Cons
Bad management with low salary and high volume of work
So far it's a great entry level position straight out of university/college. I've been allowed to develop skills I didn't learn in school and progress towards a career I hadn't considered.

A lot of assigned tasks are repetitive and easy to manage even when time consuming. There are few changes in the schedule, which can get a little boring. So going to your manager is encouraged to ask for tasks that need assistance, the office is pretty small it's easy to help out in other departments.

At times you do need to hunt down managers for information and training especially when new. They tend to leave you to your own devices which can be a blessing and a curse.

Coworkers are friendly and easy going. No complaints with the office staff.
Pros
Full time hours, no evening, no weekends, Sky Train
Cons
Deadlines, some boredom
I don't recommend anyone to work for this company they are used to use people and then fire then without justification; they treat employees like a robot, you can't not go to washroom, just in your 30 minuts break time, poor management, environment is very tense, people are just stressed and working under pressure, cashier position is good but they want to be very fast, so they dont care much about customer. On sales you can make good money but atmosphere is terrible.
Cons
Full time
You're always expected to clock in and start work 10 mins early, but don't get paid for it. If you clock out 1 min early, they deduct 15 mins of pay. They don't provide any training, and will fire people if they do not like them. Work culture and management team is horrendous. Owners do not like anyone making any sort of decisions without their consent. No place to grow within the company. Always negative vibes from employees about management team, as they don't care about their employees.
Pros
Salary, employees are nice
Cons
unpaid work, rude management
Official response from SUMMIT TOOLS
17 June 2019
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience with Summit Tools.
I would like to address the payroll concerns you had, as they do not reflect the approval system used. All hours are approved on a quarterly basis, if clocking in at 8:01 for an 8:00 shift there are no deductions until you are later than 5 minutes which is then a 15 minute deduction. The same applies to clocking out early, no deductions occur if you clock out at 17:42 for a shift that ends at 17:45.

Furthermore, if your hours appear irregular then payroll inquires with management to make sure no unjust deductions occur, such as forgetting to clock back in after a break. Overtime forms however must be submitted to management and signed off on before being submitted to payroll.
This company has some of the worst turn over I have ever seen. They use people and then get rid of them in the slow season. It is a poorly managed company with terrible culture.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Poor Leadership